Well I figured out how to get the storm tethered to my computer, and when I connected of course it said "you need to sign up for the extra network connect for an additional 30.00"

I spoke with a gentleman yesterday with verizon and he said it was included in my unlimited data plan with the storm, and he advised there was a 10 gb cap for the downloads.

Thankfully I didn't click SUBSCRIBE and start using this feature, because it said it was extra, and it said the cap was rougly 5 gb. I called verizon this morning and they said it was ANOTHER 30.00 charge, because I am using my device differently.

How exactly does that work? 60.00 for unlimited data (a cap of 5 gb) to browse the net on my phone and my computer if I feel like having a big screen.

Is the information the reps this morning gave me correct? They had to put me on hold to verify it, the other guy sounded like he knew.
    05-23-09 10:56 AM
    Yep... Correct. Gotta love the VZW. Use tetherberry if you really want to do it. It's about $40 up front, but 3 months of that will already be cheaper than verizon's plan. I use it quite a bit and it works fine. Just keep your usage under 5 GB a month (no problem there) and you're fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 11:20 AM
    How is there a cap with an unlimited data plan? That's not unlimited. That's a 10GB data plan. I think someone at Verizon is confused.

I use Tetherberry. It's already paid for itself by using it when I need internet access on my PC in a place that charges for Wifi (Starbucks) or when the Wifi signal is too weak to be reliable (basement).
    05-23-09 12:08 PM
    Be aware if you use TetherBerry you are violating your Verizon terms of service and could be stuck with a large data bill. Do a search to see how some people got hit with a large bill.

05-23-09 03:06 PM
    Your tethering is capped at 5gig
    Your BB is unlimited

There are 2 data timers/counters in play with data charges.
    This is how it was explained by multiple reps to me.

05-23-09 03:12 PM
    Please please help me lose my anger towards the storm.
    05-23-09 03:21 PM
    I HATE my Storm.
    05-23-09 03:24 PM
    Hit yourself in the face with it until you're unconscious and unable to post. Problem solved.

05-23-09 03:48 PM
    so get rid of it
    05-23-09 03:48 PM
    I've used tetherberry for a few months now and have never been hit with a huge bill or come close to using 5GB a month. I know they say unlimited but its capped at 5gb for some reason. Yes, it does violate your user agreement, but as long as you aren't downloading movies or something like that, you should theoretically stay under the radar... Do some research and see if it will work for what you want it to do. Like I said, I use it and have been fine (so far ).

05-23-09 03:50 PM
    Hit yourself in the face with it until you're unconscious and unable to post. Problem solved.
    LMFAO!!!!!!
    05-23-09 03:58 PM
    I've used tetherberry for a few months now and have never been hit with a huge bill or come close to using 5GB a month. I know they say unlimited but its capped at 5gb for some reason. Yes, it does violate your user agreement, but as long as you aren't downloading movies or something like that, you should theoretically stay under the radar... Do some research and see if it will work for what you want it to do. Like I said, I use it and have been fine (so far ).

You are still violating your terms of service. Because you have not been caught yet, does not mean that you may not be caught in the future. It is similar to someone who consistently makes California turns at stop signs. You can get iway with it forever or once, but when you are caught, you will pay.
    05-23-09 04:26 PM
    This is kind of funny. I see people defending "terms of service" when ever tethering with a 3rd party app comes up. They start mentioning all the horror stories about big bills and loss of service for not going through VZW. I think these people must work for VZW or have a close family member who does.
    Back before the 8830WE came out I used a treo 700w from VZW and used PDAnet to tether. I used it all the time but never for anything very extensive. Just to read and answer email, browse the net for maybe an hour at a time. Never got caught. I wonder if the people who scream about violating "terms of service" ever speed, roll through stop signs, smoke a little weed, drink a little too much then drive home.
    I think if you tether "illegally" then don't mention it on this forum or display your pin. Maybe one of the self rightous will turn you in. Maybe that's how people do get caught.
    05-23-09 10:26 PM
    tethering will always be more expensive..

sad thing is I remember back in the day I had a samsung flip phone not even a smart phone I tethered to my laptop using the sprint network for free...
    05-23-09 10:35 PM
    The conspiracy theory will work for some, but just the fact that some of those who are not using the tethering service use the word CAUGHT, implies something to me. Sometimes it just comes down to right and not right.

Personally, I would never turn someone in unless their actions were endangering themselves or someone else. I don't see that with this issue.

Then again, I am intelligent enough not to use drugs or other illigal stimulants, drink too much and drive home and all of those other things. Just because you don't get CAUGHT does not make them right.
    Last edited by DJM1947; 05-23-09 at 11:13 PM.
    05-23-09 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD