So my wife and I are both getting smart phones this Friday (or Sat). She needs a blackberry for work and it doesn't matter which one. She kind of likes the pearl and it will be used for email and voice mainly.

However, I sit on a train 3-4 days a week for 1+ hour each way. So I want to get either an Iphone or Storm. Most of our family is on Verizon and she gets a 22% discount on the plans for Verizon. However, since I'm not a smart phone person I have a couple of Q's

1) Will I need to pay extra for GPS with the Storm? It appear there is something called VZ Nav. Is this extra per month? I think the Iphone has free GPS and directions?! (is this no true for Verizon)?

2) Can you stream radio stations off the phone? I like listening to some radio stations in the area but I don't get good reception on the train.

3) Is the web browser comparable to the Iphone? I have used the Iphone in stores and am very happy with there browser.

4) I saw there is a program I can buy for ~$30 that will rip your itunes (the songs I buy) so you can listen to them on my storm is that correct?

I want to talk myself into Verizon and the storm but I need to know some of these answers first. I can wait till this weekend to ask my local store but I'm sure you guys have these answers all ready!

Thanks in advance...chris
    11-18-08 01:48 PM
    The VZ Nav is 9.99 monthly but its a great service to have.

Second I do believe you can listen to the radio on this handsett through a certain application.

The Web Browser is the same as the I phone except the zooming in part but its just about Identical and runs on Rev A Which is definitly better servive wise than the I phone.

So I am switching over to the storm I have had the I phone. and I thnk it was a good phone but the storm has my vote hands down.
    11-18-08 01:55 PM
    is the application for listening to the radio a free application? Is this something you can download off their website?

Will the GPS not work unless you buy VZ? $9.99 seems like a lot for one feature since they are already charging for the phone and service
    11-18-08 02:00 PM
    Will the GPS not work unless you buy VZ? $9.99 seems like a lot for one feature since they are already charging for the phone and service
    The GPS service is 9.99 because it is not strictly a BB thing. A lot of the phones on Verizon can get it. And also I'm not sure if you are aware, but a lot of the apps for the Blackberry you have to pay for as well.
    11-18-08 02:06 PM
    You can use the GPS with Google Maps or other third party software. If you want VZ Nav and its' features then you pay the $10/month. You certainly don't have to though.
    11-18-08 02:09 PM
    THanks for the response. So are google maps app free? or is it a one-time fee? Does that app have turn by turn directions?

Also, what type of apps for blackberry do you have to pay for? (Just some examples?) Also, is there a website to see what type of apps they offer?

Thanks!
    11-18-08 02:13 PM
    Google maps is a free application but it doesn't have turn by turn. You have to pay for the VZ Nav for turn by turn. The official Blackberry App Store is no up, but you can search this website for apps.

As far as the web browser goes, I don't think its the same as the iPhone. The iPhone uses webkit and no blackberry does. It terms of usability I think it might be a step down from the iPhone but it should still be very usable.
    11-18-08 02:23 PM
    Google maps is a free application but it doesn't have turn by turn. You have to pay for the VZ Nav for turn by turn. The official Blackberry App Store is no up, but you can search this website for apps.

As far as the web browser goes, I don't think its the same as the iPhone. The iPhone uses webkit and no blackberry does. It terms of usability I think it might be a step down from the iPhone but it should still be very usable.
    Nope, the new Storm browser IS webkit based.
    11-18-08 02:28 PM
    wow....a LOT of misinformation in here it seems.

1. GPS - The Storm GPS is unlocked which means you can use the GPS with any program that uses GPS. Google Maps is great and has a turn by turn, but it is not read out loud and only appears in little bubbles just as online. There are other programs though, Garmin has a program with a one time fee, TeleNav has a program as well, with options for monthly based subscriptions or a one time fee. There are other options too, just search around a bit.

2. You can stream music from the net for free yes, as far as your favorite radio stations, it depends on if they output in using a certain protocol (RTSP)

3. Web browser is built on the same platform as the iPhone. Some of the gestures are different obviously but all in all, the two are very close in a lot of respects with the browser

4. There are many different options that allow you to convert files (if needed) to a format the Storm will play and transfer them to the phone. Some of these are free, some of these are not.
    11-18-08 02:40 PM
    The storm is exclusive to Verizon.
    The iPhone is exclusive to ATT&T.
    I would go with the storm just to get free minutes to the rest of your family.
    If you go with ATT&T then you be out of the family.
    11-18-08 02:51 PM
    Thanks BoneHead! Those are exactly the answers to the question I was wondering. I don't mind paying a flat free for a program like Garmin (if Google maps isn't for me) then paying $10 a month to verizon.

Also, I will post on here once I get my Storm (if that is what I end up with) about transferring Itunes songs (the ones which are protected) to my device.

Thanks again!

Chris
    11-18-08 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD