storm has much better shadow detail. but looks to be slightly overexposed..
    12-17-08 06:15 PM
    ive realized something about the storms camera after playing around with the settings forever..

sadly but surely inorder to get the best picture possible you need to change the settings each time you take a picture..

ive found that setting white balance to auto doesnt work as well as telling it what lighting your in.. as well as flash on auto doesnt seem to produce a good picture either so you need to judge if u need a flash or not..

also, as hard as this is to believe i find i get a better quality pic with image stabilization turned OFF iono why i just do.

try setting the camera settings based on what situation your in. its annoying but overall, it is worth it

so for those pics in the first post.. flash off, white balance sunny, image stablilzation (try it with it off and on) and id put the other settings to fine (opposed to super fine and normal) and put the size to medium (thats what looks good on the computer)

and dont worry about geo tagging.

o and make sure you put your finger on the camera button but dont click until the box turns green, this is auto focus.
    Last edited by stormiscoming; 12-18-08 at 06:38 PM.
    12-17-08 07:38 PM
    I Agree that the iphone is a bit over blued, but frankly this makes most pics look better and more vibrant. Im looking for a way to change my Storms settings to err on the side of more blue and less washed out and I cant seem to find a way... any of yall have luck with this? The turf in Texas Stadium looked faded and dull in my pics last week and I dont want that to happen again this Saturday night.
    12-18-08 01:04 PM
    take pics of some things that are moving
    12-18-08 01:23 PM
    I Agree that the iphone is a bit over blued, but frankly this makes most pics look better and more vibrant. Im looking for a way to change my Storms settings to err on the side of more blue and less washed out and I cant seem to find a way... any of yall have luck with this? The turf in Texas Stadium looked faded and dull in my pics last week and I dont want that to happen again this Saturday night.
    I couldn't figure it out either. But iPhone has batter color capture, Storm has overall superior capabilities in taking pictures. I say it because it has autofocus and higher megapixels. If we get technical it is a superior capable camera.
    12-18-08 04:53 PM
    Absolutely software fixable. The iPhone looks like it has more contrast. Give the Storm's a tweak and it would look as good.
    12-18-08 04:59 PM
    I personally like the quality of the Storm better.
    12-18-08 05:01 PM
    I personally like the quality of the Storm better.
    The Storm has a better quality picture with more detail. Look at the mountains in the background though. They'd look much better with some contrast increased.
    12-18-08 05:05 PM
    The color in iPhone bridge pick is too blue, and much more saturated. The Storm one is more natural, but probably under saturated. However, colors are easily tweakable. The Storm pic has more shadow detail, which may be lost on the iPhone, although you might be able to bring more detail out in one or the other.

The main difference, and something that can't really be fixed, is image detail. Look at, for example the big read building slightly left of middle. On the storm you can clearly see two distinct lines of trim between the top floor windows and the second from the top floor. The iPhone just blends together into one line. Also the dark face of this building is a good comparison of shadow detail.

Also, compare the detail in the dome on the far right. There is a lot more trim work and detail showing up in the Storm picture. The iPhone pic is sharpened more than the storm pic and the storm one would probably get even better with a little more sharpening.

The exposure is actually significantly better in the iPhone picture though. Look at the white buildings in the foreground on the Storm pic, they are blown out and completely lost detail. The Storm pic is over exposed. The iPhone preserved much more detail in the highlights. This is probably one reason the color is washed out in the Storm pic, and also why the shadow detail is so much better.
    12-18-08 05:17 PM
    I vote for the iPhone
    12-18-08 05:29 PM
    If we get technical it is a superior capable camera.
    Yeah, technically its a better camera, but I like the way iphone pics look more. lol
    12-19-08 09:57 AM
    The Storm has a better quality picture with more detail. Look at the mountains in the background though. They'd look much better with some contrast increased.
    It would be cool if they gave us control over color saturation as an Options choice. Mmmmm, that would be nice.
    12-19-08 10:00 AM
    I have to say i think the storm is more detailed but the camera is much slower than the ipods.
    12-19-08 10:08 AM
    The camera is an area that i expect / hope will improve over time. When comparing the two you can see that the iphone image is smaller at actual size because it has fewer pixels. Blow it up to the same size as the storm photo and you will lose resolution and be less crisp.... More color is not better color, and yes you can add color saturation in many applications. The Storm's camera clearly does better at focusing in close so yes that is a valid evaluation of the camera's capabilities and yes it dos have a flash. I think it has great potential, but it isnt fully there yet.
    12-19-08 10:12 AM
    The camera has already improved quite a bit in version .83. This is definitely something that will be tweaked as time allows, but you have to admit... the camera is not exactly a priority on the OS revisions at the moment.
    12-19-08 10:18 AM
    It would be cool if they gave us control over color saturation as an Options choice. Mmmmm, that would be nice.
    Yeah that would be sweet. Should be easily do-able too... 3rd party app perhaps???
    12-19-08 10:26 AM
    yeah, they have more than a few things to work out ahead of the camera.

BTW, the button on the right side of the phone has 2 thresholds, much like a real camera. Depress it a little and the camera will focus, then when you are ready to take the pic, press it in all the way. If you do it this way, the actual taking of the pic is much faster and is comparable to the iphone.
    12-19-08 10:26 AM
    The camera is an area that i expect / hope will improve over time. When comparing the two you can see that the iphone image is smaller at actual size because it has fewer pixels. Blow it up to the same size as the storm photo and you will lose resolution and be less crisp.... More color is not better color, and yes you can add color saturation in many applications. The Storm's camera clearly does better at focusing in close so yes that is a valid evaluation of the camera's capabilities and yes it dos have a flash. I think it has great potential, but it isnt fully there yet.
    I actually chopped the pixels in half in order for them to fit with Irfanview. Otherwise it would of been a much much larger pic. Right click look at the res in property it'll be 1024x768, I downsized them because at first they were huge. They're actual size is 2048x1536 I might have lost some detail by doinbg so but still looked great. Although colors saturation wont change because of that. I did notice with .83 that the camera has improved at least 75% at taking pics, I mean you don't have to sit there and wait for it to show up anymore.
    12-19-08 10:32 AM
    The camera has already improved quite a bit in version .83. This is definitely something that will be tweaked as time allows, but you have to admit... the camera is not exactly a priority on the OS revisions at the moment.
    Agreed, which is why i am not holding my breath, jumping up and down and posting about why i returned my phone. But, lets hope they do get to it!
    12-19-08 10:33 AM
    Personally I think the 2nd bridge pick with the storm is better becuase it doent have a blue tint.

The only thing that throws it off is the shutter is so slow with the storm, that it creates a little bit of "noise" if you will becuase the person taking the pic may have moved just a little while waiting for the camera to snap...

Is the bar code one really an option
    12-19-08 10:35 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD