My Storm shut itself off twice yesterday and once already today, anyone know what's going on. I leave it locked when in the holster.

Tim
    02-25-09 11:33 AM
    Are you still running the .75 OS? It's probably a manufacture malfunction... i would take the phone back to exchange it if I were you..
    02-25-09 11:35 AM
    My Storm shut itself off twice yesterday and once already today, anyone know what's going on. I leave it locked when in the holster.

Tim
    Do a search for my posts about what i call "phantom resets". Im updating from .99 to .109 on my FOURTH PHONE. number 5 is sitting right beside me (this replacement was due to defective hardware-SurePress screen/button not functioning correctly) and assuming that 109 fires up and works ok, ill load that on to phone #5, if it fails, ill revert back to .99 which i just installed on monday.

From 11/21 to monday am, i had never run an unofficial OS, since i was returning phone 4 for another reason, i said what the ****, ill try a Beta OS

Liked it.
    02-25-09 12:02 PM
    Mine only does this when I'm using BB Messenger... if I get going too quickly and one message is coming in while I'm sending another, it seems to crash every time.
    02-25-09 12:31 PM
    Since updating to .103 then the .109 hybrid I have not had any resets that I'm aware of.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 09:24 PM
    Mine turns off, but it's a quick press of the end button to turn it back on. Now memory leakage... That's another story. :]
    02-25-09 11:09 PM
    Same here mine only crashes when im on bb messanger and im sending and recieving to quickly
    02-26-09 12:10 AM
    Its likely because you have .75, that used to happen to mine all the time, it drove me NUTS. I would recommend updating to a beta OS if you're somewhat BB and PC savvy. Write back if you need help, I wrote up a Word doc with instructions for a not computer savvy friend and she did just fine. Once I updated my OS that shutting down issue disappeared.

Make sure when you open any program (including your sms, cal, whatever) when you're done do the BB button and close. This keeps all those programs from running in the background which makes the device much faster and MAYBE less likely to erratically shut down.

One other thing to try, set a password on your device. Options > password > Enable right at the top. The only problem is it has to be over 4 digits/letters. I found that in my purse or cases it was too easy to touch the unlock button on the top, but if a password is set it won't be able to unlock. I got used to putting in the password after a day or so, it is annoying at first.

It doesn't seem like that is your problem, but it did help my BB when I was still running .75

Best of luck!
    02-26-09 12:18 AM
    It's not hardware. Been through this a hundred times. There are plenty of posts on it. Usually a software bug in an app or lost signal. Lost signal is the most common. Also, a few, including me, had defective batteries. I have 2 batteries and I noticed that i would get reboots with one battery but never the second. I exchanged the bad battery and the problem was solved. Now I only get the reboot after losing signal for a time. (such as in a basement with no reception)
    02-26-09 06:57 AM
    My storm sometimes just goes to a white screen randomly and has a loading icon in the middle randomly.

wierd.
    02-26-09 07:47 AM
    Its likely because you have .75, that used to happen to mine all the time, it drove me NUTS. I would recommend updating to a beta OS if you're somewhat BB and PC savvy. Write back if you need help, I wrote up a Word doc with instructions for a not computer savvy friend and she did just fine. Once I updated my OS that shutting down issue disappeared.

Make sure when you open any program (including your sms, cal, whatever) when you're done do the BB button and close. This keeps all those programs from running in the background which makes the device much faster and MAYBE less likely to erratically shut down.

One other thing to try, set a password on your device. Options > password > Enable right at the top. The only problem is it has to be over 4 digits/letters. I found that in my purse or cases it was too easy to touch the unlock button on the top, but if a password is set it won't be able to unlock. I got used to putting in the password after a day or so, it is annoying at first.

It doesn't seem like that is your problem, but it did help my BB when I was still running .75

Best of luck!
    Hey...would you mind sending me this information? I keep having this problem too and I need a resolution for it. If you say this works, please tell me how to do it. I really appreciate it.
    03-17-09 03:27 PM
    Hey...would you mind sending me this information? I keep having this problem too and I need a resolution for it. If you say this works, please tell me how to do it. I really appreciate it.
    I tried installing the hybrid on saturday, but kept losing edge, so I wiped my phone and went back to .75. Haven't had a random reboot yet, and my memory used to sit at 41, after the reinstall it started at 53. BTW, I used to get a random shut down daily.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens again, I really hope the official OS will solve this.
    03-17-09 04:08 PM
    when i had Vlingo on mine, sometimes the screen on mine would start to light up when i got a call but hang for a sec and shut itself off, un installed vlingo... no more problems
    03-17-09 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD