I've been using a screen protector (IS) since I've had my Storm but it recently developed some bubbles so I ripped it off. I just wanted to get some feedback on the durability of the unprotected screen.

I've seen the "tests" with the knife scratching and the nail box shaking, but I just wanted to know how it will hold up day to day?
    01-14-09 02:33 PM
    I've taken my stock screen protector off on the very first day of each of my storms. Screen holds up very well.
    01-14-09 02:34 PM
    Look on youtube i saw a dude try to scratch one with a jack knife and couldnt.
    01-14-09 02:51 PM
    Look on youtube i saw a dude try to scratch one with a jack knife and couldnt.
    Yeah, I saw that. I'm just looking for day to day (in the pocket with keys) results.
    01-14-09 02:56 PM
    I'd like to hear the same. Those video's were impressive, but has anyone gotten a scratch?
    01-14-09 03:00 PM
    Ummm..I think a knife is sharper than keys (not too sure)...
    01-14-09 03:01 PM
    Heyy yah i saw that video, which gave me hope that i could use it without a screen protector. And sure enough, i dropped my phone on gravel, and ther was a pretty decent scratch on the top half of the screen (dont worry i got a replacement and dont have that phone anymore). So i ordered one and i would suggest you do the same. I was wondering if anyone notices and performance problems with a screen cover on. sometimes my phone wouldnt register light touches, but it could be that im running .86 and it might just be a bug. Anybody notice anything?

Moral is = Yes it can scratch, it happend to me!
    01-14-09 03:09 PM
    Ummm..I think a knife is sharper than keys (not too sure)...
    Sharper yes, but keys might have a more jagged edge due to how crudely they're made on a grinder.
    01-14-09 03:10 PM
    Sharper yes, but keys might have a more jagged edge due to how crudely they're made on a grinder.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about
    01-14-09 03:14 PM
    Its glass. Will it scratch? yes, but its not easy to do. Dropping it in gravel as mentioned above will do it (there may be minerals in the rocks that are harder than glass) but as far as jiggling around in your pocket with keys or change won't. I put mine in my pocket (when i don't have my holster) and haven't noticed any yet.

Edit: anyone remember hardness tests in Jr high/middle school?
    Edit #2 the only time I've scratched any glass was when I was in my car and tried to throw a beer bottle out the window and the window wasn't down far enough (I know, drinkin and driving is bad, but I was young, dumb and full of... well you know). Glass on glass will make it scratch!
    Last edited by Lylej2k; 01-14-09 at 03:18 PM.
    01-14-09 03:15 PM
    Yahh i agree, i dont think simple "in your pocket" use will scratch it. And for the record, it kinda hopped out of my pocket while i was walking to my car. Now im paranoid tho and use a protector Just in case.
    01-14-09 03:20 PM
    Mohs Scale of Hardness scroll to the bottom and it shows the relative hardness of other items. Glass is 6-7 therefor only something with a hardness rating of 7 or up will scratch it.
    01-14-09 03:23 PM
    Mohs Scale of Hardness scroll to the bottom and it shows the relative hardness of other items. Glass is 6-7 therefor only something with a hardness rating of 7 or up will scratch it.
    Good thing I don't carry any Corundum, Iron Pyrate or Diamonds in my pocket. Though I do wish I could roll with some diamonds in my pocket
    01-14-09 03:26 PM
    wow, taking it back to science class!
    01-14-09 03:27 PM
    I'd take the corundum. rubies and saphires are cool too!
    01-14-09 03:28 PM
    Dropping your phone on gravel and expecting it to be unblemished is a little out of the scope BlackBerry expected when designing the screen! Even with a protector it may have sustained injury. I have had my storm sine day one in November. I used a protector for about 3 days then to **** with it!

No scratches, no blemishes, PERIOD.
    01-14-09 03:29 PM
    wow, taking it back to science class!
    I was a science nerd... I can't help it I figured that was the easiest way to show what was gonna scratch and what wouldn't...
    01-14-09 03:29 PM
    I've been using a screen protector (IS) since I've had my Storm but it recently developed some bubbles so I ripped it off. I just wanted to get some feedback on the durability of the unprotected screen.

I've seen the "tests" with the knife scratching and the nail box shaking, but I just wanted to know how it will hold up day to day?
    The durability of the unprotected screen is amazing. You have to REALLY screw up for this thing to get a scratch on it.

Oh, and fantastic user name
    01-14-09 03:35 PM
    Mine is in my pocket with my keys all day and there are no scratches.
    01-14-09 03:52 PM
    Mine is in my pocket with my keys all day and there are no scratches.
    OK, but how about the REST of the phone - plastic and chrome sides and back?
    01-14-09 04:14 PM
    OK, but how about the REST of the phone - plastic and chrome sides and back?
    Buy a "Skin" for the sides and back and top and ........
    01-14-09 04:15 PM
    Buy a "Skin" for the sides and back and top and ........
    Ahhh yes Good idea. I have my BestSkinsEver ready and waiting!
    01-14-09 04:20 PM
    does the touch screen work a little better if there is no protector over it? I just ordered the invisible shield. i'm going to use that on the rest of the phone but i was thinking of just keeping the screen protector that the phone comes with from verizon on there.
    01-14-09 04:32 PM
    Screen holds up very well. Haven't used protector since nOv and so far No scRatches. Friend has screen protector on his and thinks it is affecting storms sensitivity to touch.
    01-14-09 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD