Edsam - so are you able to set Anworm to be the default when roaming? Or do you have to delete your bis service book to prevent bis connection roaming?
    07-21-09 12:44 AM
    I am Yokosuka right now. I have my storm unlocked from verizon. Last time I was here my phone wasn't unlocked it worked fine on the normal vzw sim. Now that it is unlocked I got a prepaid sim from Softbank on base. Put it in my phone and tested the number via skype it rang. They have these phone cards here you can call the states for 10 cents a min on base here. The number dials but when I put the calling card pin in it doesn't register. I put the VZW sim back in the storm and I have no service. Weird.

I have my network set to 2g/3g. Data off just like I did last time it was here and worked.

I am going to Okinawa next month can't wait for my storm to not work there like an earlier post mentioned.
    07-21-09 02:39 AM
    What is global support phone number
    07-21-09 02:45 AM
    Here's a VZW answer for ya:

Roaming in Japan gives you a combination of CDMA and GSM technologies. Your phone will use both depending on coverage, so this is one place I recommend using "global" mode. Data will be primarily UTMS I believe.

Data plan for global blackberry is $65 on a monthly basis, and can be prorated. Global Voice Value does nothing there, so don't get it. Roaming is $1.99 per minute. Text is $.50 to send and $.05 to receive. Since internet on the data plan is unlimited, you should stick to PIN messaging or other instant messaging rather than using text. That will save the most money.
    07-21-09 03:02 AM
    Man, all I can say is I have a nice new shiny storm and it doesn't work because apparently the japanese communications networks and the rest of the world can't find a common ground to stand on.
    This Draconian Island sux to the twelfth power.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 07:46 AM
    Japan does use a form of GSM, but the frequencies are different. Our 3G can't even run at a full 3.2mbps, while theirs is running at around 7.4mbps now. Either way, I would say to get your Storm unlocked. It doesn't hurt to. I have already gotten my Storm unlocked. It took 3 calls to Verizon Global, but it worked. So if you don't get the answer you want, hang up and call again. Softbank is pretty friendly with foreigners, and has good rates. DoCoMo has some of the best phones, but they're ridiculously expensive. For a local number, there is also the option of renting a local cell phone number for a very short time. Much cheaper than a global plan, and you could just use skype for calling out of the country.

So far the only blackberry being sold in Japan is the Bold, running on DoCoMo. It had some serious heating issues when it first came out though. I'd check out their cell phones while you're there. Even their "dumbphones" have 3.2'' screens with 5 megapixel cameras and googlemaps pre-installed. Also, while we have our 160 character limit for texts, they have a 10,000 character limit for "texts". Hopefully your storm will work.
    07-21-09 09:02 AM
    >> so are you able to set Anworm to be the default when roaming? Or do you have to delete your bis service book to prevent bis connection roaming?

I use Anworm service book by default. You can specify Anworm's service book to be the default in the Browser configuration (Browser -> Options -> General Properties)

A couple other points I have learnt about using Anworm service book on Softbank.
    - He has different version available. If you download the package with WiFi service book, you will get TCP/IP_V2.1 which is the latest.
    - Every time the SIM card is removed, you need to reload Anworm service book from computer.
    - The Softbank network data seems to be gated or intentionally slowed down if you are on the rental SIM card. I have tested the same service book on Bell Mobility in Canada and Singapore's Starhub. Anworm's works fine without any hesitation or delay. On Softbank, there seems to be a network built in delay before the next browser request is accepted. When I picked up the card at Narita, the sales person was very reluctant to give me the SIM card. He kept talking about some guy racking up over $10K on data. I get warning from their billing department when they suspect my data usage is out of control. Anyone with similar experience?

Last edited by edsam; 07-22-09 at 11:44 PM.
    07-22-09 09:21 PM
    Well as far as sandbank and dicomo go they require you to "contract" a sim from them for a minimum monthly fee of 30USD plus 2USD a miniute and you must return the sim to cancel the contract in person or they just keep hitting up your credit card till you bring it back even if you don't use it. I've been here 20years. Its such a scam.
    Did you know that DiComo bought and owns and has their name on the side of the japanese senate building in tokyo? In big two meter high chrome letters no less.
    I just don't want to sign up and get wrung out.
    There must be another way.

07-26-09 07:17 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD