This just shows how much you really don't know. I've given plenty of information out about this device. I'll give you two examples, when Kevin posted on the CB main page blog the Storm had Wifi. Then he changed it and said, well, it looks like it doesn't have Wifi. Either of them. Ask him who told him that. And I told you the GPS is unlocked. And theres more, but I care nothing about bragging nor proving my worth to you beyond what I've already done. Have a nice day.
    so basically kevin got a pm saying it doesnt have wifi and somehow the board as a whole is supposed to know that you were the one that broke the news? foh. and you simply confirmed what the blog reviewers had already said about the gps being "open," which is still a point of contention because people are now saying that the agps is still locked to vznav. foh pt 2. you have stated a 10000 times that you are under nda, which is just fine, but dont try to get all revisionist and act as if you have been leaking info like a sieve. the sum total of the "info" you have leaked has been, "maybe, maybe not (wink wink)," which isnt very helpful at all. people like kevin bryne have been the ones giving real info.

and its interesting to me that this thread is about the screen flex/discoloration issues yet in your posts you keep talking about the os and the browser.
    10-21-08 09:49 PM
    It is in fact plastic btw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 09:50 PM
    only a couple more posts til this thread passes the sticky, lol. just noticed it and thought i'd point it out
    10-21-08 09:50 PM
    Hey, let me give you a little insight in to the whole screen thing. Below is possibly a makeup of what the screen design is since it's been published/indicated that the Storm uses Synaptics' Clear Touch technology.

So, even for the sake of argument, if the lens was glass (which is fairly unlikely because RIM makes all their screen lenses out of plastic) the screen will still not be glass. What your finger will be touching will not be glass. I have no problem with being wrong, but using your same logic, prove me wrong that the screen portion you'll be touching is glass.

Honestly, I'd love to take a razor blade to it when I get mine and post it on YouTube ala iPhone razor blade vid just to prove you wrong, but I don't think that's going to happen.... cuz it's plastic.
    Ok guy, obviously you still don't get it. Prove me wrong? What exactly are you going to prove me wrong for? Like I said before, I never said whether the screen is glass or plastic. Someone said the screen was glass and you say no and ask for proof. There is no proof it's glass so you say it's plastic. Soooooo, I'm asking you for proof that it's plastic. Show me the official release that it says it's plastic! There is nothing that has been said so don't say it's plastic!!! Don't you get it?! That's all I'm trying to say! GEEZ! Then you come up with this...."if the lens was glass (which is fairly unlikely because RIM makes all their screen lenses out of plastic) the screen will still not be glass".....let's say that's true......this is RIM's first touchscreen so glass could be a first for this phone. So please, don't try to make me prove it's glass because again, I never said it was. I'm getting on you because you jump on someone for saying it's glass by asking for proof, but when you say it's plastic you provide no proof yourself. You don't know what it's made out of so keep it shut already. Specultaion doesn't cut it.
    10-21-08 09:51 PM
    ^^^ Yes, I think it does suck.
    LOL! As you can tell, I'm bored and like poking the fire. hehe

Something tells me that something sucks here?? Hmmm
    Last edited by Pholey22; 10-21-08 at 09:56 PM.
    10-21-08 09:54 PM
    where can i sign up to be a crackberry forum moderator? i'd do it for free*

free*=sending me a free Bold so i can monitor the forums
    10-21-08 09:56 PM
    where can i sign up to be a crackberry forum moderator? i'd do it for free*

free*=sending me a free Bold so i can monitor the forums

Hey, hey back off man!! That's my gig!!
    10-21-08 09:57 PM
    LOL! As you can tell, I'm bored and like poking the fire. hehe

Something tells me that something sucks here?? Hmmm
    This dead horse has been kicked ALL day. I'm just enjoying watching these 2 go back and forth at this point, lol
    10-21-08 09:58 PM
    This dead horse has been kicked ALL day. I'm just enjoying watching these 2 go back and forth at this point, lol
    LOL! Yup, me too! H ell I've ran out of things that suck. Now that does suck!

10-21-08 10:02 PM
    Got a G1 to go with my Curve and when pressing the screen it does not flex much at all and no discoloration.
    10-21-08 10:16 PM
    Hey, let me give you a little insight in to the whole screen thing. Below is possibly a makeup of what the screen design is since it's been published/indicated that the Storm uses Synaptics' Clear Touch technology.

So, even for the sake of argument, if the lens was glass (which is fairly unlikely because RIM makes all their screen lenses out of plastic) the screen will still not be glass. What your finger will be touching will not be glass. I have no problem with being wrong, but using your same logic, prove me wrong that the screen portion you'll be touching is glass.

Honestly, I'd love to take a razor blade to it when I get mine and post it on YouTube ala iPhone razor blade vid just to prove you wrong, but I don't think that's going to happen.... cuz it's plastic.

STRAIGHT FROM THE PRESS RELEASE ON RIMS WEBSITE:

The BlackBerry Storm smartphone, available from Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, also includes the following features and functions:

BlackBerry� Internet Service, BlackBerry� Unite!, BlackBerry� Professional Software and BlackBerry� Enterprise Server support
    Preloaded DataViz� Documents to Go� allows users to edit Microsoft� Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the handset
    3.2 megapixel camera with variable zoom, auto focus and a powerful flash that also provides continuous lighting when recording video
    Built-in GPS supports location-based applications and services, as well as geotagging of photos
    1 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD�/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB of additional storage
    Media player that can play movies smoothly in full-screen mode, display pictures and slideshows quickly and manage an entire music collection; playlists can be created directly on the handset and there�s an equalizer with 11 preset filters � including �Lounge,� �Jazz� and �Hip Hop� � for customized audio ranges when using wired headphones or external speakers
    A 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, support for Bluetooth� stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP) and dedicated volume controls
    Sleek, elegant design with contoured corners, stainless steel back and chrome accents surrounding its large (3.25") glass lens; its exceptional 480 x 360 resolution at 184 ppi is crisp and bright with eye-pleasing clarity
    An ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts backlighting for ideal screen viewing and an accelerometer that allows customers to view applications in either portrait or landscape mode by simply rotating the handset
    Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately six hours of talk time on 3G networks and 15 days of standby time

glass glass GLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    10-21-08 10:23 PM
    STRAIGHT FROM THE PRESS RELEASE ON RIMS WEBSITE:

The BlackBerry Storm smartphone, available from Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, also includes the following features and functions:

BlackBerry� Internet Service, BlackBerry� Unite!, BlackBerry� Professional Software and BlackBerry� Enterprise Server support
    Preloaded DataViz� Documents to Go� allows users to edit Microsoft� Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the handset
    3.2 megapixel camera with variable zoom, auto focus and a powerful flash that also provides continuous lighting when recording video
    Built-in GPS supports location-based applications and services, as well as geotagging of photos
    1 GB of onboard memory storage and a microSD�/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16 GB of additional storage
    Media player that can play movies smoothly in full-screen mode, display pictures and slideshows quickly and manage an entire music collection; playlists can be created directly on the handset and there�s an equalizer with 11 preset filters � including �Lounge,� �Jazz� and �Hip Hop� � for customized audio ranges when using wired headphones or external speakers
    A 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, support for Bluetooth� stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP) and dedicated volume controls
    Sleek, elegant design with contoured corners, stainless steel back and chrome accents surrounding its large (3.25") glass lens; its exceptional 480 x 360 resolution at 184 ppi is crisp and bright with eye-pleasing clarity
    An ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts backlighting for ideal screen viewing and an accelerometer that allows customers to view applications in either portrait or landscape mode by simply rotating the handset
    Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides approximately six hours of talk time on 3G networks and 15 days of standby time

glass glass GLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    Civic will probably say the same thing, but just because the "lens" is glass, does not mean that the part your hand (or finger) is touching.
    10-21-08 10:25 PM
    Civic will probably say the same thing, but just because the "lens" is glass, does not mean that the part your hand (or finger) is touching.
    But in the picture Civic posted, the finger is clearly touching the LENS. Which is stated to be glass.....?
    10-21-08 10:27 PM
    LOL, thank you for that Brandon26pdx.....now I'd like to see what Civic has to say. He probably won't reply, but if he does he'll say........."Like I said, if the lens was glass (which is fairly unlikely because RIM makes all their screen lenses out of plastic) the screen will still not be glass. What your finger will be touching will not be glass." What a ***** he is. He's knows he's wrong now but will never admit it.
    10-21-08 10:28 PM
    it's amazing how this thread got jacked from the word go!!! one persons terrible opinion turned into a thread jack.....OWNED!!!
    10-21-08 10:36 PM
    FAIL.

you do know the difference between the lens and the screen right? let me give you a hint: the lens is small and found on the back next to the flash.

so basically rim couldnt even get their own press release right without having a typo. the screen may very well end up being glass but that press release is far from conclusive.
    10-21-08 10:37 PM
    FAIL.

you do know the difference between the lens and the screen right? let me give you a hint: the lens is small and found on the back next to the flash.

so basically rim couldnt even get their own press release right without having a typo. the screen may very well end up being glass but that press release is far from conclusive.
    DOH! Call me stupid, go ahead.. apparently I didn't look at the picture. The lens is considered the top part. Hopefully it is glass.

Can Kevin confirm this in any way? He's been playing with one recently...
    10-21-08 10:42 PM
    "The BlackBerry Storm for Verizon does away with the familiar BlackBerry physical keyboard in favor of a glass touch screen like the iPhone. But unlike the iPhone, the Storm provides tactile feedback. When you push a letter on the virtual keypad, springs beneath the glass make it noticeable, just as if you were pushing a real key."
    10-21-08 10:45 PM
    FAIL.

Hmmm thats odd. I was under the impression you call a part of the touch screen a lens. Also a (3.25") glass lens. Wow. To me that sounds like one big ****ing lens for a camera on a phone. Also its weird that the length of the phone is a little over 4in's...Coincidence?
    10-21-08 10:47 PM
    FAIL.

Um..actually..I'm fairly sure a lens can just be the cover above the touch sensor.

This is a description not for the Storm, but it uses the word "lens" to describe the screen:
    "Projective Capacitive Sensor component is behind the glass front cover lens for protection"
    comes from this site: Leading Projective Capacitive Touch Screen, PCT Touch, LCD, TFT, OLED, Liquid Crystal Display, Graphic Display, Touchscreen, LCD backlight and LED Lightguide manufacturer.
    Last edited by RobUM2011; 10-21-08 at 10:50 PM.
    FAIL.

FAIL.

You do know that a lens is not limited to a camera right?

lens [lenz] Pronunciation Key - plural lens�es
    –noun
    1. a piece of transparent substance, usually glass, having two opposite surfaces either both curved or one curved and one plane, used in an optical device in changing the convergence of light rays, as for magnification, or in correcting defects of vision.

Or perhaps this one:

3: something shaped like a biconvex optical lens <lens of sandstone>

And even without that definition, Civic himself posted a picture in which the top layer of the capacitive display is labeled "LENS/CASING," and he did not at all dispute that the top layer can be called a lens. Clearly he thinks it's appropriate, or at the very least, Synaptics believes it is.
    Yeah but doesn't it say a large 3.25" lens glass? I think it's referring to the screen not the camera.
    10-21-08 10:50 PM
    Yeah but doesn't it say a large 3.25" lens glass? I think it's referring to the screen not the camera.
    sdotmiles' argument was that RIM was so stupid/careless that they inserted the word "lens" by mistake when they meant to say "screen."
    10-21-08 10:52 PM
    Haha sdotmiles just got told by several different people.
    10-21-08 10:52 PM
    LOL, thank you for that Brandon26pdx.....now I'd like to see what Civic has to say. He probably won't reply, but if he does he'll say........."Like I said, if the lens was glass (which is fairly unlikely because RIM makes all their screen lenses out of plastic) the screen will still not be glass. What your finger will be touching will not be glass." What a ***** he is. He's knows he's wrong now but will never admit it.
    you need to get over yourself dude. Move on already.

Nobody cares.

10-21-08 10:53 PM
220 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD