Story or no story, the Verizon BlackBerry Storm OS has issues : Boy Genius Report

On Nov 26, 2008 @ 12:05 pm, Crucial_Xtreme Said:

"Honestly I have to say the ball has been dropped. In the same honesty I have to say one side deserves more blame than the other. I just hope you all are wise enough to discern which one it is."

Don't get me wrong...I still really like the storm but for VZW to screw this up is nuts....but typical if you have ever had one their Windows Mobile phones. I get frustrated because everyone here waited for months hanging on the edge of our seats for August, then CTIA, and then BBDC and so on...and VZW releases the phone like this. For god sakes Crucial loved the device over the last 3 months and now even he is disappointed in the storm.

The sad thing is...I believe I have one of the more stable Storms'
    11-27-08 04:22 AM
    man I seriously think its is getting way blown out of proportion GO LOOK AT THE iPHone tech support forum right now

what more then 2 years after release?

look how many complaints and problems...

when 400,000 units get pushed to the public complaints come in on the internet because its the easiest place to go complain.. yes there is issues fine but its like were all blind thinking that every other phone is perfect...

it really does drive me nutz that you guys believe iin only 6 days that the phone is a flop!

my buddy bought the iPhone the day it came out and he couldn't even get it activate to turn it on in over a week. yes I do mean turn it on.. it sat there showing a symbol to plug it into USB port on computer on the screen so he didnt even get to play with it. and yes this being said iPhone is the leading handset's sold passing up the moto razr... more units = more complaints on the internet... you watch 2 months 4 months 8 months from now the storm will still be selling..

sorry 6 days is not enough time to claim flop and thats what it seems like everyone (shouldn't say everyone more like alot of people) is doing here.

The people that went out and got the device and aren't having problems with are less likely to go all over the internet posting how great it is compared to someone who is having problems with it.
    Last edited by noaim; 11-27-08 at 04:35 AM.
    11-27-08 04:26 AM
    man I seriously think its is getting way blown out of proportion GO LOOK AT THE iPHone tech support forum right now

when 400,000 units get pushed to the public complaints come in on the internet because its the easiest place to go complain.. yes there is issues fine but its like were all blind thinking that every other phone is perfect...

it really does drive me nutz that you guys believe iin only 6 days that the phone is a flop!

my buddy bought the iPhone the day it came out and he couldn't even get it activate to turn it on in over a week. yes I do mean turn it on.. it sat there showing a symbol to plug it into USB port on computer on the screen so he didnt even get to play with it. and yes this being said iPhone is the leading handset's sold passing up the moto razr... more units = more complaints on the internet... you watch 2 months 4 months 8 months from now the storm will still be selling..

sorry 6 days is not enough time to claim flop and thats what it seems like everyone (shouldn't say everyone more like alot of people) is doing here.

The people that went out and got the device and aren't having problems with are less likely to go all over the internet posting how great it is compared to someone who is having problems with it.
    Whether the phone is a win lose or draw the above statment is simply loaded with common sense. Cool.
    11-27-08 04:41 AM
    Whether the phone is a win lose or draw the above statment is simply loaded with common sense. Cool.

well the reason im stating this is I see people saying things like im not buying it or something because so and so said this... well

if for some reason people really do react like that and many less units sell over so much time... your less likely to get a bunch of updates... if the demand is there RIM or any other company for that matter will work even harder to get it up to tip top shape...

and no I am not trying to say this to any one person im just generalizing and getting my thoughts out there.

My device works very well and I have had very very little problems with it. I want people to understand when this thing gets updated and the faulty units are taken care of by replacements etc I still believe it will be a great phone.
    11-27-08 04:49 AM
    I am just a week into it as well. I am not jumping ship or running from the phone. I would have liked to have seen a software upgrade during this week at some point. If there was in fact a security glitch but the rest of the build was stable and fast like Crucial stated...fix the glitch and get it out. No one ever wants a phone that has the "not quite done feeling."

I don't really care about the Iphone...I am on VZW for a reason, and I am a corporate user as well. The only thing that the Iphone has over this one in my opinion is the kinetic scrolling (which would smooth the whole OS out) I am sure we will have more options in our App Store than we do right now.

At the end of the day it would just be nice to see the same urgency in getting the software updated as they did in getting it out the door...this is costing both parties quite a bit of money in lost sales.
    11-27-08 04:57 AM
    this made me think of uqmoore.
    11-27-08 05:37 AM
    huh? i don't get it?
    11-27-08 07:17 AM
    If the phone has software issues then I can live with that because they can be improved over time. My main concern is whether there are any hardware limitations or issues because those cannot be fixed or require getting a replacement phone.

I feel that the combination of RIM updates and the app store soon to be released can solve all the software issues that we are experiencing.

I am certain that things like suppressing surepress for text entry and kinetic scrolling can be implemented through updates or addressed by third parties using the app store because these are all software issues.
    11-27-08 07:29 AM
    for heavy bb users a week is more than enough time to make a fair assessment,,,it is a flop,from the way they understocked ther stores to the way the thing operaqtes,,,i mean please the screen doesnt lock while n call so you hit it with your face? everyones doin daily battery pulls? what i just mentioned alone makes it a flop imho...haapy thnksgiving guys
    11-27-08 07:47 AM
    I won't claim to be a BB expert but for my use I haven't had any problems with my Storm, couple little one time glitches but nothing since. If they rush the update and there is a problem everyone complains just like on the phone releasethey say it was rushed, just release the phone, they want it now. Now its the same with the update you can't please everyone, we have become a society of instant gratification a little patience can go a long way.
    11-27-08 07:54 AM
    Ive had mine for 3 days and its the best phone I have ever had - much better as it is that all the other berrys ive had - ok so the typing needs getting used to - and the portrait Vs Landscape confuses me - but hey its a new phone - new ideas and you get used to it ... I would suggest that all who keep posting on the berrys forums need to go out to a bif field and scream then gert on with their lives - its been said before on here - you either like it or not - stop winging and get another phone or dont ..... im certainly not put off by whats said here as I have one and most if not all of the complaints are not valid on my phone - it is as good as it gets .... im on O/S 4.7 by the way ...
    11-27-08 07:57 AM
    For some of us who are going to be new to BB, it is scary to think we might end up with a phone with 80.00 - 100.0 a month in fees and have serious issues. I never seem to hear people talk about the cost but that is a big factor for me in terms of my expectations. Right now with my discount I pay like 38.00 a month for my regular phone without a data plan.

This rollout has caused me to be cautious and wait until things shake out is all. The iPhone 3G rollout was a horror and they are still rather unhappy on the forums.

I really want a BB and like both the Bold and the Storm on a variety of levels. I was just surprised both had such bumpy rollouts. Perhaps I shouldn't have been but my mind set about what a Blackberry phone is sort of just made me think that. I wasn't factoring in the carriers as well as radically different designs.

That said, as a consumer, I found it absurd that folks cannot even get the phone for weeks. After all the hype and "available 11/21" they have done a
    rotating availability thing on the Verizon site for December. In a way I am thankful as I would have grabbed one on the 21st at the store when I went to see it had it been available. I think the staff knew there were issues as they stayed about as far away from those 2 display phones as they could. Usually they are hovering but the displays were almost unuseable. I chalked that up to them being on and perhaps needing charging or a battery pull etc but then came online and saw that there were actually folks seeing the same issues at home on freshly charged units.

If it's software, then I think in time RIM/Verizon will get it settled but yeah it has been disappointing after all the anticipation of a really exciting new phone.

I just want to make sure all is well. The thought of serious hardware issues is what has personally given me pause.

Dorothy

If the phone has software issues then I can live with that because they can be improved over time. My main concern is whether there are any hardware limitations or issues because those cannot be fixed or require getting a replacement phone.

snip .
    11-27-08 08:01 AM

I couldn't agree with you more, even with the small amount of bugs that I have (guess I have a decent one because my brother in law has a ton more problems) the phone is really growing on me. Its taking a little while because its completely different than the curve, but Im sure I'll love it in the end
    11-27-08 08:59 AM
    For some of us who are going to be new to BB, it is scary to think we might end up with a phone with 80.00 - 100.0 a month in fees and have serious issues. I never seem to hear people talk about the cost but that is a big factor for me in terms of my expectations. Right now with my discount I pay like 38.00 a month for my regular phone without a data plan.

I just want to make sure all is well. The thought of serious hardware issues is what has personally given me pause.
    Dorothy - this is a smart approach. Many here are enthusiasts and technology zealots. They are willing to pay $400 to get the phone and then break their contract if they don't like the phone subsequently in order to get a new one. Many people aren't like that, such as yourself.

1) Figure out if there is a provider that is significantly better in your area than another. They don't all feature equivalent coverage. Since most important is the forgotten ability to make and receive phone calls, this can weigh heavily on your decision.

2) Figure out if the phone will work for you. The Storm is an early adopter's phone. If you're going towards your first PDA, think about what features you need or use most. I know that I do TONS of data entry. I think the Storm's suretype entry system is very difficult for me and, while i could try to get used to it, I'll still be slower significantly. That makes a difference. What are you using it for?

3) Figure out your tolerance level for new technology. You don't sound like an early adopter. The adventurous ones are willing to take the step. There is no loss in getting a reliable PDA like a Curve, Treo Centro, or Windows Mobile device. Each has a different interface and you may prefer one over the other. If you just use email and make calls, the basic blackberries are excellent and easy to use. That's why I'm surprised at how much I like my curve. The perfect phone for me is the Bold but I have a much better contract and reception in my area with VZW.

Think about what works for you. The commitment and money obviously makes a difference. No shame in feeling like you want to make an educated decision.
    11-27-08 09:20 AM
    Thanks Slinky. I've been an early adopter/power user in computers but I am admittedly reluctant in this arena as I lack sufficient expertise.

I am out of contract with VZW and both AT&T and Verizon have good coverage here on Long Island so I can actually go with who I want. I'm used to my PalmTX (love the big screen/calendar functions/ability to run nursing software etc but wish always I did not have to rely on Wi-Fi to check mail etc) My basic phone is easy and reliable and cheap but I am wanting a more sophisticated al in one device. The BB concept really appeals to me.

At this juncture after waiting out iPhone, BB Bold and the Storm, I've decided I am willing to wait it out a bit longer to see where the storm shakes out.

I realize there is regrettably no perfect device but have to decide just what I cannot live without or with.

I will continue to play in the stores as I did find that time is a big factor with all of these in terms of ease of use. I had typing issues with all that were markedly lessened the next try on all 3 devices. I had to remind myself of how it took me a bit to adapt to the PalmTX and the stylus etc.

I appreciate your comments.

Dorothy
    11-28-08 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD