This post is just like the post about the gaps between the frame and the screen. Listen, don't you think if it was a problem the people giving these hands on reviews would mention it. Instead you have someone who hasn't even touched the phone, over analysing and just looking for problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 06:49 AM
    the screen is glass we know that for sure, it is on the spec sheets!
    all the warping happened during a press of the screen and that was exactly one of the problems we heard they were having. i think i read it on hofo. the release versions will have solved the problem hopefully.
    10-21-08 06:49 AM
    If I notice this and it becomes a problem I will just return it and keep returning it until they do a recall - :P

Sometimes it looks as if it's just showing you where you clicked. I could be wrong though.
    10-21-08 08:04 AM
    I think that this is why that lame "ninja" guy kept saying "I don't like it"
    10-21-08 08:12 AM
    Besides, us picking this phone apart is what RIM will use to improve their products in the future.
    This is along the same lines as what I said a long time ago. If no one gave any constructive criticism about a product, nothing would improve.
    10-21-08 08:27 AM
    Wheres Crucial when you need him?
    10-21-08 09:03 AM
    they could have also had a screen protector or something on it that wasn't put on properly, since i'm sure those devices were passed around to a lot of hands for show... I'm guessing the person may also just be pushing way too hard on the screen...

just my 2cents!
    10-21-08 09:21 AM
    Well I was very much looking forward to the phone especially after the last engadget video. They solved the accelerometer lag, internet seemed up to par, and it just looked tidier than usual. If that discoloration was because of a pre-model issue it's not a big deal to me. If it shows up on the final version of the phone I think it'll be a deal breaker to me. I'd rather wait for Storm 2 or whatever they'll come up with next. It's not because it discolors in it of itself, but because that discoloration could cause later-term damage to the phone making it more of a hassle to use as far as touch goes. Sure there are warranties and all, but I'm not wanting to send in the phone and wait to get a replacement when I knew it would probably happen. I'd rather wait. Although, some people don't mind sending in the phone several times for a new one!
    It's all in the way you look at it and this is my 2c
    10-21-08 09:35 AM
    Who said the screen is made of glass? I have never seen anything that says this. Please show me actual release info that shows it's made of glass. I think we all wanted it to be glass, but alas, it's plastic. Also, even if it was glass and there was an issue with the glass layers in the screen, this would also happen. Maybe it'll be fixed, but the phone they are using in those videos are not the same early proofs that all the tech sites got to play with. This version looks a little newer, which is why I'm not optimistic about this problem.
    So Civic, someone already asked you but I'm pretty sure you pretended you didn't see it. Since you very boldly said the screen is not glass and that it's plastic, I have this to say to you........Who said the screen is made of plastic? I have never seen anything that says this. Please show me actual release info that shows it's made of plastic. Sound familiar? I'll be waiting for your proof.
    10-21-08 09:39 AM
    Anyone think of asking someone who has used this device lately if this is still an issue? Like Kevin? I remember him saying in another thread that he used this device for like an hour last night. I'd ask him but I'm not really to concerned with this issue. I wouldn't ask Crucial because he works for RIM and doesn't say anything bad about the Storm......sometimes sounds like he's trying to sell them. Probably would say he can't say and that that information is under NDA
    10-21-08 09:46 AM
    I htink this is because the iphone uses heat sensitivity on a glass screen. I just hope i can type fast on it.
    The iPhone/iPod click wheel uses electrical currents, not heat sensitivity.

Either way, I'm hoping this is just a pre-release model issue they've resolved.
    10-21-08 09:51 AM
    All of this knit-picking is seriously getting rediculous. Just wait until the final version of the phone to come out and then spend some time with it to make your final judgment. Also as far as the screen being plastic or glass it shouldn't make much of a difference. I think it's more important to see how responsive the screen is. By the way, the G1 screen is plastic but Its capacitive and responds very well to touch. Just my 2 cents. I just want this thing to come out so I can play with it myself. Make an announcement already Verizon

Last edited by moni19; 10-21-08 at 09:56 AM.
    10-21-08 09:52 AM
    My question is "what LCD screen doesn't do that, when you physically apply pressure to the screen?" if you find a lcd that doesn't do that when pressure is applied then maybe you should let RIM know, but chances are RIM knew this already and there isn't a lcd out there that doesn't do it. The ipone and htc phones don't count because they have a glass screen that only senses touch and weren't made to be touch and pressure active.
    10-21-08 10:21 AM
    My question is "what LCD screen doesn't do that, when you physically apply pressure to the screen?" if you find a lcd that doesn't do that when pressure is applied then maybe you should let RIM know, but chances are RIM knew this already and there isn't a lcd out there that doesn't do it. The ipone and htc phones don't count because they have a glass screen that only senses touch and weren't made to be touch and pressure active.
    Uhhhh.......my LG Dare doesn't do that......just tried it. I'll let RIM know right away!
    10-21-08 10:51 AM
    This thread is hilarious.

The screen is 100% glass, and the tech is capacitive (a la iPhone). 'Touch' selection can only be made by skin contact, thus a stylus won't work.

The 'rippling' occurs as a by-product of the 'pressure' dome behind the screen - pressing down on the glass screen offsets it at a slight angle to the plate holding the screen above the dome. As the two plates compress, the LCD screen is squished, hence the ripple. This is worse on the dual-dome prototype model, where the pressure holding the LCD backplate is double the strength of the release single dome model (one reason why the dual-dome tech was scrapped).

Shoddy? Annoying? Disappointing? Yes, yes, yes.

Will it cause long-term damage? I can only speculate: most probably. I am highly dubious about it's long-term durability, and reckon replacement screens will be the most common repair type.

What the iPhone has on the Storm, is all-out durability. I think the Storm was a knee-**** reaction by RIM, and one that'll be phased out soon in favor of Pluto-style devices.

This said, I'm getting a Storm on release day. I think it's going to be a great BlackBerry for all the reasons that has and will make the 9000 series the flagship RIM series... but the 'click' pressure touchscreen tech... I seriously hope it's redesigned or scrapped. As it stands, it's awful, awful, awful.
    10-21-08 10:58 AM
    Uhhhh.......my LG Dare doesn't do that......just tried it. I'll let RIM know right away!
    yeah but your lg dare doesn't depend on pressure only touch.
    10-21-08 11:07 AM
    yeah but your lg dare doesn't depend on pressure only touch.
    Uhhhhh.......it's resistive and it's a plastic screen......it does require some pressure. iPhone on the other hand requires only touch.
    Last edited by iHack7; 10-21-08 at 11:31 AM.
    10-21-08 11:22 AM
    F its all glass then that's pretty sweet I just hope it lasts for at least a year. Heheh

10-21-08 11:32 AM
    just viewed the video posted yesterday called "email". It has a ton of screen flexing going on. Watch the top of the screen everytime a letter is typed. A blue discoloration appears at the very top and corners (not the normal blue glow that appears showing the selected key).

I never noticed this until it was pointed out here. Kind of disappointing.
    10-21-08 11:33 AM
    Good call Civic. Thats 3 strikes for me. 1. Substandard Browser(still) 2. Laggy OS 3. this latest discoloration issue.

I have a feeling this Storm is going to turn out to be like the Pearl, a piece of crap. This is all very dissappointing but at the same time it's better all these issues have come out. In time this discoloration problem will have an effect on the device. I can only surmise that replacement screens will become an issue 6 months after this thing comes out.

I'm sure in time RIMS touchscreens will get better but this one I will pass on.
    Last edited by Balloon Knot; 10-21-08 at 11:45 AM.
    10-21-08 11:33 AM
    Good call Civic. Thats 3 thrikes for me. 1. Substandard Browser(still) 2. Laggy OS 3. this latest discoloration issue.

I have a feeling this Storm is going to turn out to be like the Pearl, a piece of crap.

Not to pull this off topic, but the Pearl is hardly a piece of crap.
    10-21-08 11:38 AM
    The fact that the screen changes color doesn't bother me much because it's transient, but what I am concerned about is longevity and eventual failure of the screen due to "wear and tear", I'm definately getting the Storm but I will also definately be getting insurance, which I have not had on my past 5 phones.
    10-21-08 11:39 AM
    Good call Civic. Thats 3 thrikes for me. 1. Substandard Browser(still) 2. Laggy OS 3. this latest discoloration issue.

I have a feeling this Storm is going to turn out to be like the Pearl, a piece of crap.

Don't let what somebody who doesn't even have the phone says make you not get it. You should wait til the phone comes out and actually have a chance to play with it yourself. So easily persuaded.

10-21-08 11:39 AM
    Not to pull this off topic, but the Pearl is hardly a piece of crap.
    Yea, the Pearl is definitely not a piece of crap. Hopefully these issues on the Storm are resolved. I can see this causing a lot of anger on release day if this annoyance still exists.
    10-21-08 11:40 AM
    This thread is hilarious.

The screen is 100% glass, and the tech is capacitive (a la iPhone). 'Touch' selection can only be made by skin contact, thus a stylus won't work.

The 'rippling' occurs as a by-product of the 'pressure' dome behind the screen - pressing down on the glass screen offsets it at a slight angle to the plate holding the screen above the dome. As the two plates compress, the LCD screen is squished, hence the ripple. This is worse on the dual-dome prototype model, where the pressure holding the LCD backplate is double the strength of the release single dome model (one reason why the dual-dome tech was scrapped).

Shoddy? Annoying? Disappointing? Yes, yes, yes.

Will it cause long-term damage? I can only speculate: most probably. I am highly dubious about it's long-term durability, and reckon replacement screens will be the most common repair type.

What the iPhone has on the Storm, is all-out durability. I think the Storm was a knee-**** reaction by RIM, and one that'll be phased out soon in favor of Pluto-style devices.

This said, I'm getting a Storm on release day. I think it's going to be a great BlackBerry for all the reasons that has and will make the 9000 series the flagship RIM series... but the 'click' pressure touchscreen tech... I seriously hope it's redesigned or scrapped. As it stands, it's awful, awful, awful.
    You've got some sort of inside track on this new device I see...makes me take a second guess when people such as yourself who actually seem to know something about the device are less than thrilled with it. I've also had questions about the long term durability of this design, but I guess we will see.
    10-21-08 11:41 AM
220 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD