I orignally saw those two windows images on my pearl and they looked identical. But now on my laptop (15in screen) I can see a difference. So *I* don't think the 3.25" screen will show that much of a difference. But I'll see the screen when I see it.
    That's because your pearl only supports the lower color pallet. So basically both photos were being viewed at the lower color bit rate (the 32bit image was being downgraded to 16bit because your Pearl can't display all the true colors). That's why it looked the same. There's a difference between 16 and 32bit coloring.
    10-04-08 09:50 AM
    Does it matter how many colors are on the screen? I mean if it's visually better looking does it matter that it has less colors? That's the whole point isn't it? I mean if I were blind and had an iPhone with 16 M colors and a Storm with lets say 1 trillion colors it wouldn't matter a bit, right?

What I'm trying to say, if it's looks better does it really matter how many colors it has?
    This is the point that I have been trying to make. Why does anything else matter if it actually looks better in person? People on here are busy looking at specs, when it has already been said that the Storm's screen looks as good, but even better than the Iphone's. If that's truly the case, why are people in here still discussing the amounts of color, etc? LOL. Since we have someone who's actually seen and currently uses the phone, I'll take his word as verification, and I'll see it for myself when it is available.
    10-04-08 09:55 AM
    I know that this is somewhat off topic in terms of examples, but if you look at the original PSP (PSP1000) screen and the newest PSP3000 screen you'll see that there's a pretty good "visual" difference. You can easily say that the new PSP has a much better screen on it, but the color dept and resolution has remained the same. What I mean by this example is that you can make a screen look better by playing with things like backlighting, brightness, etc. Usually better backlighting and a smaller screen size with a high resolution will make for a very good "look" vs poor backlighting and a larger screen. Anytime you play with resolution on a screen you can get away with making it look better by simply raising the resolution and keeping it's overall size about the same without even touching the color depth. Case in point, the colors pallet on an 8xxx series phone is the same as a 9xxx screen, but because the 9xxx series phones have a tigher resolution (high vs size) the screen looks better on the 9xxx series phones.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that the format of info being displayed will play a big role on how a screen will look. For example, take a 32bit picture and save it as a JPG and put it on your BB and then take the same image and save it as a PNG and put it on your BB. I can guarantee that the PNG will look better on the BB screen then the JPG will. Now that has more to do with the format in a way it handles the color pallet, but you can see how easy it is to "fool" your preception of the screen to simply make a screen "look" better.
    10-04-08 10:04 AM
    how did we go from comparing 16 and 24 bit to 16 and 32 bit ?
    10-04-08 10:21 AM
    how did we go from comparing 16 and 24 bit to 16 and 32 bit ?
    Because people were saying you can't notice a difference in color support, the 16 bit vs 32 bit is meant to clearly represent the point that you can in fact notice a difference.
    10-04-08 10:25 AM
    Man there are some picky as s people in this world. Never mind the screen looks better than any other Blackberry to date. And it looks better than the Iphones. It's still not good enough, and people want to pick it apart. For those who don't like the fact, go get something else.
    10-04-08 10:32 AM
    This is the point that I have been trying to make. Why does anything else matter if it actually looks better in person? People on here are busy looking at specs, when it has already been said that the Storm's screen looks as good, but even better than the Iphone's. If that's truly the case, why are people in here still discussing the amounts of color, etc? LOL. Since we have someone who's actually seen and currently uses the phone, I'll take his word as verification, and I'll see it for myself when it is available.
    Since when is ignorance a desirable quality? I can easily differentiate the difference between 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit color -- the differences are very obvious in areas of smooth color gradients.

There is no reason the Storm should only support 65k colors when its most direct competitor, the iPhone, supports 16.7M colors. This use of 16-bit color has no discernible impact on battery life vs. 24-bit, but it most likely allows RIM to use older and less expensive technology in its graphics subsystem.

RIM should be called on the carpet for this. The "well it looks better than an iPhone, I don't care about the specs" position is obviously a fanboy argument and nothing more. What's wrong in wanting the Storm to be as good, or better, than an iPhone?
    10-04-08 10:37 AM
    People will always complain about something. No matter what. In retrospect, it's not always necessary for you and brian to keep defending the handset. People pick on it and you guys defend it. Others feel the need to tear it down, you guys feel the need to back it up. Clearly it's a pot and kettle issue here.

Bottom line is if the screen had twice the resolution of the iPhone, 4.2 billion color support, wifi, gps, unlocked 3G for all the world and EVDO Rev A for the world, came with fully customizable keyboard layouts, accelerometer gesture control, and price tag of $899... people would simply argue that it's too expensive and the iPhone does the same thing for much cheaper.
    10-04-08 10:40 AM
    Man there are some picky as s people in this world. Never mind the screen looks better than any other Blackberry to date. And it looks better than the Iphones. It's still not good enough, and people want to pick it apart. For those who don't like the fact, go get something else.
    @Crucial
    People only have the specs to go off at this point. It's like looking at the specs comparing cars before they see it in person; just because one has more interior volume than the competition isn't going to deter poeple from buying it when they see it first hand.
    10-04-08 10:41 AM
    I always have to start out by saying I'm getting a Storm, but I do believe I'm allowed to criticize it for it's shortcomings.

Yes, the screen may look better than an iPhone and have a slightly better resolution, but if my wallpaper has gradient colors in it and I can see the blemishes, that will be disappointing.
    10-04-08 10:41 AM
    There is no reason the Storm should only support 65k colors when its most direct competitor, the iPhone, supports 16.7M colors. This use of 16-bit color has no discernible impact on battery life vs. 24-bit, but it most likely allows RIM to use older and less expensive technology in its graphics subsystem.

RIM should be called on the carpet for this. The "well it looks better than an iPhone, I don't care about the specs" position is obviously a fanboy argument and nothing more.
    On the money!
    10-04-08 10:42 AM
    My biggest concern would be when watching video and seeing banding when the colors don't transition well in shawdows or other similar areas.
    10-04-08 10:42 AM
    but if my wallpaper has gradient colors in it and I can see the blemishes, that will be disappointing.
    Make them PNGs and you won't notice it, just like you don't on current BBs.
    10-04-08 10:44 AM
    Make them PNGs and you won't notice it, just like you don't on current BBs.
    A slight hassle that we shouldn't have to deal with though.

But hey, if using a screen with 16 bit color instead of 24 bit is going to knock off a significant amount of money, I might have to go with it because I don't think I'll be that bothered by it.
    10-04-08 10:51 AM
    People will always complain about something. No matter what. In retrospect, it's not always necessary for you and brian to keep defending the handset. People pick on it and you guys defend it. Others feel the need to tear it down, you guys feel the need to back it up. Clearly it's a pot and kettle issue here.

Bottom line is if the screen had twice the resolution of the iPhone, 4.2 billion color support, wifi, gps, unlocked 3G for all the world and EVDO Rev A for the world, came with fully customizable keyboard layouts, accelerometer gesture control, and price tag of $899... people would simply argue that it's too expensive and the iPhone does the same thing for much cheaper.
    Well, I when people knock something they've never seen much less used, and I have much time invested into the project, I feel compelled to step up and say something. Anyways,
    10-04-08 10:52 AM
    Look im an insider of the company releasing the phone. so far we have only recieved some of the specs so everyone is going to have to wait just like me .
    10-04-08 10:57 AM
    Look im an insider of the company releasing the phone. so far we have only recieved some of the specs so everyone is going to have to wait just like me .
    Not sure what company you're talking about, but eval and test units have been distributed already. Specs are known to those that need to. Also, I've been using the 9500 for a little over two weeks. I'm not confirming 65K, I'm only saying that although 65K doesn't equal what some other devices have, the Storm screen looks as good as comparable devices.
    10-04-08 11:00 AM
    What's wrong in wanting the Storm to be as good, or better, than an iPhone?
    Dude, that's the whole point, why does anyone care about the specs, if it does infact, look as good or better than the Iphone? That's the thing I don't understand. Then call me a fanboy because I make the statement, "If it looks as good or better than the Iphone, who cares?" LMAO. I understand that, according to the available specs info that we have, it would appear that the Storm's screen may possibly not be up to par with the Iphone's. But, since Crucial has said that it looks as good or better, and he's seen them in person, then I could care less what the specs are. I'm not a nerd counting numbers. I'm concerned with real world, in person examples. We all are entitled to our own opinions, most of you enjoy counting "colors", and comparing computer colors, etc. I care about how it actually looks, and from what has been said from an actual Storm user, it looks great, and better than the Iphone.
    10-04-08 11:16 AM
    What he said.....
    10-04-08 11:46 AM
    With all due respect Crucial, this is just the type of conversion that is going to go on a discussion board about an unreleased device. I am giving my opinion based on past usage of devices with 65k color support in which to me is very noticeable. Again, I believe in most programs, like email and calendar most users wont see a big difference. However, in viewing photos and videos I cant see how you can say that it wont make much difference. Again, I understand the Bold has a fantastic screen, but the DPI is a lot higher on the Bold than on the Storm.

I just want to be clear on this, are you saying the Storm has a better screen for viewing video and pictures than the iPhone? Are the colors as vibrant? While I have a hard time believing this to be completely true, if you say it does, I will take your word for it.

Lots of people here are way to quick to put down people if they post a message that might have the slightest bit of criticism.
    Last edited by Semi5; 10-04-08 at 01:14 PM.
    10-04-08 01:12 PM
    I am currently a VZW xv6800 user
    When I first say my friends VZW
    BB 8830 @ 320x240
    I was extremely impressed.
    The BB Storm res @ 480x320
    should be extremely nice.......
    Don't worry folks
    10-04-08 01:21 PM
    I am currently a VZW xv6800 user
    When I first say my friends VZW
    BB 8830 @ 320x240
    I was extremely impressed.
    The BB Storm res @ 480x320
    should be extremely nice.......
    Don't worry folks
    Sigh....people are having a really hard time here distinguishing between resolution and color support.
    10-04-08 01:24 PM
    "It's not how long it is that matters, but rather, how long you can use it."

Ya gotta love that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-04-08 01:32 PM
    I will take res over color support anyday; ok correct me if I am wrong. Doesen't resolution give you that crispness. The higher the resolution the more it has the feel like its real look..............?
    10-04-08 01:36 PM
    Exactly!! You don't likey, don't buy! Either way it goes the screen is going to look better than my 8830, so I don't really give a rats as s! Besides, this a "Crakcberry" website and not an Apple iPhone site. Most people that purchase the Storm (more than likely) will or have never owned an iPhone. From actual user info of the Storm I think current BB owners will be impressed with the upgrade and screen quality. No worries here regarding the Storm, other than when it will be released!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 01:36 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD