Is there anyway to send longer text messages on the storm? I keep getting cut off at exactly 160. I know it's not a provider thing as I've had a Treo on Verzion for years and never had this problem as long as it was another Verizon number I was sending to. Is there some button I need to click or option I'm missing? Can anyone help?
    11-23-08 11:38 PM
    I do not have an answer for you but will be thrilled if someone does!
    I also have had Verizon as a carrier for awhile and I NEVER had this problem on my old device. Lovin' the Storm but this is a serious pain in the @*$
    11-23-08 11:43 PM
    i have had verizon for many years and it's always been 160. My gusee is that you had some sort of app tha split the text into 160 chunks and sent it out as two or three seperate text messages.
    11-23-08 11:43 PM
    on blackberrys on verizon and sprint this is a common known thing
    your old phone used to split the message up for you
    now it wont do it
    three options:
    split the message yourself (send more then one text)
    email
    mms
    11-23-08 11:46 PM
    damn for reals?!?!? that sucks balls, i came from the 755p and it let me write texts greater than 160 and would divide them accordingly, and the conversation style format...man i wish an app would come out for this
    11-23-08 11:51 PM
    umm.. I donno why people complain about this hahah go read on what SMS is "short message service"

when it was designed the protocol itself was limited to 160 thats a protocol thing not a carrier or any other thing then some phones decided to stretch it farther by supporting multiple pages as more then 1 text.....

if you need longer just do a MMS or even skip that together and do email you can send emails to any phone every phone has a email address for verizon its like [email protected]

keep in mind not every phone supports mms

hopefully in 5 years SMS will be history and everyone will just have email.
    11-23-08 11:58 PM
    dumb question but what does mms mean?
    11-23-08 11:59 PM
    I miss that Treo conversation style format for SMS also. Someone should be able to write an app that will do that.
    11-24-08 12:00 AM
    Even my LG VX8550(2G Chocolate) lets me write messages longer than that... oh well. I rarely type messages longer than a sentence or two anyway.
    11-24-08 12:07 AM
    I agree, an App that would split the message into chunks of 160 and send them when you're done with your message would be great. I'm switching from an LG vx9800 (oldschool) to the Storm and I've always had to type under 160, send it, then start a new message and continue where I left off.
    11-24-08 12:10 AM
    Yeah it would just be convenient if it split them automatically since I'm a lazy mofo. I would send MMS but not everyone has that capability especially people I know with the iphone
    11-24-08 12:12 AM
    i switched from an envy and i could type 7 pages of 160 texts on that.
    11-24-08 12:15 AM
    Yeah it would just be convenient if it split them automatically since I'm a lazy mofo. I would send MMS but not everyone has that capability especially people I know with the iphone
    Exactly, my gf has the iphone and i text her more than anybody, no mms!
    11-24-08 12:15 AM
    another question.... i sent two different messages today.. they both have checkmarks next to them to show that they were sent but 1 of them has a small D on top of the check.... what does that mean?
    11-24-08 12:20 AM
    another question.... i sent two different messages today.. they both have checkmarks next to them to show that they were sent but 1 of them has a small D on top of the check.... what does that mean?
    My pearl does that too. I think the D means that it was sent to someone within Verizon network, while a plain checkmark is out of network
    11-24-08 12:29 AM
    the D stands for delivered
    11-24-08 12:31 AM
    Why doesnt BB make the text interface look like the blackberry messenger interface? I think this is the look that everyone wants for SMS (true conversation style). This is a much needed change in the BB OS.
    11-24-08 12:35 AM
    the D stands for delivered
    so if there is no D does that mean the message was not delivered?
    11-24-08 12:37 AM
    so if there is no D does that mean the message was not delivered?

no.... the reason why it shows the D is when its in network verizons network can verify that it was delivered but outside of network they can't tell so the check mark means that it was sent out through the network and should get there but there is no way of them to know for sure.
    11-24-08 12:39 AM
    If I am not mistaken the D with a check mark shows that the message was delivered
    11-24-08 12:55 AM
    no.... the reason why it shows the D is when its in network verizons network can verify that it was delivered but outside of network they can't tell so the check mark means that it was sent out through the network and should get there but there is no way of them to know for sure.
    ahh, that makes sense.
    11-24-08 01:01 AM
    dumb question but what does mms mean?

Multimedia Message Service (pictures,videos,voice)
    11-24-08 01:03 AM
    nice so now i can know who is "IN" and who isnt!
    11-24-08 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD