Long time BB user, first post on site. Thank you in advance for help. Have been using the WE for 1 1/2 years now. Have been contemplating on getting Storm and wanted to see how people liked or disliked the switch between the two phones?

Also, the sales person at the store said that there is no way to get my current emails off the 8830 to the Storm. Her suggestion was to keep the 8830 for the old emails, doesn�t seem efficient. Does anyone know if it is possible to get my old emails onto the new phone? Thanks.
    03-01-09 07:14 AM
    I went from an WE to the storm some times miss my WE but being able to get mms and I love browsing the internet on the storm. Typing is so so. As for transferring the email if you are a BIS client just backup your 8830 then you can transfer it to your storm once you get it. Very simple when I bought the storm they went to transfer my contacts and all that I was like don't waste you time because all they transfer is name and number. Just do it yourself on the DM. Plug in both blackberry and transfer everything you want to keep with the DM.

Oh yeah I like the storm worth the upgrade but kinda wish I waited on the Niagara or 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lostmarine; 03-01-09 at 07:34 AM.
    03-01-09 07:30 AM
    yeah use the Switch Device Wizard on the desktop manager. it will move settings, emails, call logs...the whole nine yards
    03-01-09 09:04 AM
    even if you cant put the odl saved emails on your new phone you can at least back them up to the pc and save them there. just as good imo. then from there you could forward them to the storm email.
    03-01-09 09:07 AM
    Just being able to get mms is awesome and having a camera. The typing takes awhile to get used to so you will be a little slower out of the box. But after a couple of weeks and setting adjustments I am back up to typing speed. I personally love it way more than my 8830, od course I am a big mms fan. Good luck with your decision.
    03-01-09 09:36 AM
    It was definitely hard to leave the 8830 for the Storm. IMO, the only thing wrong with the 8830 is that it doesn't have a camera.

The salesperson was incorrect about not being able to backup your old email and transfer them to the phone. When you complete your sync settings you have the ability to backup your messages. Once you have them in your backup file via the DM, do a restore and you get all of your text messages, emails, call logs, etc. The only thing I haven't been able to get to transfer are messages sent/received in BB Messenger.

P.S. I was able to get my 8830 back from my girlfriend without prying it from her dying cold hands. She went to a Curve and loves it.
    03-01-09 09:44 AM
    Welcome to the Crackberry Nation! Lurk around and enjoy your storm. You can learn a lot from this website.
    03-01-09 10:20 AM
    If you can, wait for the Niagara and then see which you like more. But if you cannot wait, then I think you'll like the Storm. Apparently it is going to be an amazing device soon because the Gold Code software is around the corner. Also, the app store is due out this month. Should be good

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 10:27 AM
    I recently switched from a WE to the Storm and like lost marine sometimes I miss my WE. The only thing that was missing form the WE was the camera, other than that my WE was built rock solid and was EXTREMELY reliable, never had a single issue with the phone and dropped it several hundred times with cases and without. The Storm I baby it, I recently purchased an OTTER BOX case to protect it.

As the others suggested on this thread you can easily transfer data/emails to your storm just follow the advice on this thread utilizing DM. I myself wish I could have had the patience to wait for the Verizon's version of the 8900 Curve/Niagara model I guess their calling it but I simply lack patience when it comes to new BLACKBERRIES hitting the streets..LOL, knowing myself I'll Pick up the Niagara once it hits Verizon and trade in one of my family plans phone that�s not a Blackberry...

But to finally answer your question, for me it was worth the switch because Im a gadgets fanatic and I love playing around with new technology, It's a fin experience for me. Texting!! Is extremely tiresome on the STORM especially when used with the OTTERBOX because of the design of the case...So if you get a storm I suggest a INDIO case or the Silicone because you will become extremely frustrated when trying to type on the Storm it takes time getting use to and its not as efficient as using the WE.

Hope this helps in your decision process.

NAVY CHIEF!
    03-01-09 10:44 AM
    Welcome to the Crackberry Nation! Lurk around and enjoy your storm. You can learn a lot from this website.

totally. i switched from a dare to the storm and everything i've needed to know i have found on this site... you should totally switch to a storm. amazing device. it has its quirks but all things do... but at least you know that if something goes crazy you can jump on here and get a quick answer.
    03-01-09 11:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD