Will you be able to use the mute button (hard key on top of phone) to switch the sound profiles? ie. put the phone into silent mode?

will it be similar to the Treo. when you switch it into silent mode, you get a confirmation vibrate.

OR...

will you have to tap the speaker icon on the phone screen and then select the profile you would like?

I have always like this feature on my Treo for two reasons.

1) I could look at my phone and tell if it was on silent or not without touching it.
    2) I could easily reach into my pocket and put the phone into silent mode without removing it from my pocket.
    10-20-08 03:31 PM
    you will have to change the profile from the speaker icon in the home screen

if you hold the mute button down it will put the phone in standby and save battery life
    or if on a call and you push it, it will mute the call

you could however set a convenience key to switch profiles
    go into options--->screen/keyboard
    no choose the right side or left side convenience key and set it to a profile
    10-20-08 03:34 PM
    i am a big fan of making my own profile. if you click on profiles then go to advanced, then hit the menu button and select new. then you can name it and specify what it does for each different type of alert
    10-20-08 04:07 PM
    I wish RIM would take a page out of the treo/iPhone page and put a physical sound on/off switch somewhere on the device
    10-20-08 04:51 PM
    I wish RIM would take a page out of the treo/iPhone page and put a physical sound on/off switch somewhere on the device
    I agree with this.

That was a nice feature of the iPhone.
    10-20-08 06:03 PM
    you will have to change the profile from the speaker icon in the home screen

if you hold the mute button down it will put the phone in standby and save battery life
    or if on a call and you push it, it will mute the call

you could however set a convenience key to switch profiles
    go into options--->screen/keyboard
    no choose the right side or left side convenience key and set it to a profile
    Can you program the mute key to be like a convenience key & go to sounds?

The current mute key actions aren't very useful for me. I would like to hit mute while not on a call and switch between my default sound profile (the one I created that is active) and the vibrate profile (when I am in meetings).

Having to tap the screen a couple times is annoying when all I should have to do is hit the mute button to mute the phone (put it on vibrate). I think RIM didn't do nearly as many usability studies for the Storm as Apple did for the iPhone. That device is intuitive... the Storm is not.
    11-23-08 12:28 PM
    With the pearl I used to hold down the # key and it would switch to vibe.....how do we do this in the storm?????
    11-26-08 04:31 PM
    if you lock the phone and then hold down the mute button it will go into vibe mode
    11-26-08 06:28 PM
    i have my left convenience key set to my profiles, makes it pretty quick.
    11-26-08 06:31 PM
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this really the case?

I hold my mute button down and nothing happens. It does mute when on a call so I know the button works.

I thought from this thread (http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ser...tandby-100629/) that the only way to enter standby mode was to trigger with a magnet?
    11-26-08 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD