I have an unlocked Telus Storm (about 3 months now). I would like to set it up so it functions the same while in the UK as it does in Canada. I pop in an O2-UK Pay and Go sim card and when I get off the plane and set the network to GSM, bingo I have phone and SMS functionality on the O2 network. I would however like to get internet, email, Maps(GPS) going as well. Some research indicates that I probably need a 3G sim card (the one I have isn't) so off to the O2 store to get it sorted, where I am told that O2 does not support blackberry on Pay and Go (BUMMER). More research and I find that Orange-UK do support blackberry on Pay and Go. Off to the Orange store and yup chap there says all I need is a 3g Pay and Go sim card for blackberry and off he goes to fetch one.
    Not too far into the set-up process he says to me, "oh oh I just realized that if we do this it will probably render the internet and email etc unuseable when you get back to Canada".(BUMMER again) Something to do with BIS being registered with one carrier at a time.
    So after all this I guess I need to know if this switching back and forth between Orange and Telus is a difficult thing to do? Is it something I can do on the phone settings (re-registering or service books or ??) or would I need to get their Tech Support folks involved every time?
    I'm in the UK 2 or 3 time a year and would sure like full functionality on the Storm. Any help much appreciated.
    Cam
    09-17-09 07:44 AM
    I'm guessing if you want to keep your bis functionality then yes it is a headache,but for sms etc u should be able to just pop in a sim card,no need to register the pin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 10:02 AM
    Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you might need to get Telus to delete your BIS account so you can create a new one on Orange, then vice versa when you go back home. Someone here has to know the answer to that one.

As you likely already know, creating a new BIS account is trivial, simply log in and punch in your ESN/IMEI and PIN and set up your email accounts again... nothing to it. Deleting the BIS account is equally simple, but it involves a call to Blackberry support at your carrier so they can log in and delete your PIN from the BIS server. I've heard a rumour that some carriers charge for deleting a BIS account for some reason. I know Rogers doesn't because I had them delete mine (stupid me, typed in my username wrong).

As for the rest of it, you'll likely have to go in and delete your Service Books & Host Routing Tables and re-register (Options, Advanced Options, HRTs, Register Now) each time you switch networks. Maybe I'm wrong though. I've never done this before so I can't say.

Also check this out: shop.orange.co.uk/shop/terms#blackberry_payg (sorry can't post links yet)

Like any self respecting wireless company, they impose a limit on your "unlimited" access... 50mb to be exact! It might be virtually unlimited for highly compressed BIS services but still, 50mb is pathetic. That 50mb is also only for browsing, email, data and apps that go through the BIS, anything else is off-plan and billed accordingly (i.e. through the nose).

I'm moving across the pond myself in a year's time so let me know how Orange works out for you. I was trying to compare O2, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile for BB service just to see what they offered but they're all crooks as far as I'm concerned... same as here and everywhere else.
    09-17-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD