Since I can go back and forth between Verizon and AT&T I noticed that when composing an SMS, on Verizon it limits to 160 characters but on AT&T it allows 160 characters x 6. Same device only difference is network.

Screen shots from my device:
    11-26-08 04:27 PM
    Interesting find...Hopefully eventually a better SMS text program will come out with threading...
    11-26-08 04:31 PM
    If your sending txt to another VZW person you have unlimited characters...
    11-26-08 08:54 PM
    that sucks..
    11-26-08 08:56 PM
    False.

Just tried it, but it didnt do more than 160.
    11-26-08 08:57 PM
    yeah...only 160 characters on vzw, no matter who it's to.

I think that after 160 characters it becomes an email, and after 2000 characters it becomes an essay...I would do a book, but can't add that high...words per page x # of pages x ....aw screw it! LOL

Jay
    11-26-08 09:15 PM
    You'll have to send it as an MMS if you want more characters- unless the reciever is an iPhone :P
    11-26-08 09:19 PM
    yeah...only 160 characters on vzw, no matter who it's to.

I think that after 160 characters it becomes an email, and after 2000 characters it becomes an essay...I would do a book, but can't add that high...words per page x # of pages x ....aw screw it! LOL

Jay
    A friend of mine asked me if the Storm could do over 160 characters. I replied "anything more than 160 and you have an email!"
    11-26-08 09:38 PM
    Yeah this is kind of a let down since I like to send some texts that are a bit over 160 characters. I definitely think we should be able to enter more characters even if the recipient will get two or more messages. My friend sends texts using his Bold and when it is too long I get two or more messages. Its a pain to have to send two separate text messages in order to send my whole message. Hopefully in the future or in a near OS update we will have threaded SMS. I know some people find no need for it but it helps keep your messages organized so you will have all your messages from one contact in a conversation, instead of so 15 different texts from the same person.
    02-04-09 04:30 PM
    Just like Linc and other numerous threads/posts have said, you have to do an MMS in order to have more than 160 letters/symbols/etc. For some reason on Verizon, the storm locks itself to SMS only (Which can ONLY be 160 characters), where as my old Chocolate was able to become to MMS automatically after passing 160 characters. It doesn't mean that your not able to text more than 160 characters, it just means that it doesn't convert to MMS automatically like other phones.
    02-04-09 05:16 PM
    I have mentioned this before I think but I actually prefer that it stops you at 160. When it automatically makes a second message I don't usually notice that I'm on the second message and sometimes accidentally send multiples to someone who doesn't have unlimited texting and feel bad. lol
    02-04-09 05:34 PM
    No you don't. This post is incorrect.
    02-04-09 05:57 PM
    You can send a mms and use more the 160 characters. Or like someone else said, just send a e-mail.
    02-04-09 06:00 PM
    You'll have to send it as an MMS if you want more characters- unless the reciever is an iPhone :P
    I lol'd
    02-04-09 07:52 PM
    My son has a Envy 2 and it will do up to 7 pages. "shrug"
    02-04-09 08:04 PM
    Yeah this is kind of a let down since I like to send some texts that are a bit over 160 characters. I definitely think we should be able to enter more characters even if the recipient will get two or more messages. My friend sends texts using his Bold and when it is too long I get two or more messages. Its a pain to have to send two separate text messages in order to send my whole message. Hopefully in the future or in a near OS update we will have threaded SMS. I know some people find no need for it but it helps keep your messages organized so you will have all your messages from one contact in a conversation, instead of so 15 different texts from the same person.
    I see no point in having more than 160. That's why you got MMS and emails for. It not hard to do come on guys. You guys got to stop finding things to cry about.
    02-04-09 08:07 PM
    yeah mms will let you do more than 160
    02-04-09 08:11 PM
    SMS is limited to 160 characters, no matter the carrier. ATT is allowing for multiple pages(messages) each containing 160 characters. SMS is a technology that is not driven by individual entities. Carriers are just figuring out how to create multiple messages that are linked to make it seem like one big one.
    02-04-09 08:48 PM
    Wtf. My pos voyager would send SMS messages with more than one page. Why can't my smart phone do that? I don't want to send mms messages because I'm pretty sure they cost money. Hopefully its an os thing and not just Verizon screwing us one again. For SMS and wifi. But I can deal with out the wifi SMS is a big thing
    Is because I send a lot of texts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 09:26 PM
    i have a verizon and i just thought they were trying to get me to go over my allowed amount and then charge me for it.
    no one is crying about anything thats unimportant. it doesnt make any sense to come out with a limit for a sms.
    and such a small limit. 160 is like typing to pick up milk and eggs and...
    yea field FULL! it is a pain because they get your text and its the second one you just sent on top. they have to always skip the first message and go to the next if they come in back to back.
    thats really going to confuse alot of info- "oh i didnt see the first part of the message" ive heard that a few times already.
    i dont mind sending a mms but if i have to reply to a sms its going to be a sms and theres the problem.
    id like an app to automatically convert the sms over 160 into a mms on the fly.
    02-04-09 09:47 PM
    The comments about "if the message is more than 160 characters just send a MMS or an e-mail" are a little frustrating.

Raise your hand if you write out every message long-hand and count the number of characters before inputting this into the Storm.

Anyone?

Didn't think so. The frustration comes when you realize, AFTER you've typed in 150 of the characters, that you're going to go over the limit...and your message ends with "...whatever you do, don't touch the" and you can't finish your thought.

If you're like me, you go back and start shortening words, removing spaces or apostrophes. But, this is annoying and time-consuming...but less time-consuming than dumping the message and starting over using the MMS or e-mail composer.
    02-05-09 07:33 AM
    yeah, my girlfriend has vzw and I can only do 160 and then it won't let me type any more. I switched from a motorola q that used the same evdo network, and it let me type messages that were as long as "The Grapes of Wrath"...
    02-05-09 07:36 AM
    Sms is limited to 160 yes. But why can't the phone send 2 msgs with 160 at the same time? That's what I want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 08:33 AM
    if your text messages are more than 160 charectars constantly then just call the person. unless your a 13 year old girl
    02-05-09 08:37 AM
    One more thing, I'm with Verizon.

SMS is limited to 160 and I see that I can type as much as i want with MMS ***BUT*** what's the use in doing this if the person is also on Verizon.....

Isn't it true they will only be able to recieve 160 characters, say if they have the Verizon Dare?????
    02-05-09 08:59 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD