hey whats up fellas long time 8703 user on verizon.... been following the storm subforums alot! i kno its quad band.... here are my questions

i will most likely be traveling overseas for work in 6 months or so. in Europe, Jordan etc.

has anyone used the storm over there? how easy was it for u to make calls? what kind of rates? i dont want to have two phones...

compare the phone against the World Edition for me? what would u go for?

thanks
    01-13-09 12:57 AM
    since they are both blackberries with world capabilities, they should work the same.
    01-13-09 01:12 AM
    Get the Storm and be on of the new cool kids on the block. LOL.
    01-13-09 01:14 AM
    if you want ease of use, get the world edition

if you want something cool get the storm
    01-13-09 01:29 AM
    I spent the summer in Europe mostly Germany, France, Spain, Italy.
    I used a world Edition on verizon. I will say I had some connection problems
    in Germany(southwest) but in rest it appeared ok.. you will be switching phone
    services as you travel and may have to manually adjust your provider.
    Costs were moderate but I used it as I wanted.
    Not sure about some of the other areas you mentioned.
    Enjoy your trip
    01-13-09 05:41 AM
    I think you need to research where you are going and the type of network used in that country.

My understanding is the World Edition has fewer radios than the Storm so if you are travelling to a location that uses a network for which the World Edition does not have a radio then you are out of luck. I think the Storm has most/all the network options covered.
    01-13-09 09:19 AM
    Get the Storm and be on of the new cool kids on the block. LOL.
    Be the envy of everyone in your hotel!
    01-13-09 09:21 AM
    8830 worked well in Amsterdam, however is was really poor in Beligum. I could receive calls but they couldn't hear me talking. This was Feb 2008.
    01-13-09 09:56 AM
    Def go with the Storm. I used it recently in London and Paris and it worked like a charm. In London I could force it to pick up the GSM network and the CDMA. Costs weren't too bad, I used only about 10 minutes and it cost about $4-5. I had the globaldata package, I used google maps, youtube(moderate) and browsed the web and didn't get charged more than the 69.98 for data/email. I also used BBM a ton to keep in touch with people back in the states. Just keep in mind that (told to me by global support) on cdma, you'll pay 1.99 per minute voice, and on GSM you'll pay .99 per minute voice. You might want to double check with them. I had no issues with the storm, I would suggest stopping by a VZW store and picking up a spare vodafone SIM card incase you have issues with yours.

Good Luck!
    01-13-09 10:07 AM
    Actually both the 8830 and the Storm are global capable. But, thats besides the point, you can call global support for either, recieve an unlock code for the GSM side and put in a local sim card in each country your in for dirt cheap rates!

So dont use the provided vodafone/verizon sim card when your travelling unless the country your in has a government cell carrier and wont allow pay as you go sim cars(india, costa rica, etc.). In other places like europe you can simply call global support, unlock the phone, pop in a local vodafone number or orange number or O2 or whatever you want to use...
    01-13-09 10:26 AM
    hey whats up fellas long time 8703 user on verizon.... been following the storm subforums alot! i kno its quad band.... here are my questions

i will most likely be traveling overseas for work in 6 months or so. in Europe, Jordan etc.

has anyone used the storm over there? how easy was it for u to make calls? what kind of rates? i dont want to have two phones...

compare the phone against the World Edition for me? what would u go for?

thanks
    I see a lot of people answering this question saying that it doesn't matter, or to get the storm because it's "cooler".

Cool has nothing to do with it. The phones work differently. No they are not the same. No, they will not both work in the same areas. The storm works in many, many more areas than the world edition. I sell them, trust me. If you want the phone to work in as many areas as possible, go with the storm.

As for rates, it depends completely on the area you are in, and where you are placing the call to. One blackberry isn't more expensive to use than another, but the storm will work in more areas.
    01-13-09 10:31 AM
    I see a lot of people answering this question saying that it doesn't matter, or to get the storm because it's "cooler".

Cool has nothing to do with it. The phones work differently. No they are not the same. No, they will not both work in the same areas. The storm works in many, many more areas than the world edition. I sell them, trust me. If you want the phone to work in as many areas as possible, go with the storm.

As for rates, it depends completely on the area you are in, and where you are placing the call to. One blackberry isn't more expensive to use than another, but the storm will work in more areas.
    Where is your evidence of this? "Trust me, im an auto salesmen is pretty much what your saying by telling people to trust you because you sell the Storm". They both have global GSM capabilities...if my 8830 worked in Costa Rica, Paris, Barcelona, and Europe...what makes you think it's "inferior" to the Storms Global capabilities? Anyways, both phones will work just fine abroad and rates are irrelevant...as i said...get the gsm side of the phone unlocked by verizon global support and pop in a local sim card whereever you are for .10 cents a minutes or whatever the local rates are
    01-13-09 11:55 AM
    I owned the 8830, and now i own the storm. I would say go with the storm since they are both world editions. No competition.
    01-13-09 12:14 PM
    I've used the 8830 in Germany and Cyprus with good results. It does switch carriers unless you lock it into Vodaphone. When it switches, you can lose data coverage depending on the network it picks up.
    The 8830 works on GSM frequencies 900 and 1800. The Storm has those plus 850 and 1900, so it will work in more countries. I don't think it would matter in Europe, maybe in Jordan. The Storm also has 3G capability, which the 8830 lacks while running on GSM.
    01-13-09 12:56 PM
    Just used my VZW Storm in Holland and Bahrain. I was on a one week business trip to Bahrain, connecting through Amsterdam. Called Global Support desk and they activated VZW Global Connect Service and switched me to their Global Unlimited Data plan for the duration of my trip. When I got to Europe, all I had to do was switch the Network to GSM and it found the Vodaphone GSM 3G network right away! I even got a text message (free) telling me how to use the service in that Country. Same thing when I arrived in Bahrain.
    01-31-09 12:03 PM
    world does not have a camera. not sure if that matters to you but it would to me. Also, world has been out for awhile as the storm has not. I always like to stick with something newer.
    01-31-09 12:26 PM
    Traveled all over Europe for the holidays. Called Global Support ahead of time and th rest was absolutely seamless. I never had to change any settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 12:31 PM
    The Storm is Quad Band, the 8830 is not, so you would have more global coverage with the Storm. If you are using it in an area where they both can utilize voice and data, then I would say go with the 8830. So it would really depend on where you need the device to work to help you decide which one would fit your needs.
    01-31-09 12:44 PM
    Storm... and be envied!
    01-31-09 12:50 PM
    There is only one real important difference and thats that the Storm is HSDPA (GSM 3G) so you will have better call quality, high speed voice/data at the same time. Which the 8830 does not provide.
    And the 8830 is quite an old handset...... but if you fancy it.....
    and you say you dont want to travel with a second phone... your going to pay out of your a** in roaming if you use your verizon sim, and you wont have data if you keep switching locals sims. Carrying 2 phones is the best option by far.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 01-31-09 at 03:52 PM.
    01-31-09 03:43 PM
    I've owned both the 8830 (my first BB) and the Storm. I really liked my 8830, but it doesn't compare to the Storm at all. Something else to consider besides the radio frequencies is the capability of the Storm to function as a superior media player as well. I know when I travel overseas, I want to take as little as possible in the way of electronics. They are a pain to go through security with, etc. Not to mention, the more devices you have, the more cables, chargers, etc. you're likely to need as well. Go with the Storm if you want to cut down on that type of thing and travel lighter.

BTW, carry an extra wall charger and/or data cable when you go. They can be hard to find overseas depending on where you are or what the language barrier may be.
    01-31-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD