Don't let what somebody who doesn't even have the phone says make you not get it. You should wait til the phone comes out and actually have a chance to play with it yourself. So easily persuaded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yea try it for yourself first. These pictures and videos are not wrong though. Like I said in my other post, hopefully it will be fixed for release.
    10-21-08 11:42 AM
    Good call Civic. Thats 3 thrikes for me. 1. Substandard Browser(still) 2. Laggy OS 3. this latest discoloration issue.

I have a feeling this Storm is going to turn out to be like the Pearl, a piece of crap.

I'm sure in time RIMS touchscreens will get better but this one I will pass on.
    Hahaha.....I like your 1st and 2nd reasons. Especially because you've never actually held the phone.

10-21-08 11:43 AM
    Hahaha.....I like your 1st and 2nd reasons. Especially because you've never actually held the phone.

Well his first reason is actually correct. Reviews have said the browser is the best BB browser so far, but it is still lacking the punch it should have. I haven't heard any issues about the OS though.

I can't wait for the Pluto though.
    10-21-08 11:45 AM
    As much as I don't want to admit it, that would be a terrible flaw, and all I keep conjuring up in my mind is how the screen on an old calculator eventually starts to get all janky around the edges. I know I'm not spending upwards of $400 (because I am paying full retail) for a phone with this kinda problems going on. I sincerely hope this is not the case when I handle the phone. It really may be the deal breaker. Sucks.
    10-21-08 11:59 AM
    As much as I don't want to admit it, that would be a terrible flaw, and all I keep conjuring up in my mind is how the screen on an old calculator eventually starts to get all janky around the edges. I know I'm not spending upwards of $400 (because I am paying full retail) for a phone with this kinda problems going on. I sincerely hope this is not the case when I handle the phone. It really may be the deal breaker. Sucks.
    Hopefully a new review comes out saying that this problem is gone (if reviewers get the newest pre-release version, unless the other video/reviews had that version), until then, there is nothing anyone can do but wait till release day.
    10-21-08 12:03 PM
    You've got some sort of inside track on this new device I see...makes me take a second guess when people such as yourself who actually seem to know something about the device are less than thrilled with it. I've also had questions about the long term durability of this design, but I guess we will see.
    I'm familiar with the dual-dome prototype. It has a nasty habit of 'double-clicking' when firmly pressed in the center, creating two little 'circle ripples' above and below where the domes connect (portrait orientation) I'd rather see RIM pull the plug on a 2008 release and get the screen sorted, because by the looks of things the FCC'd single-dome model suffers the same issue, albeit to a less extent.
    Last edited by thatfenderstratguy; 10-21-08 at 12:10 PM.
    10-21-08 12:07 PM
    Well his first reason is actually correct. Reviews have said the browser is the best BB browser so far, but it is still lacking the punch it should have. I haven't heard any issues about the OS though.

I can't wait for the Pluto though.
    Wait for a review on the final released version. Reviews right now are not based on the final build so you can't really go off everything they say.

10-21-08 12:10 PM
    Wait for a review on the final released version. Reviews right now are not based on the final build so you can't really go off everything they say.

Oh I know. But even final releases aren't really final releases. Always need to wait for that update a few weeks in for things to really get better.
    10-21-08 12:14 PM
    Good call Civic. Thats 3 strikes for me. 1. Substandard Browser(still) 2. Laggy OS 3. this latest discoloration issue.

I have a feeling this Storm is going to turn out to be like the Pearl, a piece of crap. This is all very dissappointing but at the same time it's better all these issues have come out. In time this discoloration problem will have an effect on the device. I can only surmise that replacement screens will become an issue 6 months after this thing comes out.

I'm sure in time RIMS touchscreens will get better but this one I will pass on.
    You sir are an *****. First off, the browser is not substandard. Second, could you tell me what build of OS is "laggy"?? Do you know what the latest build is? Do you know what OS its shipping with? No. You're basing an opinion off of pre-release SW, and trying to act like that's what its shipping with. I won't even reply to the last one, because I've wasted enough of my time on your ignorant statements. Maybe you should re-evaluate your "opinions" on the Storm when you actually get to use it.

10-21-08 12:15 PM

somebody's been drinking the Kool-aid.
    Last edited by Balloon Knot; 10-21-08 at 12:22 PM.
    10-21-08 12:19 PM
    You sir are an *****. First off, the browser is not substandard. Second, could you tell me what build of OS is "laggy"?? Do you know what the latest build is? Do you know what OS its shipping with? No. You're basing an opinion off of pre-release SW, and trying to act like that's what its shipping with. I won't even reply to the last one, because I've wasted enough of my time on your ignorant statements. Maybe you should re-evaluate your "opinions" on the Storm when you actually get to use it.

Finally CX chimes in to set some people straight.
    10-21-08 12:20 PM
    sounds like you have been drinking the Kool-aid iHack.
    Well you really do need to wait till the final release comes out to make real reviews on it.
    10-21-08 12:22 PM
    Wish he would have addressed the screen flex/discoloration issue. Otherwise, I agree about the OS...the newer clips do show it working pretty quick. As far as the WEB...no opinion yet, but it seems better than my Curve...LOL...as I would expect, due to larger screen, newer OS etc.

Finally CX chimes in to set some people straight.
    Last edited by checkingout; 10-21-08 at 12:28 PM.
    10-21-08 12:24 PM
    Warranty won't fix this problem for you as the replacement will have the same issue. It's a design flaw, not a hardware/software "bug".
    umm...HTC had screen issues, and low and behold - when you sent it in, they replaced the WHOLE screen with the upgraded/improved version...under warranty. Despite being without the phone for 2 weeks, it was actually VERY pleasant to deal with - considering.
    10-21-08 12:25 PM
    Drinking kool-aid?? Lol. No, unlike you, I've actually used the device. For almost 2 months, so I believe I know a little bit more, atleast in this situation, than you about the Blackberry Storm. You know, there's a big difference between watching videos online, and looking at spec sheets and reviews versus actually testing the device for an extended period of time.....

10-21-08 12:26 PM

Wow. I'm glad I can express an opinion freely in here without getting attacked. You would think I was talking about you from the aggressiveness of your post. I was talking about the Storm.

Breathe deep and relax. Discuss things calmy.
    10-21-08 12:29 PM
    somebody's been drinking the Kool-aid.
    I think we now know what happend to Brew Ninja
    10-21-08 12:30 PM

Thank you for just backing up what I said. Not only is he making judgements on a phone he has never touched but he is also making judgements based on somebody elses judgements who has also never had the phone in his own personal use. Just bad decisions based on incomplete info.

10-21-08 12:30 PM
    Drinking kool-aid?? Lol. No, unlike you, I've actually used the device. For almost 2 months, so I believe I know a little bit more, atleast in this situation, than you about the Blackberry Storm. You know, there's a big difference between watching videos online, and looking at spec sheets and reviews versus actually testing the device for an extended period of time.....

So what do you think of the discoloration issue and it's long-term wear-n-tear?
    10-21-08 12:39 PM
    Man with this big screen it's going to be hard to lick it clean, much bigger than my 8830!!!! ;-)
    10-21-08 12:44 PM
    think of it as more flavor to savor! ;-)
    10-21-08 12:48 PM
    Kevin's comments about handling the Storm from the front page:

"Initial Verdict? I WANT ONE [struckthrough] TWO!!!"

Call it a hunch, but I suspect that if the discoloring were as big a deal as it's being blown up to be, Kevin would not have been nearly as enthusiastic.
    10-21-08 12:58 PM
    What a warm welcome I have recieved. I guess pointing out the obvious flaws with this phone was not such a good thing to do.

I don't want to argue about the "improved" browser, because thats all it is "improved" i.e better, but still not up to par.

As far as the OS folks will soon determine that.

I just wanted to simply say that this latest issue (discoloration of screen), which is a major one with me, is the dealbreaker. It's got cheap written all over it and will lead to problems.

"its not the final release" holds no weight with me. It's nothing more than a standard answer to a serious flaw.

This is just my opinion and others can disagree. There's no need to resort to personal attacks to get a point across.
    10-21-08 01:05 PM
    Curious what Crucials view of the screen flexing is?

I'm a little sick and tired of hearing about "not final versions", "updated hardware", "newest OS". We are viewing actually promotional videos released by RIM to hype their device. If RIM didn't want people to question anything they see in these videos, don't release them.

Odd thing, I don't ever remember a pre-release video of the iPhone showing screen issues, or other problems that were "promised" to be fixed in later revisions.
    10-21-08 01:07 PM
    Curious what Crucials view of the screen flexing is?

I'm a little sick and tired of hearing about "not final versions", "updated hardware", "newest OS". We are viewing actually promotional videos released by RIM to hype their device. If RIM didn't want people to question anything they see in these videos, don't release them.

Odd thing, I don't ever remember a pre-release video of the iPhone showing screen issues, or other problems that were "promised" to be fixed in later revisions.
    We all know Apple is better at marketing.
    10-21-08 01:10 PM
220 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD