Hey guys,

new user to the forum. i've read a few posts on water damaged storms but none that cover the problem i'm having..

i drunkenly dropped it in the toilet. fished it out and it wouldnt work. left it over tonight. blew a hairdryer over it a bit and then left it on the radiator.

now when it turns on the screen works and the touch screen part will highlight the icons on the screen but it doesnt select them. also none of the buttons are working as of yet... is there any suggestions? or do i need to just leave it a bit longer and hope for the best?

Cheers for taking the time to read this and hopefully we can get it sorted

Lee
    03-21-10 03:38 PM
    I see you're on T-Mo, meaning you have an unlocked device and, I'm assuming, no insurance, correct? Without insurance, hard to say what other options you might have. There are several on here who've posted that they do Storm repairs, as far as I know, that's your only option, you've done everything else that might be a quick fix. Good luck (and watch the drinking)!
    03-21-10 03:41 PM
    Yeah mate, it's an unlocked device, so no insurance.. which is a bit gutting really... whats worse is i've only had it a week or so and it's the first time i took it out with me and it ended up down the bog

Any suggestions what could be causing it? its got me baffled because none of the buttons are working, but when you rub your finger across the touchscreen it all works fine and highlights things, just doesnt wanna accept the fact i'm clicking to open things.

Thanks for your input mate, just gotta hope my prayers are answered tonight and when i wake up its decided it likes me again and wants to work
    03-21-10 03:48 PM
    Get some plain rice and put it along with your BB in a jar for 2 days. Don't put the battery back in!

With any luck the rice will wick away any moisture and you'll be good to go. It worked for one of my buddies on their 8330 and the internet widely approves of the rice method
    03-21-10 04:03 PM
    rainy day... already pissed from the fact its raining on a saturday. drop my phone in the gutter... which is flowing water basically. gets away from me for about 5 feet. get my phone throw it in a bag of rice for 4 days and it worked like a charm. screens pretty scratched though....
    03-22-10 12:54 AM
    Hey guys,

bit of an update. took the storm to my mates phone repair place and he suggested shoving it in one of those ultrasonic cleaning hoojamajiggys. so we did that and we're still not much further..

it turns on like normal and boots up no problem. the touchscreen works but none of the buttons are. lol.

should i give up faith? or just leave it for longer? i just find it strange that everything works and boots up but just the buttons dont work.
    03-22-10 06:27 AM
    Do the rice idea you were given above to try to salvage what's left. You keep shorting out things every time you but the phone back on with the battery in with the moisture still trapped inside.
    03-22-10 07:42 AM
    YHey..

I've left it to dry after going in the ultrasonic cleaner and now all is well. Works a dream again. Only problem is a few watermarks on the screen... Which I'm hoping in a few days will go away. Lol.

On a side note I'm interested in using a hybrid OS. Is there some places I should take a look at to research it?

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 09:06 AM
    It's been my experience that whenever you have water damage to your phone, it's best to let it dry completely. The reasons that phones mess up in the water is due to the water's conductivity properties. Therefore, the water makes connections between the circuitry that should not be connected.

So next time, make sure that your device is completely dry before turning it on.
    03-22-10 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD