My storms been great to me and I've praised it daily to friends and family enough that one of my partners at work just bought one. But today it some how got stuck in this headset mode. I can't hear anything and people can't hear me unless I plug a headphone jack. I know the simple answer, make a call and select handset, but that's not working. I've looked into master setting but can't find it in there either. I have not been a good blackberry user and my last backup was months ago so a rollback isn't practical either. I'm using OS 103 and have been living it since it came out up until this ast week. Help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 03:40 PM
    plug in your headset and unplug again
    03-24-09 03:47 PM
    I just tried that, and its still a no go. I also noticed when I'm on a call where it shows the volume on the right, there are four or five little connected balls or stars over the bars.

03-24-09 07:12 PM
    Battery pull should fix.
    03-24-09 07:14 PM
    Battery Pull AND plug in and unplug your headset. Serious.
    03-24-09 07:23 PM
    Same thing happens to me every now and then after using my headset with Slacker Radio.

Like the others said, plug in and unplug your headset quickly.

03-24-09 07:49 PM
    Sometimes simply unplugging/plugging won't do the trick. And this also has NOTHING to do with a bat pull. I've had this happen to me, I even went as far as wiping the phone and reloading an OS cause somebody on here recommended that. Make a call to you vmail or maybe somebody on verizon so it's free, now wiggle/play around with the plug going in and out. When you get it right you'll see the symbol change.

Moral of the story, all about the motion in the ocean.
    03-24-09 07:54 PM
    I had the same problem, i was using .113 official version. tried battery pull, pluging and unpluging headset. finally went back to .78 official vodafone version, problem solved. tried to upgrade again to .113, same problem. went back to .78 and have stayed with it for while. there isnt too much difference between all these versions out there. there is a landscape QWERTY keyboard in .113 which i dont use anyways. my storm is smooth now. Iphone users, is your phone so customizable ? if something like this happens to an iphone, it goes back to apple. that concept is ancient. LOL
    03-24-09 07:59 PM
    I did a batt pull, then plugged it into the charger.

It worked after that.
    03-24-09 08:31 PM
    i learned a trick from my phone doing this when i was on .90. what i did and it worked everytime. when it does that and if your at home take a Qtip and pull the cotten off the end and call your voicemall and barely ease the Qtip into the 3.5 mm headphone jack until the headphone icon dissapears. i littery kept the Qtip in my pocket for the short while i was using .90 on my storm.
    03-24-09 08:52 PM
    Ran into the same problem and instead of a Q-Tip, i used a ball point pen and it worked. Very frustrating but now I think twice before plugging in headset.
    03-29-09 04:11 PM
    My storms got stuck in the headset mode after I upgrade to .132. The battery pull method didn't fix it. I solved it using the "wiggle/play" method.
    04-27-09 06:49 AM
    *228 option 1.
    04-27-09 09:33 AM
    I had my storm for months before this happened to me.

As others said I don't believe this is a softwre issue but a mechinical one. I think Pocket lint or soemthing else is "getting in there" and causing it to stick in the headset mode.
    04-27-09 09:54 AM
    Happened to me too. After 3 months of (sometimes frustrating) use, I woke up yesterday to realize that nobody could hear me when I made calls. Since it was stuck in headset mode, it was trying to pick up input from a microphone.

I tried as recommended on Crackberry, and using a tiny screwdriver I could get it to switch back out of microphone mode, but never stay out of it. This morning I called Verizon tech support, who is now sending me a replacement.

Very frustrating error. I did note while searching online, though, that this happens to iPhones, too, which made me feel a little better ;-)
    04-27-09 11:13 AM
    I wiggled pulled plugged poked and everything else for 4 hours and it still wouldn't work. Downgraded from .141 to .132 and it still didn't work. Downgraded from .132 to .113 and it still didn't work. Downgraded from .113 to .75 and now its fine. Now if they could come out with another update without the headset jack problem...
    05-17-09 09:08 PM
    I just picked up my Storm on Wednesday and tried out my headphones two days later and now I cant use my phone without the headset! This is so frustrating and I can't seem to fix it. Have tried battery pull, plugging and unplugging the earphones, searched the entire phone to see about changing it back!
    05-19-09 11:01 AM
    I have had the same problem recently, I just blow and suck air down the socket and eventually it works.
    05-20-09 08:15 AM
    Insert your headset (normal wired one that comes with device or any other headphones) into the jack and place a call. You will hear sound in the headset. Now pull the headset while the call is going on. It may not work at the first try but do it a few times. For me this worked and the phone finally returned to handset mode.
    06-24-09 11:57 AM
    I have been to just about EVERY thread on both this forum and others (Blackberry Support for instance). I have also spoken directly with my provider (Verizon Wireless) and with RIM Tech Support (more on that later). Almost all posts I have seen can be narrowed down to the following two theories:

1. The Hardware Problem Theory

In this scenario, something inside of the headset jack is triggered (a switch of some kind) when headphones are inserted. As a result of some defect or other, the switch is not being deactivated when the headphones are removed. Thus, the device still believes that the headset is connected and will default to "Headset Mode" for all calls, music playback, etc.

Every proposed solution has been to insert something (Qtip, headset plug, compressed air, etc.) into the headset jack in an attempt to either dislodge or inactivate the switch that is making device think that a headset is still plugged in. Others have said to do a combination of wiggling the headset insert in and out/back and forth while on a call or pressing some button.

As of today, ALL of the above methods are inconsistent and unreliable. Unless it truly is a spec of dust or something STUCK inside the headset jack, wiggling it around will NOT fix the issue! I was able to temporarily fix my issue doing this, but it just came back when I tried to use the headphones again. How dare I use something that I'm SUPPOSED to be able to use

The ultimate test of this was to take the phone back into a store and get it swapped out (warranty replacement). After speaking with both my provider (Verizon Wireless) and then RIM tech support, I did this recently. Unbelievably, as soon as I restored my backed up settings via desktop and updated the software, the headset issue was also "restored" to its annoying and frustrating recurrance.

After calling RIM support again, they concluded, as I already had, that THIS ISSUE IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

2. The Software Problem Theory

In this scenario, either a recent update to the OS or some other unknown software issue (3rd party software or beta releases) is causing the malfunction.

Proposed solutions have ranged from various sequences of settings changes to actual wiping and reinstalling software. Neither of the above have worked consistently either.

I have heard from some people that downgrading software (to .75) has resolved the issue. However, this of course will return BB Storm users back to the stone age and all the original bugs and annoyances that the update was supposed to fix! So I am going to try this (the lesser of two evils I suppose). I will update this post after I see what happens.

FYI: The official word from RIM Tech Support is that the issue is undergoing research and is a known problem that is unresolved. Hopefully a fix will be released in the near future (crosses fingers).

UPDATE: 07/02/09

So I went ahead and tried downgrading my OS to .75 to see if that would fix the problem. Obviously, downgrading is not fun, but thanks to BB Desktop and ability to back up settings, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

WELL I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT IT WORKED! If you are unable to resolve this problem via the "wiggle method" then DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME GETTING THE PHONE REPLACED. I repeat: Warranty replacement will not resolve this issue. Simply downgrade to OS 4.7.0.75 and you will no longer have this issue. RIM will release a fix in next upgrade or a hot fix if they are able to resolve this issue before then.
    Last edited by Bellefleurian; 07-02-09 at 12:00 PM. Reason: UPDATED WITH SOLUTION!
    06-29-09 10:08 AM
    Dont pull the battery unless you want to waste 5 minutes. Blow into the headphone jack and it will eventually fix it, or just get a can of compressed air and do it quickly. Dust gets in there and clogs it up, same thing happens on the Iphone.
    06-30-09 12:17 PM
    When that happened to me all I did was a battery pull and fixed the problem.

06-30-09 01:26 PM
    I had the same problem last night. Tried battery pull several times and did not work. I connected it via bluetooth with my Jawbone (used it earlier in the day) and then unconnected it. That fixed the problem.
    07-01-09 01:47 PM
    I have been having this problem....I can fix it but it is a MASSIVE PIMA. (Pain in my A55)

With this and the MP3 muting issue, and the occasional press of the screen getting stuck....I think it's about time to get an exchange and have my 3rd Storm.....
    07-01-09 02:04 PM
    Sometimes simply unplugging/plugging won't do the trick. And this also has NOTHING to do with a bat pull. I've had this happen to me, I even went as far as wiping the phone and reloading an OS cause somebody on here recommended that. Make a call to you vmail or maybe somebody on verizon so it's free, now wiggle/play around with the plug going in and out. When you get it right you'll see the symbol change.

Moral of the story, all about the motion in the ocean.
    Niiiiiice

But seriously, I had the same problem. I too went through wiping the phone, loading different OS and everything. Then I did this. Took a pair of headphones, plugged them in and out a few times (as many times as needed) and it fixed it.
    07-01-09 02:52 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD