Hi everyone, I tried searching through the forum to see if there was any mention of this problem, but found nothing. I'm not even sure whether the problem is caused by my storm or is somewhere in the VZW system. Here goes:

I switched from att to VZW to get the Storm. Since I've had the Storm, there has been a handful of times where I will text or call someone, and the number that shows up on their call ID is not my number. It happens sporadically, but each time it has happened it has gone through as the same number, which has a local (Miami) area code. My phone number has a Chicago area code.

I called VZW tech support today and when they looked in their system for the calls/texts in question, they were not there. Since they're looking at all calls/texts made from my number, I'm not surprised. They checked the local number that has been going through to people's call id and it is not in service. Since they don't have "proof" that this is actually happening, they refuse to start up a support ticket unless my friend that has received one of these texts from me who is also on Verizon calls up and authorizes them to look at HER account to see that she indeed received a text from this invalid number. I've asked her if she will call in for me and she said she would but this is a total PIA for her and I'm not happy with Verizon for demanding this. So, I figured I'd ask you guys if you've ever heard of something like this happening?

Thanks in advance.
    01-05-09 08:07 PM
    pull the battery... JK just saying it before somebody else' does:-P

Bump for somebody to help this person.
    01-05-09 08:12 PM
    Go to Options>SMS Text and see what your callback number is set to. Should be your ten digit telephone number. I don't know where you would change it, but that would be a good place to start.
    01-05-09 08:23 PM
    Go to Options>SMS Text and see what your callback number is set to. Should be your ten digit telephone number. I don't know where you would change it, but that would be a good place to start.
    Thanks for the reply.

Just checked this, it's set to my number.
    01-05-09 08:25 PM
    If the number is incorrect it will let you change it and save on exit from the screen. I double checked mine and it allowed me to edit at will.
    01-05-09 08:32 PM
    Did your Number fully port over.. When did you do the port?????
    01-05-09 08:36 PM
    If the number is incorrect it will let you change it and save on exit from the screen. I double checked mine and it allowed me to edit at will.
    The number set in there was correct. This also has happened only 5-6 times that I know of over the month that I've had the phone, and it has happened on both phone calls and texts.
    01-05-09 08:36 PM
    Did your Number fully port over.. When did you do the port?????
    Did the port in December, not sure of the exact date but it was before Christmas. There was some problem with the port - I had to get on the phone with VZW support when the phone arrived so they could get it set up. But, the rep I spoke to today checked my profile and said all of the settings in my account were correct.
    01-05-09 08:38 PM
    I would do the following keep a log of Exact time, Date and # you called and the # displayed on the receivers phone, Doing this can help narrow it down and also by giving the # they get could help find out if it belongs to another account or help them figure it out.
    01-05-09 08:42 PM
    I would do the following keep a log of Exact time, Date and # you called and the # displayed on the receivers phone, Doing this can help narrow it down and also by giving the # they get could help find out if it belongs to another account or help them figure it out.
    I was able to provide the Verizon rep with a couple example calls/texts, as well as the phone number that is coming up on the receiver's call ID. It's coming up as the same number every time, and it is not in service. If you call it, it gives you a message telling you it is not a working number.
    01-05-09 08:45 PM
    Every VZW phone (i dont know if this is the same with every carrier) has a ghost phone number. It's the number that registers in their system when the phone is talking to the HUB. It could be that number. I believe they can still look that up for you.
    01-05-09 08:45 PM
    Every VZW phone (i dont know if this is the same with every carrier) has a ghost phone number. It's the number that registers in their system when the phone is talking to the HUB. It could be that number. I believe they can still look that up for you.
    Hmm that's interesting - would make sense too. I'll have to ask them about it. Thanks!
    01-05-09 08:48 PM
    Yup that's Referred to as the MIN.... You can find this by looking at your order receipt or in the settings i believe...

If you get a Replacement phone there is a Sticker in the box a big sticker and has that # on it.
    Last edited by ces911; 01-05-09 at 08:54 PM.
    01-05-09 08:51 PM
    Not a replacement so no sticker showing the number. No luck finding it in my documentation or in the settings either. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I have access to another phone line to call support from.

Hopefully that's where the issue is coming from. Then the question is, how does that get fixed? Is it an issue with the hardware?
    01-05-09 09:09 PM
    UPDATE:

Unfortunately, the MIN was not the problem with my phone. My MIN has an area code of 312 (same as my number) while the number that has been appearing in people's call ID is a 305 area code (local).

Since the texts and calls that are going through this way are not showing up in my call/text history in Verizon's system, they claim that they can't open a ticket for investigation on it. It doesn't seem to bother them that I can call someone and talk to them, and that call will not be logged and tracked by their system in any way. I have no idea what other kinds of communication problems I might be having that I don't know about.

Anyone have any other ideas about what might be the cause here?
    01-08-09 09:21 AM
    Set your Storm's network to XEV only under Network Connections. It's a reach, but it's possible it's hopping on GSM networks and doing this because of a number tied into the GSM card. Of course, the SIM would need to be unlocked for this to happen. Check the number on the SIM to see if it's got one assigned.

A more then probable reason for your issues is that the number wasn't properly ported over from AT&T to VZW. Get the number from your friends that shows up when this happens and call it. Find out what carrier or who it belongs to, if it even belongs to someone. Call VZW and escalate this to a higher support level and give them that information and tell them the locations you're in (tower attachment could be causing this in various areas) when this happens.
    01-08-09 10:13 AM
    Thanks JRS. No sim card in the phone, so that problem is ruled out.

I'll push VZW tech a bit harder, since I've done everything you suggested and they still haven't opened up a ticket on it. They don't seem entirely convinced that it's actually happening. Like I want to waste hours and hours on the phone with them.
    01-08-09 10:45 AM
    Well on the upside the billing system may not be deducting minutes from your plan either.....
    01-08-09 11:17 AM
    Well on the upside the billing system may not be deducting minutes from your plan either.....
    I'm sure it isn't! I'm on a corporate plan though, so no benefit to me.

I'm just concerned that I could be having other issues stemming from this that I'm unaware of.
    01-08-09 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD