Just got my Storm yesterday and am trying suretype. For text (like an email text body) it works great. But I have problems with unusual words, like email addresses. Suretype insists on inserting wrong choices and I find it impossible to get the nonsense word that is the proper address. An online tutorial suggested swiping the trackball to tell BB that you want the letters you type - but there is no trackball to swipe on the Storm. How do you override suretype when typing email addresses, urls, etc?
    12-17-08 08:31 AM
    it takes forever but whatever key you press, if it gives you the wrong letter, you backspace and type the key again. This will give you a different letter. For example, if you press DF... it gives you D. If you want F, you backspace, and press again.

It is much easier to do email addresses with the QWERTY keyboard. Or you could also add the words to your phone word bank
    12-17-08 08:35 AM
    i think what they meant by "swipe" is that you have to hover on the screen (no click) after you type a word, before you press space to move on to the next one. The cursor will move from being solid to "hollow" and you can move your finger back and forth and it will allow you to choose the other letter on the key you pressed. This method is a lot like using suretype correction on a regular ST berry. It's a bit cumbersome until you get used to it though, I use ST a lot on my storm, so i've gotten used to it.

the person above me is probably right though, for email addys and weird words, it's usually easier to just flip it and use the qwerty.
    12-17-08 10:16 AM
    I've found that Suretype will slowly but surely learn the most commonly input words and soon they will show up on your screen.

However I've found the eaiest thing to do is to go into your word list (options > spell check > custom dictionary) and enter in things like email addresses, unfortunately I cannot figure out how to enter the @ symbol into the custom dictionary, any ideas??
    Last edited by mdude85; 12-17-08 at 10:28 AM.
    12-17-08 10:25 AM
    Lets say you type in Georgia and the Suretype pops up (George, Georges, Gorges) if you want to keep Georgia, just click in the blank space above the keyboard (next to the popup suretype words) and it will leave your entry alone.

I cannot figure out how to enter the @ symbol into the custom dictionary, any ideas??
    Hit the !123 key to bring up the screen to enter a @
    Last edited by alabamr; 12-17-08 at 10:38 AM.
    12-17-08 10:35 AM
    Lets say you type in Georgia and the Suretype pops up (George, Georges, Gorges) if you want to keep Georgia, just click in the blank space above the keyboard (next to the popup suretype words) and it will leave your entry alone.
    You can also hit the esc key, or the space bar.
    12-18-08 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD