Okay, the manual for my Storm is at home and I am not. How the **** do you use the keyboard in portrait mode? I can't get anything to type except the first letter on each key. Please tell me I'm a ****** and I'm doing something wrong, and that my phone isn't busted.
    11-26-08 12:31 PM
    Okay, the manual for my Storm is at home and I am not. How the **** do you use the keyboard in portrait mode? I can't get anything to type except the first letter on each key. Please tell me I'm a ****** and I'm doing something wrong, and that my phone isn't busted.
    I don't use multitap when I use Suretype. I just press the key that has my letter once and eventually the word that I want will appear as I type. Then I press enter key to select the word. This accomplishes two things. One, it selects the word and two, it inserts a space.
    11-26-08 12:37 PM
    It seems to want to spell it out for you. I'm sure you can change the settings though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 12:39 PM
    It's not working for things like email addresses and proper names.
    11-26-08 12:39 PM
    I'm having the same problem and it's driving me insane!!!!! It won't allow me to scroll through the letters, it just selects each one and enters it.

Anyone out there, any solutions????????
    11-27-08 09:42 AM
    Alright guys, this is how suretype works:

There are two letters for most of the keys and you press each key once. There is a dictionary on the phone and it will look through it to figure out what the combination of the letters can spell out. Most of the time it will automatically select it for you, however, if there are multiple answers a little thing will pop up and you select which one.

example: type yes, that is also the same buttons you type for yea so before you press space you select which one you want.

you only press each button ONCE for ONE letter. It is kind of like T9 but 20,000 times better.

However, the OP is right in terms of it not working for e-mail addresses and proper names. That is when the landscape mode will work. If it s a common word you use you can go into the options folder and add it into the dictionary so it will pop up when you use it. It also learns, so when you repeatedly use a word, it will start to offer it to you in the pop up.

If you really want to use it for e-mails and proper names, then you can click each button once, if the letter you want doesn't show up, delete it and press the button again and it will give you the other button.

suretype is surprisingly simple and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Just remember, one click for one letter even though there are two letters in on box.

to clarify, suretype is NOT multitap. You tap it once.
    11-27-08 09:48 AM
    I prefer multitap in the dial pad mode and landscape otherwise. Regardless of the number of times that I have set multipat as the default, the function reverts to the keyboard of multitap without multitap ability. It is not sure type because the keyboard is not set up in two letter combinations. Frustrating to say the least!
    12-03-08 07:52 PM
    right now my multitap is working like T9/word, i hit the key once and it starts to spell the word..

what'd i'd really like is suretype keyboard setup, but to multitap on it..
    12-03-08 08:00 PM
    Iman is right. Mine works that way either in Multi tap or suretype mode. You just type the word, and eventually it figures it out and you go up and click the actual word out of a choice of 3 or 4 voicemail at work, voicemail at home, etc. etc.

I agree, not sure how this will work with [email protected]

I can't get the phone to display in landscape, once I start working in Portrait, it's stuck there, and won't rotate once I've started typing.

I am pretty fast in landscape, with 2 hands, much faster than my old berry, got lots more real estate to use!
    12-08-08 06:06 PM
    I also prefer the multitap in portrait, and qwerty in landscape. Tried suretype for 1 or 2 days. I started to like it, but I notice I use a lot of names when I write sentences and quite often slang and swear words. Naming places also gets kind of difficult. So I just use multitap for short sentences and qwerty for longer sentences. I don't know why multitap switches back to suretype every now and then though. That's kind of annoying.
    12-08-08 06:21 PM
    right now my multitap is working like T9/word, i hit the key once and it starts to spell the word..

t9 or itap in multitap would be awesome, but i am not getting that.

also it sucks to have to change to landscape to type a name.

how did you all do it with your pearls? when you had no landscape to switch to?
    12-08-08 06:30 PM
    I prefer multitap in the dial pad mode and landscape otherwise. Regardless of the number of times that I have set multipat as the default, the function reverts to the keyboard of multitap without multitap ability. It is not sure type because the keyboard is not set up in two letter combinations. Frustrating to say the least!
    Exactly!! Try using the portrait keyboard in Phone mode to look up a name in your address book. FUGGEDABOUDIT. And there's no Multitap option on the menu in Phone mode (and it won't go to landscape in Phone mode, so no QWERTY); so you're stuck with this weird hybrid of phone keys (3 letters per key - ABC DEF etc.) plus SureType, which selects a letter you don't want and won't display the one you do want.

As an experiment, go to Phone mode, Multitap off (which is does by itself, regardless of setting in Options), click on the Address Book icon, click in the "find:" field, and try to type the name "Kralek" on the phone pad-type keyboard. Good luck.)

You can go out of Phone mode, into Message mode, set the keyboard to Multitap, go back to Phone mode -- and it will work OK for that time only. Then it goes back to SureType by itself.

Any ideas or solutions?
    12-10-08 06:42 PM

I couldn't agree more. The Multitap keyboard blows something fierce. Having 4 letters on two of the keys makes multitapping messages a pain in the ***. Its almost like they want everyone to use Suretype but don't want to offend anyone by leaving out the Multitap option.
    12-10-08 07:41 PM
    Doesn't seem like anyone really knows what the OPs issue is besides me. In portrait I've had this happen also, wherer half the keys seem to get lost and only the first letter on the key works. To fix go to options > screen/keyboard. Scroll down and change Portrait View Keyboard from SureType to multitap and save. Then change it back to SureType. Should fix the problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 07:59 PM
    Voodoo and all:

That's the problem here, you can go to options and keyboard and change your "sure type" to multi tap but it doesn't hold up.

I've tried trailing it but cannot figure out why it changes back to sure type randomly.

What I have found though is that every morning before I go out the door, I pretend to compose a text message. When the window comes up and I am ready to type, then I hit the BB menu and select "enable mulit tap".

Then I cancel out of creating and sending the text message.

Once I do this, multi tap seems to be on for everything, memos, tasks, calendar, contacts, phone...etc., etc...

It's definitely some kind of sw glitch. Hopefully RIM will get this fixed as right now...it's the only single thing I don't like about this phone ...
    12-11-08 11:37 AM
    Just an update, mine corrected itself with the new .75 os.
    12-11-08 11:41 AM
    Is there a shortcut to switch from suretype to multitype?
    12-11-08 02:02 PM
    the only shortcut I've found is to hit the BB menu before entering text.

I have ver. .75 as well but it did not fix this glitch.
    12-12-08 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD