It seems to me that the two phones (even though I've only touched one) are pretty even.

The iPhone has huge advantages in a few areas where the BlackBerry likely can't touch it:
    --The App Store...nothing BlackBerry has now is even close to competing with the App Store through iTunes
    --Wi-Fi...Verizon's 3G is much more reliable than at&t's, and much more widely available. Nevertheless, you can't underestimate Wi-Fi in this day and age, especially when "unlimited" plans are capped at 5GB of data.
    --MobileMe...yes, yes, I KNOW this has been a disaster so far, but all signs point to Apple rectifying the problem by years end.
    --The iPhone's cachet...no matter the product, it seems Apple can do no wrong. BlackBerry is certainly its closest competitor in the phone market--and is more popular, judging by the overall sales numbers--but no matter what argument you use, the average, uneducated citizen has the permanent idea that the iPhone is the best phone on the market, bar none. Even BlackBerry can't get people to stand in line for hours, even days to pick up its latest devices.

The Storm, however, seems--based on the released specs--to have a many smaller advantages over the iPhone.
    --Verizon's network...as Verizon's slogan states, a phone is only as good as the network it's on, and the network aspect can't be underestimated.
    --The Storm will have a better camera, with video capture capability
    --The Storm will have removable battery and memory capabilities, making these aspects theoretically superior to the iPhone's.
    --The Storm will have BlackBerry's push e-mail, which is assuredly superior to Apple's push attempts so far.
    --Storm will likely have a better screen for texting/e-mail, though this is highly subjective.
    --The Storm will have a slightly higher resolution.
    --The Storm will have a speaker phone.
    --The Storm will incorporate SMS Picture messaging.

The iPhone's success and admiration seems to stem from Apple's ability to make the "impossible" possible. The iPhone has taken mobile internet, media, and gaming to another level. Nevertheless, the iPhone lacks some of the most basic functionalities of other phones, like the inability to send picture messages, the lack of a speakerphone, and the lack of a video-recording capabilities. Some of the iPhone's downfalls are included on even the most outdated "dumphones."

I'm sure there are several things I've left out, but I don't know what's important to everyone else. Only time will tell how this phone truly compares to the iPhone. Thoughts on the importance of these features, or the future of the Storm, anyone?
    Last edited by jta1188; 09-25-08 at 12:38 AM.
    09-25-08 12:28 AM
    and the iphone was launched last year..

In RIM's defense, there are some aspects of this phone that are revolutionary.. well, maybe one - the button screen.

What i'm trying to say it that you might think that after all this time has past, RIM would be able to make a device that is far superior to the iphone, which is technically last year's technology.
    09-25-08 12:41 AM
    The iPhone has speakerphone...
    09-25-08 01:45 AM
    I love how cut copy and paste made it into the article posted on the front page that RIM released. Apple has been taking a beating on this for so long now. It's can't be that hard to do!
    09-25-08 08:31 AM
    The biggest feature the iPhone lacks is email/sms search. I never hear anyone talking about it, but if you've ever needed it and have an iPhone you'll feel my frustration.
    09-25-08 10:21 AM
    The biggest feature the iPhone lacks is email/sms search. I never hear anyone talking about it, but if you've ever needed it and have an iPhone you'll feel my frustration.
    I had an iphone and that WAS very frustrating! The search function on the BB has come in handy so MANY times!
    09-25-08 10:31 AM
    unless you're plain dumb you should be aware that any major company planning on releasing anything to compete with a product that is dominating the market will (if they have any sense) make it on par if not superior to it's competition.

you can cry about your wifi all you want to once you've used rev a you won't miss it. if you live in the middle of nowhere and absolutely need wifi for whatever reason, get an ipod touch and a standard phone save yourself the money on a "smartphone" cause your iphone speeds will suck there anyhow and you will simply waste money paying for a service you don't use.
    09-25-08 08:10 PM
    so i was just browsing over on the 'storm-reviews' site referenced by the screen shots and found this shot of a qwerty keyboard in portrait mode. although it looks like an iphone. i'm not sure what the deal is.

oh yeah here is the page link
    Last edited by crescent; 09-25-08 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added link
    09-25-08 08:55 PM
    That was just a mock up. I guess they were poking some fun at the iPhone. This was before the real UI pics were posted.
    09-25-08 09:04 PM
    What's sad is the iphone has been out for over a year and all the storm is doing is playing "catch up". To take away market share from the iphone they need to come up with a device that exceeds what is currently on the market.

The storm won't kill the iphone anymore than any other touchscreen phone has. Apple is just better at putting hype around their products.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 09:19 PM
    The storm won't kill the iphone anymore than any other touchscreen phone has. Apple is just better at putting hype around their products.
    Agreed

I think alot of Iphone fans forget about this very important aspect.
    Apple does have a really nice device called the iPhone but what made the iphone what it is today is how Apple is able to create "hype". You can sell crap to people if you know how to properly hype your crap. PS: Im not refering to the iphone as crap. Im just saying that "hype" can get you to sell anything to alot of people.

The vast majority of the people who bought iPhones bought them because of the hype that surrounded the device. Alot of people who bought the iphone didnt even know what the specs were or how it worked all they knew is that "everyone wanted one and therefore I should have one too"

Apple managed to create this hype because its biggest competitor is Microsoft not RIM. It was able to create the hype based on users frustration from using WindowsMobile not RIM. You hardly ever hear RIM users ditching their Curve or Bold to buy an Iphone.

Iphone users mainly consist of people who had WindowsMobile device or low end device that did not offer 3G/Wifi/Gps/Camera.

However considering that Apple had never been in the cellphone business it had no other choice but to create Hype in order to sell its phone

The iPhone is not a flawless device. it has problem like any other phones on the market now.

The iphone would not of sold as much if it didnt have a Hype to back it up!
    09-26-08 11:42 AM
    a year and all the storm is doing is playing "catch up". To take away market share from the iphone they need to come up with a device that exceeds what is currently on the market.
    I completely disagree. First off, the 95xx does NOT have to kill the Iphone. All it needs to do is take some of the market share. The 95xx does not have to exceed the capabilities of the Iphone in order to accomplish this task. The features and capabilities it possesses, accompanied with the RIM name and reputation will definitely guarantee this device a share of the market.
    09-26-08 12:20 PM
    the 95xx does NOT have to kill the Iphone.
    iPhone fans think different.

Maybe they think that the 95�� not killing the iPhone actually matters to BB fans and actually means stuff.

You can't compare Apples to Berries. These two devices are not even of the same class. iPhone is a toy. To do the job right, you don't use toys, PERIOD. The Blackberry 95�� is an elegant business machine designed to take care of business!
    09-26-08 01:00 PM
    I never said the storm needs to kill the iphone, but in order to draw the average john q. away from it, the storm can't just equal the iphone, it has to exceed it. The average person doesn't research a phone before they buy it, they just get a phone that's "cool" and the iphone is perceived as the coolest phone on the market. Unless RIM and verizon can create that kind of hype around the storm, it won't take away a major portion of the iphone users.

09-26-08 03:39 PM
    Maybe they think that the 95�� not killing the iPhone actually matters to BB fans and actually means stuff.
    Agreed on that. All iphone user ever do is come on blackberry forums (and other phone forums) to tell to the world that they are all mighty with their mighty iphone

iPhone is a toy
    This is the kind of deffinition that should be on wikipedia
    09-26-08 03:40 PM
    The average person doesn't research a phone before they buy it, they just get a phone that's "cool" and the iphone is perceived as the coolest phone on the market. Unless RIM and verizon can create that kind of hype around the storm, it won't take away a major portion of the iphone users.

That is such a true statement! I can't tell you how many people brought the iphone just because it was cool and half them didn't really even know what the phone could do.

I really think RIM and VZW should hype the Storm up as much as possible. Again, there are a LOT of BB heads, who have no idea about the Bold, let alone the Storm.

One the reasons Apple has been so successful, is because of their marketing push. When the iphone was getting ready to be released, you saw an iphone commercial every 10-15 minutes and that got people excited. Even a lot of so called hardcore blackberry fans. Now they have the iphone and hate it, but don't see anything else cooler, so they just deal with it. And that's sad because for most of them, the phone doesn't even truly meet their needs.
    09-26-08 03:48 PM
    Agreed

I think alot of Iphone fans forget about this very important aspect.
    Apple does have a really nice device called the iPhone but what made the iphone what it is today is how Apple is able to create "hype". You can sell crap to people if you know how to properly hype your crap. PS: Im not refering to the iphone as crap. Im just saying that "hype" can get you to sell anything to alot of people.

The vast majority of the people who bought iPhones bought them because of the hype that surrounded the device. Alot of people who bought the iphone didnt even know what the specs were or how it worked all they knew is that "everyone wanted one and therefore I should have one too"

Apple managed to create this hype because its biggest competitor is Microsoft not RIM. It was able to create the hype based on users frustration from using WindowsMobile not RIM. You hardly ever hear RIM users ditching their Curve or Bold to buy an Iphone.

Iphone users mainly consist of people who had WindowsMobile device or low end device that did not offer 3G/Wifi/Gps/Camera.

However considering that Apple had never been in the cellphone business it had no other choice but to create Hype in order to sell its phone

The iPhone is not a flawless device. it has problem like any other phones on the market now.

The iphone would not of sold as much if it didnt have a Hype to back it up!
    So let me get this the only the iphone sold is because it was hyped, I mean come on, what kind of excuse is that.

Tell me in which Apple hyped their products that other companies haven't. Apple products just get more media attention than other products, that's just how it is. This can because they have had successful products from ipod, itunes, mac sales are growing, their retail stores have been successful. The media praises them but they also face backlashes when they mess up as we have seen recently with the the iphone 3g issues, mobileme, rejecting apps, etc. If Apple creates hype for its products then everybody else creates hype from Sony, to Microsoft, to Nintendo, even RIM, heck I've seen a lot of commercials for the bold. Look at the recent Android launch, look how much "hype" came with that.

Sure the iphone has flaws, but so do blackberries like every other phone. Only when the iphone sells its because of hype but with blackberries there's no hype. They are flawless machines, I mean there's nobody who bought a blackberry because their buddy has one and wants to fit in but everyone who has one researched before purchasing but with iphones, everyone bought one because of hype and Apple's marketing. I mean no one else markets their products and hypes them.
    09-26-08 04:08 PM
    iPhone fans think different.

You can't compare Apples to Berries. These two devices are not even of the same class. iPhone is a toy. To do the job right, you don't use toys, PERIOD. The Blackberry 95�� is an elegant business machine designed to take care of business!
    iphone is a toy and blackberries are "elegant business machines". Right...
    09-26-08 04:10 PM
    Agreed on that. All iphone user ever do is come on blackberry forums (and other phone forums) to tell to the world that they are all mighty with their mighty iphone

This is the kind of deffinition that should be on wikipedia
    Right only iphone users go on other forums to bash other phones, I mean nobody goes on Apple forums to bash iphones. The iphone is as much a toy as a blackberry or any other phone.
    09-26-08 04:12 PM
    So let me get this the only the iphone sold is because it was hyped, I mean come on, what kind of excuse is that.

Tell me in which Apple hyped their products that other companies haven't. Apple products just get more media attention than other products, that's just how it is. This can because they have had successful products from ipod, itunes, mac sales are growing, their retail stores have been successful. The media praises them but they also face backlashes when they mess up as we have seen recently with the the iphone 3g issues, mobileme, rejecting apps, etc. If Apple creates hype for its products then everybody else creates hype from Sony, to Microsoft, to Nintendo, even RIM, heck I've seen a lot of commercials for the bold. Look at the recent Android launch, look how much "hype" came with that.

Sure the iphone has flaws, but so do blackberries like every other phone. Only when the iphone sells its because of hype but with blackberries there's no hype. They are flawless machines, I mean there's nobody who bought a blackberry because their buddy has one and wants to fit in but everyone who has one researched before purchasing but with iphones, everyone bought one because of hype and Apple's marketing. I mean no one else markets their products and hypes them.
    The big difference is that Apple has a big market that drinks the koolaid. They have a very cult-like following. I know of no other company that gets the free passes about quality control that Apple does. If you don't beleive that, take a stroll through any Apple related forum and you will see the vast majority of the people there defending everything Apple does, just as if Steve was their best friend. Recently, Macrumors had a thread about a power cord that had been recalled because it could break off in the electrical outlet. There were posters blaming the users for not being more careful! With a consumer base like that hype has far greater impact than it does with the average company or product.
    09-26-08 04:22 PM
    The big difference is that Apple has a big market that drinks the koolaid. They have a very cult-like following. I know of no other company that gets the free passes about quality control that Apple does. If you don't beleive that, take a stroll through any Apple related forum and you will see the vast majority of the people there defending everything Apple does, just as if Steve was their best friend. Recently, Macrumors had a thread about a power cord that had been recalled because it could break off in the electrical outlet. There were posters blaming the users for not being more careful! With a consumer base like that hype has far greater impact than it does with the average company or product.
    Right and only Apple have people who drink this so called "koolaid" or have a cult following, what about people who swear by their blackberries, windows mobile phones, nokia, htc, etc, ninento, playstation. Every company has loyal fans but it's only Apple that gets picked on for their loyal fans. Free passes about quality control, have you checked the media backlash after the 3g iphone problems, mobile me, rejecting applications. Have you read some of the forums on the Apple site, some of the rumors forums, there are people fuming mad, what free pass are you talking about. Some people defend Apple just like people here defend blackberry, people defend Microsoft, people defend Nokia, Sony. Hype and marketing can only get you so far, you also have to deliver quality products, if the Apple products were absolute crap, they wouldn't be selling as many products as they do or constantly leading in consumer satisfaction ratings.
    09-26-08 04:41 PM
    This thread is hilarious. I mean come on, so much hate over a phone, actually I guess I should call it a "toy". You people should be happy Apple created the iPhone, or your Storm and half the other iClones would never exist.

People say the iPhone is a toy, well I guess it's a revolutionary toy that seems to have every major phone manufacturer working their asses off trying to make something better. Be happy the iPhone is out, competition is great for the customer, but I guess some of you are so in love with your blackberries (btw it's a damn PHONE) that you refuse to believe something else can be good too. Yes RIM makes great products, yes RIM has the best email service right NOW, but guess what, their phones are NOT the best, they are AMONG the best.

Yea iPhone users go into other phone forums to bash other phones, but no one else does that right? Give me a break. This happens with every product, xbox user bash ps3 users in their forums and vice versa. There will ALWAYS be the ones who do this, and unfortunately they are the ones you notice the most, and people base their opinions off that.

All this hate is hysterical, I can't tell if this is jealousy, or people just have nothing better to talk about.

I will enjoy my iPhone and Curve while you all wait for the Storm. Hopefully you all enjoy it just as much as your previous berries. This hate/bashing is not needed.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-26-08 at 04:57 PM.
    09-26-08 04:55 PM
    Right and only Apple have people who drink this so called "koolaid" or have a cult following, what about people who swear by their blackberries, windows mobile phones, nokia, htc, etc, ninento, playstation. Every company has loyal fans but it's only Apple that gets picked on for their loyal fans. Free passes about quality control, have you checked the media backlash after the 3g iphone problems, mobile me, rejecting applications. Have you read some of the forums on the Apple site, some of the rumors forums, there are people fuming mad, what free pass are you talking about. Some people defend Apple just like people here defend blackberry, people defend Microsoft, people defend Nokia, Sony. Hype and marketing can only get you so far, you also have to deliver quality products, if the Apple products were absolute crap, they wouldn't be selling as many products as they do or constantly leading in consumer satisfaction ratings.
    Media backlash isn't the same as consumer backlash. Sure, there are a few discontented people on those forums, but very few. And the majority of those are recent Apple consumers, not the apple zealots. And, no, there is no company that has a following like
    Apple. Where else are there fan sites that talk about the CEO as if he were both God and their best friend? There aren't any others. That's one of the reasons apple ranks highly in consumer satisfaction because no matter how many problems they have with their apple products they, won't admit it. You're a good example of this rabid loyalty. You have four posts on this forum and they're all in defense of poor Apple.

Look, I own Apple products, but I don't worship at the feet of Steve Jobs. My apple computer has had just as many freezes as my PC. They piece their products together with off the shelf parts like every other manufacturer.

As an informed consumer, I'm not loyal to any company. I'm loyal to myself.
    09-26-08 05:03 PM
    This thread is hilarious. I mean come on, so much hate over a phone, actually I guess I should call it a "toy". You people should be happy Apple created the iPhone, or your Storm and half the other iClones would never exist.

People say the iPhone is a toy, well I guess it's a revolutionary toy that seems to have every major phone manufacturer working their asses off trying to make something better. Be happy the iPhone is out, competition is great for the customer, but I guess some of you are so in love with your blackberries (btw it's a damn PHONE) that you refuse to believe something else can be good too. Yes RIM makes great products, yes RIM has the best email service right NOW, but guess what, their phones are NOT the best, they are AMONG the best.

Yea iPhone users go into other phone forums to bash other phones, but no one else does that right? Give me a break. This happens with every product, xbox user bash ps3 users in their forums and vice versa. There will ALWAYS be the ones who do this, and unfortunately they are the ones you notice the most, and people base their opinions off that.

All this hate is hysterical, I can't tell if this is jealousy, or people just have nothing better to talk about.

I will enjoy my iPhone and Curve while you all wait for the Storm. Hopefully you all enjoy it just as much as your previous berries. This hate/bashing is not needed.
    Well put, Apple gave the other phone manufacturers something to think about, I mean look at Google with the Marketplace, Microsoft with their new store on their phones coming out, and also now we see more focus being put on smartphones than before which is good for everybody who enjoys phones.
    09-26-08 05:06 PM

First off I don't bash the Iphone. Two, I agree with most of your post. But do NOT sit here and tell me the Iphone is the reason behind the Storm. As much as I hate to say, the 95xx has been in development since the same time as the 1st Gen Iphone. Nor is it a clone. Other than that, you got it right.
    09-26-08 05:09 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD