can i get T9 to be honest i am so fet up with sure type every time i create a message i have words getting mixed up with others and i just dont like it.. anyone know?
    12-17-08 03:22 PM
    I had an amazing idea. I used the search feature and found this thread!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...r-storm-112809
    12-17-08 03:28 PM
    I had an amazing idea. I used the search feature and found this thread!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...r-storm-112809
    Well, searching is amazing, but bothering to read that link to find out that this feature actually doesn't work is even more amazing.

The steps there don't activate T9. In fact, just look at the quoted steps:

Many many people seem to be requesting this so i'm going to show you how!
    From the menu do the following in order:
    Options > Localisation(Language for VZW) > Input Options

Predictive Input
    Spell Check

Both of these will be default enabled. Uncheck both, and then recheck them. Back to options menu

Now go to Screen/Keyboard >

Portrait View Keyboard = Multitap (Reset to multitap if it already selected)
    WTF? By un-checking, then re-checking two boxes that were already checked to begin with, no options were actually changed. So all the person is doing is just enabling multi-tap from the keyboard as usual, and multitap is NOT T9word.

To the OP - T9 was actually removed from the OS (at least from .75, but I'm not sure about .65) in favor of Blackberry's predictive text, which in my opinion is better than T9 (and I was a big fan of T9). It looks like you're going to have to get used to the way a Blackberry smartphone operates. Good luck
    Last edited by mdude85; 12-17-08 at 03:46 PM.
    12-17-08 03:39 PM
    If the conclusion of the thread is that there can be no T9 doesn't it answer his question anyway? Lol.
    12-17-08 03:41 PM
    It can be done. I got the new OS and changed it back to T9. Don't know how the heck I did it but I did. It is something stupid like that though, I didn't formally change anything. I was just playing around looking for it and when I went back to text it was there. Happened with both versions. Now I have the new .83 and I'm stuck trying to find out how to get it yet again. Stupid Verizon keeps telling me it can't be done even though I did it on 3 Storms. if I figure it out I'll post it.
    12-19-08 02:03 AM
    well.. if you use the dictionary well with adding things etc.. you can get suretype to work way better then t9 ever did..

t9 was not all that great sorry..

but now that the storm has a solid memory I type incredible on it.
    12-19-08 03:54 AM
    It can be done. I got the new OS and changed it back to T9. Don't know how the heck I did it but I did. It is something stupid like that though, I didn't formally change anything. I was just playing around looking for it and when I went back to text it was there. Happened with both versions. Now I have the new .83 and I'm stuck trying to find out how to get it yet again. Stupid Verizon keeps telling me it can't be done even though I did it on 3 Storms. if I figure it out I'll post it.
    It can't be done - T9 does not exist on the BB and it was never installed. T9 is proprietary to a company that licenses it to Verizon for use in some of their phones, but Blackberry uses Suretype and Suretype is actually a competitor to T9, so Verizon wouldn't request that Blackberry put these two different systems on the same phone. Not only is it redundant, but it's unethical business practice and it's already been shown by others that T9 never existed in the wild on the Blackberry. Somebody just loaded up multitap and mistook it for T9.
    12-19-08 11:16 AM
    Call it T9 or call it predictive text...either way, it works just like T9 did on my LG8700 (except instead of pressing space to get to the next word, you get the popup box).

1. Go to options>language>input options

2. UNCHECK, then RECHECK, "Predictive Input" (this sounds strange, but it works)

3. Press the BB Menu Button and select "Save"

4. Go to options>Screen/Keyboard and under "Portrait View Keyboard" select "Multitap"

Now test it in a text message. Type like you would on a phone with T9:

Works for me on .75. I prefer SureType, but it's nice to have the option for those that don't. Note that if you change back to SureType, you will have to go through the entire process again to switch back to T9.
    12-19-08 12:14 PM
    i think sure type is much better than t9 ever was...fwiw
    12-19-08 12:16 PM
    i think sure type is much better than t9 ever was...fwiw
    I agree. At first I hated it, but after using it for a while, I prefer it over QWERTY. The buttons are bigger and easier to click, and as a result, typing is much faster.
    12-19-08 12:27 PM
    jackattack, I tried this exact technique (including unchecking and rechecking predictive text) and still T9 did not work even with multitap enabled instead of Suretype. It is because T9 does not exist (Suretype is NOT NOT NOT the same as T9 for anyone who is wondering ... they are competing technologies).

With all due respect, it would be interesting to see a youtube video of someone using T9 on a Blackberry.
    12-19-08 12:31 PM
    jackattack, I tried this exact technique (including unchecking and rechecking predictive text) and still T9 did not work even with multitap enabled instead of Suretype. It is because T9 does not exist (Suretype is NOT NOT NOT the same as T9 for anyone who is wondering ... they are competing technologies).

With all due respect, it would be interesting to see a youtube video of someone using T9 on a Blackberry.
    I'm telling you...it works. I know the difference between T9 and SureType. Give me a few minutes...I'll make a vid and put it on youtube...

Whether it works or not on .83 is another story, since I'm still using .75...
    12-19-08 12:35 PM

Video quality is terrible, but you can see how it works...
    12-19-08 02:46 PM
    SureType took me a minute to get used to but I prefer it now. Extremely easy.
    12-19-08 02:50 PM
    Is it just me or does t9 not work on .83. It worked fine ob .76, but can't get it to work now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 02:58 PM
    It can't be done - T9 does not exist on the BB and it was never installed. T9 is proprietary to a company that licenses it to Verizon for use in some of their phones, but Blackberry uses Suretype and Suretype is actually a competitor to T9, so Verizon wouldn't request that Blackberry put these two different systems on the same phone. Not only is it redundant, but it's unethical business practice and it's already been shown by others that T9 never existed in the wild on the Blackberry. Somebody just loaded up multitap and mistook it for T9.
    Hmm. The video sure does look like he's using T9 rather than SureType. Dunno how, but the video appears to back his statement.
    12-19-08 03:50 PM
    Is it just me or does t9 not work on .83. It worked fine ob .76, but can't get it to work now

Its not working on the .83 as far as I know. Which is enough to make me downgrade back to the .75. And yes everyone IT CAN BE DONE. T9 CAN BE DONE ON THE STORM. I have owned 3 Storms so far and every single one had it. Its not a formal option like SureType and MultiTap though. I did all of these option which worked on the last OS but won't work on the .83, at least for me. I'ma give it till tonight to see if someone figures it out on the new OS. If not I'm going back
    12-19-08 09:56 PM

Video quality is terrible, but you can see how it works...
    Nice video. Agreed your camera does suck

Hopefully this video will stop the debate.

Suretype is nice, just takes some getting used to. T9 is what most people are familiar with, and they don't want to take the time to adapt to suretype.
    12-19-08 10:22 PM
    Yeah I am a pretty lazy person. Lol jk. I figured if there is a way around it I would take that avenue seeing as how I'm busy most of the time, Meh...I started my SureType training yesterday because I don't think T9 is compatible with the new .83 OS. So far I'm still a little slow but I am getting used to it. I heard that it is faster, once you've mastered it, than T9 because the keys are better. Anyone find that they liked the transition to SureType more than T9?
    12-20-08 01:06 PM
    SureType is like a faster, more reliable, and personal T9. Sounds like you are not quite ready for a smartphone.
    12-20-08 01:31 PM
    SureType is like a faster, more reliable, and personal T9. Sounds like you are not quite ready for a smartphone.
    FWIW, several non-Blackberry smartphones use T9. (Blackberry is not the only smartphone.)

I guess when I was using my prior, non-Blackberry smartphones I was not ready to use them.

I like SureType on my Storm, and I liked T9 on my prior smartphones.
    12-20-08 01:39 PM
    Can I just say that its really annoying to those of us who like T9 word to be told that SURETYPE is better. It may be to you guys, which is the way we feel about T9 word. So instead of trying to sell your opinion could you please just answer the freaking questions people ask, without personal opinion. Some people are so used to MULTITAP for goodness sakes that they prefer that over everything. So could those of you who think that SURETYPE is God's gift to cell phones, understand that some disagree and just answer the question asked. THANK YOU!!!
    06-08-09 09:53 PM
    T9 exists on .75 OS, but not higher OS'. I love T9 because I was accustomed to the locations of all of the keys. I didn't have to think as much of what buttons to push. SureType has to make me think a bit, but as others have specified, is more precise than T9.

T9 has three letters per button. SureType has a max of 2 letters per button except for "L" and "M". This is more precise than T9.

Although, i've become an expert at landscape typing. It's sooo much faster than either T9 and SureType. I hate typing with one hand now. Not as fast and since you can change some texts (common touch mistakes), typing in landscape it awesome!
    06-08-09 11:16 PM
    T9 made it so much easier for me to text while driving. Bummer right?

06-08-09 11:48 PM
    I used the T9 typing for the longest time on .75. But now it seems to not work on .148
    07-02-09 01:13 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD