I wanna try and tether using my BB Storm to my laptop. My carrier is Verizon and currently have the $30/mo Unlimited Data plan. Thing is, Will I get charged if I do this????? I need to know before I try this. I dont wanna rack up a bunch of fees thinking its unlimited like my data plan. Thanks
    01-20-09 04:09 PM
    it's 5Gig a month.
    01-20-09 04:12 PM
    it's 5Gig a month.
    5g/month tethering limits???
    01-20-09 04:16 PM
    Your unlimited data plan only covers you when you access the internet from the device. If you want to tether your device you will have to add the tether feature which is $30 per month and you get 5GB per month, it is not unlimited. If you have the $44.99 feature for BES access then the tether is only $15 but either way you wind up paying $60 per month for unlimited browser access from the phone and 5GB internet access via tethering with your computer. Anything over the 5GB is .25 cents per MB.

P.S. Lots of existing threads on this subject.
    01-20-09 04:18 PM
    The way I understood it from "the verizon rep" is that it's $30/month for unlimited data use on the phone. It's an additional $15/month to tether to a laptop/PC. The computer use is then limited to 5GB per month.

We were told at work that aircards/data plans before Jan 1, 2008 were grandfathered in and still had truly unlimited data use.

Maybe someone in the know can confirm/deny this.
    01-20-09 04:20 PM
    The way I understood it from "the verizon rep" is that it's $30/month for unlimited data use on the phone. It's an additional $15/month to tether to a laptop/PC. The computer use is then limited to 5GB per month.

We were told at work that aircards/data plans before Jan 1, 2008 were grandfathered in and still had truly unlimited data use.

Maybe someone in the know can confirm/deny this.
    You are right. $15 extra for tethering
    01-20-09 04:50 PM
    You are right. $15 extra for tethering
    It's $15 if you have the $44.99 BES plan, if you have the $29.99 BIS plan it's $30...a bunch of BS if you ask me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 04:53 PM
    its $30 for me and it is 5gig a month limit. Which should not be a problem as long as your not downloading. i.e. movies/music/hd streaming etc.
    01-20-09 05:03 PM
    lol I use programming that uses the storm as a proxy server and allows me to use internet on my computer with it appearing to be coming from the storm. Of course I am very careful to limit my use to less than 5gigs/month so as not to appear suspicious. There is an app out there that does the same thing. Doing so uses the phone(mobishark) and its limitation of 5 connections at a time but queues them up I can get up to 1.6mbps download and 768mbps upload in my area. Which is comparable to basic DSL speeds and acceptible for my use. I would be careful though using this as vzw could become suspicious but I have not had any problems yet...
    01-20-09 06:03 PM
    Yep, $15 a month additional to the unlimited data plan for Verizon subscribers.
    01-20-09 06:11 PM
    Can someone explain what tethering is to me?
    01-20-09 06:15 PM
    It's $15 if you have the $44.99 BES plan, if you have the $29.99 BIS plan it's $30...a bunch of BS if you ask me!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have 29.95 unlimted data plan and 15 tethering unlimted
    01-20-09 06:42 PM
    Can someone explain what tethering is to me?
    Me too. What is it?
    01-20-09 06:52 PM
    It's when you connect the phone to your laptop, and use it to connect to the internets
    01-20-09 07:06 PM
    lol I use programming that uses the storm as a proxy server and allows me to use internet on my computer with it appearing to be coming from the storm. Of course I am very careful to limit my use to less than 5gigs/month so as not to appear suspicious. There is an app out there that does the same thing. Doing so uses the phone(mobishark) and its limitation of 5 connections at a time but queues them up I can get up to 1.6mbps download and 768mbps upload in my area. Which is comparable to basic DSL speeds and acceptible for my use. I would be careful though using this as vzw could become suspicious but I have not had any problems yet...
    Well for VZW catching u i doubt they will. I use to tether on my HTC device with ATT when I'm on the road ofcourse and they never knew any better. are u using mobishark as well or are you doing something else to get around all of this. I have been searching for something like this for a while now. Unfortunetly I'm on an edge connection being a ATT customer so my speed will be slower but fast enough for when I'm on the wrote.

plz let me know what app ur using.
    01-20-09 07:22 PM
    I think those that are getting tethering for $15 on top of the $30 BB plan got lucky somehow through someone at VZW who didn't know better. The VZW website clearly states $30 on top of the $30 plan or $15 on top of the $45 plan...either way you pay $60. And I tried to wiggle my way into the $15 plan on my standard $30 BB plan, but got shot down my one of the CS Managers. So, $30 + $30 for me and they cap the tethering at 5 GB. But, I did cancel my air card, so I'm still saving $30/month anyway.
    01-20-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD