Original Storm manufactured 12/2/08 in Canada. Perfect except for some screen clicking issues at the bottom edge of the screen.

Requested replacement on 12/26/08. Arrived noon 12/29/08.

The screen is CROOKED. (Pictures to follow). Screen click isn't much better. This Storm was also manufactured in Canada but on 12/22/08.

All in all, I'm sending back the replacement unit and sticking with my original one.

I've got a Storm that can only be dinged for a screen that doesn't click perfectly on the bottom edge and a send key that is slightly loose.

Otherwise it has few crashes, solid battery life, little lag, and is perfect.

Not going to play the chase-the-replacement-game. Especially if I'm going to be billed $200 temp each time.

I have to commend Verizon on their excellent service and support (esp the speed with which this issue got resolved) and am now eagerly awaiting more firmware fixes to address the other small issues in the phone!
    12-29-08 11:13 AM
    I have the same problem. My screen doesn't click the best at the very bottom middle and my end button is really loose and not as firm to push as the other hard buttons. I'm surprised Verizon actually ordered another phone for you. I was trying to decided whether I should try and get a replacement or not (only had my phone for 10 days), but i was afraid i would get a crappier phone just like you did. I agree, besides the loose button, a few click problems, and the lag in the camera, its a pretty decent phone.
    12-29-08 11:59 AM
    i also noticed a bit of a crooked screen on mine (made 12/20). But upon further inspection, it is the buttons that are a bit crooked, not the screen.
    12-29-08 12:03 PM
    I have the same problem. My screen doesn't click the best at the very bottom middle and my end button is really loose and not as firm to push as the other hard buttons. I'm surprised Verizon actually ordered another phone for you. I was trying to decided whether I should try and get a replacement or not (only had my phone for 10 days), but i was afraid i would get a crappier phone just like you did. I agree, besides the loose button, a few click problems, and the lag in the camera, its a pretty decent phone.
    If you're having screen click problems try:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tho...m-look-101670/

or

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/scr...method-109036/
    12-29-08 12:06 PM
    Oh I've got the pictures that indicates it's definitely the screen.

What's odd is that the bottom of the screen appears absolutely perfect (aside from a slight gap that's definitely going to bleed light out)

I wonder if the actual slab of glass is asymmetrical? It doesn't even appear to be a positioning issue.

Poor quality control out of Canada. Really surprised a 12/22/08 phone would be in worse shape than a 12/2/08 phone.
    12-29-08 12:08 PM
    Not at all, they were very nice about it. I hadn't completed my sentence about a difficult to depress screen and they offered a replacement.

When I checked to see if it was a refurb unit or not, they assured me it would be an entire brand new box with the phone. Ordered 12/26 (Friday), arrived before noon on Monday.

I'm sure the new phone itself is decent as well (nothing else appeared physically wrong) but it would drive me crazy to no end that a replacement phone looked so asymmetrical.
    12-29-08 12:09 PM
    why did you get charged a temp fee for 200? This seems odd to me since that hasnt happened to me for my replacements. Also, vzw has said that the charge will be full retail price.

I would check on this as it seems a bit off to me.
    12-29-08 12:26 PM
    Post the pictures, because my screen is perfectly flush on the top, but crooked on the bottom. It really seems to be the buttons that are crooked on mine.
    12-29-08 12:28 PM
    Here's a comparison image.

My original on the left. New replacement on the right. I'm not crazy right? There's a huge slant across the top of the screen!!

12-29-08 12:30 PM
    Man, that's messed up! Either it's the screen that's tilted or the plastic piece is stuck on crooked or both.
    12-29-08 12:33 PM

Here's the replacement by itself. Unfortunately, I did not take images of the bottom of the screen but I assure you it was perfectly flush which makes the top that much more puzzling.

I spoke with 5 reps about getting a free replacement but because I wasn't exchanging it in store (ordered online, received via mail), I would have to be billed $200.

In a way, I guess it's fair since shady customers could certainly walk away with 2 phones then.
    12-29-08 12:33 PM
    Wow that is strange. Thats almost how mine looks only I have that issue on the bottom. I dont know what to do, do I take mine back?
    12-29-08 12:34 PM
    On the plus side, it makes me appreciate my original all the more.

I'm sure I could wrangle a couple more replacements out of VZW before they got tired with me but I'll make do with my 99% perfect Storm.

Hey, I'm not perfect. Why should my phone be?

12-29-08 12:35 PM
    Can you take a picture of the bottom for reference?
    12-29-08 12:35 PM
    okay, okay

here's the bottom

caught me trying to be lazy

see, perfectly flush! is the glass itself crooked?

12-29-08 12:39 PM
    Man, I feel bad for all you guys getting multiple Storms with problems Good luck man!
    12-29-08 12:42 PM
    That is so strange. Send that one back. Immediately lol.
    12-29-08 12:43 PM
    Maybe I am blind, but I don't see the problem...

Where do you see a crooked screen?

all I see is a badly installed protector...
    12-29-08 12:56 PM
    No there is definitely something wrong with the placement of that screen. Look at the zoomed in image of the top. The gap is much wider on the right side than the left.
    12-29-08 12:57 PM
    sorry to hear that that sucks
    12-29-08 01:02 PM
    admittedly, i'm not the best with photoshop

but i tried to circle the difference in gaps

i mean, it's pretty striking!

12-29-08 01:05 PM
    haha those are some funky circles, but they get the job done
    12-29-08 01:07 PM
    sorry guys... I am still not seeing it, but I am at work, maybe my monitor resolution/video card isnt showing the pic well...

**EDIT**

moved to the other screen on my desk and the pic is much clearer... I see it now.. there is deff an issue with that...
    Last edited by whyme4000; 12-29-08 at 01:19 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    12-29-08 01:18 PM
    Wow - that new screen is blatantly messed up - sorry it came that way for you. I think I have a replacement coming to me as well due to the "rebooting" problem and I hope it comes with good build quality.

PS - Love the circles ;-)
    12-29-08 01:19 PM
    Wow - that new screen is blatantly messed up - sorry it came that way for you. I think I have a replacement coming to me as well due to the "rebooting" problem and I hope it comes with good build quality.

PS - Love the circles ;-)
    I had to repeat kindergarten many times.

As you can probably tell.
    12-29-08 01:21 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD