I want to get the 15 dollar tethering plan added to my account, but I want to know exactly what im looking for.

I currrently use Verizon, i have the BIS plan(29.99 Unlimited)

What am I to ask for? or basically am I just upgrading my account to the BES internet plan that they also offer?

Any help would definetely be appreciated.
    03-15-09 08:59 AM
    I don't think they have the 15 dollar tethering anymore. Its actually 30.00 extra a month plus your data plan, so it will be $60.00 a month. I just dropped it off my plan. I would recommend buying tetherberry once for 40.00 and save yourself the monthly tether fee because its not worth it.
    03-15-09 09:10 AM
    Can anyone help?
    03-15-09 09:10 AM
    With tetherberry i would still incur charges from Verizon wouldnt I?
    03-15-09 09:11 AM
    Can anyone help?
    if you really want to add it, its probably gonna be $30 a month extra than what you pay now. You just have to install the software on the CD your BB came with and call them to add. Just tell them you want the laptop connect tethering feature. They will be happy to add for you. Keep in mind that while your tethered, you wont get any email or bb messenger etc. Anything that uses data you wont get till you disconnect.
    03-15-09 09:13 AM
    With tetherberry i would still incur charges from Verizon wouldnt I?
    everyone is saying as long as you have unlimited data plan you wont. Ive had it for a week or so now and its not showing anything different on my data usage on my Verizon. It just shows as regular data. Its $40 a a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm using it right now.

TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere

there is also a thread going around about it somewhere.
    03-15-09 09:14 AM
    Yea, i know about tetherberry, I just dont want to be screwed by Verizon, in the long run, cuz for what Im planning on doing, I will be using mass amounts of data, which i bet will exceed 5gb in about a few weeks.
    03-15-09 09:22 AM
    Tetherberry is going to be great for awhile but in the long run of things it is going to be bad for consumers. It will either drive data costs up or carriers will put a cap on the internet feature for your phone or both.
    03-15-09 09:32 AM
    With or without which solution you go with you still have the 5gb limit. Might as well go with the one time fee with tetherberry.
    In regards to Verizons fee its 30 if you have BIS and 15 if you have BES (last time I checked at least)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 09:34 AM
    The easiest way to think of it is it always adds up to $60 to match the cost of a broadband card.
    03-15-09 09:37 AM
    Tetherberry is going to be great for awhile but in the long run of things it is going to be bad for consumers. It will either drive data costs up or carriers will put a cap on the internet feature for your phone or both.
    There is already a 5gb cap. They say unlimited because most users won't go anywhere near the hard limit.

03-15-09 09:38 AM
    There is already a 5gb cap. They say unlimited because most users won't go anywhere near the hard limit.

I am not talking about tethering I understand there is a 5gb cap on that. I am saying that they will cap data usage on your phone in order to drive tetherberry out.
    03-15-09 09:41 AM
    Maybe I am missing something. The cap is there even without tethering. Kind of sucks you have to pay more to make use of your allotted data

03-15-09 09:48 AM
    Maybe I am missing something. The cap is there even without tethering. Kind of sucks you have to pay more to make use of your allotted data

You are missing something....Data is Unlimited! Tethering has a 5GB limit and that will only cause a flag to go up at VZW that you may be violating your TOS. They may or may not investigate the high usage.

The tethering charge will be added to your BB plan to bring the total up to the cost of Broadband access amount which is 59.99.
    03-15-09 10:42 AM
    Its like everyone has said, its always going to equal $60. If you have the $30 data plan, its $30 for tethering. If you have the $45 data plan, which is for use with corporate email accounts, the the tethering fee is $15. Verizon doesn's stop your usage at 5GB, its a charge per KB or MB after that... I think its like 35 cents per KB. If you go onto the Verizon Wireless website, use the search button at the top to find Broadband Connect, and it will give you the charges for going over 5GB.
    I have just downloaded Tetherberry, so I haven't gotten a bill since adding it, but from what I have read, I haven't seen where anyone has run into billing issues with it. I think Tetherberry is the best way to go.
    03-15-09 11:43 AM
    what im not understanding is. Tetherberry runs off your data plan right?

I already know what im going to be doing will at one point or another exceed 5gb, i just want to know exactly if i need the plan or what? so i dont get charged for overages after my 5gb cap(if there is one)
    03-15-09 12:35 PM
    You are missing something....Data is Unlimited! Tethering has a 5GB limit and that will only cause a flag to go up at VZW that you may be violating your TOS.
    Wrong my friend check out Verizon's page about their data plans with smartphones, you have a 5GB cap.

"For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. "

As well when you tether your line you still have the 5 GB limit, check out here

Connect

what im not understanding is. Tetherberry runs off your data plan right?

I already know what im going to be doing will at one point or another exceed 5gb, i just want to know exactly if i need the plan or what? so i dont get charged for overages after my 5gb cap(if there is one)
    In regards to your situation, you will have a 5GB cap through Tetherberry or adding tethering to your plan. Being that you would have to pay $60 in two months you could purchase Tetherberry for that and not have recurring monthly charges. Note what Verizon said, 5 GB limit per line, after that they can cut you off no questions asked.

As for going over your 5GB, you can expect to pay $.25 per MB.
    03-16-09 08:01 AM
    I wouldn't say so. They just started implementing the unlimited data plan, I don't think there would be any type of cap or extra charge until we see everyone with unlimited data, if any cap at all. Which I don't see anytime in the next few decades maybe not even half century.
    Just my prediction.
    03-16-09 08:06 AM
    Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    03-25-09 11:17 AM
    If you decide that you do want to do the Verizon tethering, then all you need to do is load VZAccess Manager on your PC. Everything is already on the Storm. Load it up and the first time you use it, you will get an intercept stating that you will be charged. You don't even have to call. I have it activated, because my company pays for it, but I actually use TetherBerry, because it is easier. If they ever question me, hey! I'm paying for it. What's the problem?
    03-25-09 12:38 PM
    I checked my data usage on VZW's website, and here's what I get:

Data Used
    as of 03/24/09 11:09 PM
    547,218.22 KB Used
    Unlimited Data Allowance
    Usage Type My Usage Allowance
    KB 547,218.22 Unlimited
    View Data Details

But then, if you look at the plan details, there's this little stipulation at the bottom:

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

PERSONALLY, I think this is completely bullsh*t. If they are capping it off at 5GB, then say that. Don't say "unlimited" when it's not. They basically want to make sure people have to buy an internet plan at home and don't just tether all the time (hm, can anyone say Fios?).

So basically whatever method you choose, you're going to be topped off at 5 GB. I'm using VZW tethering, but thinking about trying Tetherberry.

I also wonder if VZW ever fixed the issue about misstating the amount of data used, there's an article here (a few years old): Verizon Limits Its "Unlimited" Wireless Broadband Service.
    03-25-09 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD