OK, if the screen is made of glass and glass DOESN'T flex, HOW CAN THIS BE !?!?! If the final model of the Storm does this, it's a deal breaker for me. Repeated pressure causing discoloration over time is CERTAIN to kill screen pixels !!
    Who said the screen is made of glass? I have never seen anything that says this. Please show me actual release info that shows it's made of glass. I think we all wanted it to be glass, but alas, it's plastic. Also, even if it was glass and there was an issue with the glass layers in the screen, this would also happen. Maybe it'll be fixed, but the phone they are using in those videos are not the same early proofs that all the tech sites got to play with. This version looks a little newer, which is why I'm not optimistic about this problem.
    10-20-08 10:52 PM
    I htink this is because the iphone uses heat sensitivity on a glass screen. I just hope i can type fast on it.
    Oh snap, that means Vampires cannot use an iPhone.
    10-20-08 10:54 PM
    From experience with several recent touchscreen phones, I've noticed some being much softer than others. My Samsung i760 was very soft and had a mushy, easily distorted screen from the touch. I also recently used the HTC Touch, and HTC Diamond. Both had a much harder screen but with hardly any discoloration from using it how it's supposed to be. (I'm not sure about how it looked when pressing very hard on it since this isn't required for normal operation). The Iphone is similar in this way too but I don't have one right now to know for sure what happens when you press hard on it.

I just asked my brother a minute ago if I could use his LG Dare and see what happens when I press slightly harder than normal and noticed it BARELY discolors. (He was like "What are you doin man?!" haha)

The thing with the Storm is that you HAVE to push on it a little harder since it needs to click and this might be more common than other phones. Honestly, I doubt it will be a big deal cuz even the video looks really minor.

Cromag brought up a good point though. If it does it slightly, it won't really bother me unless it has a lasting effect on it.
    10-20-08 10:58 PM
    I like how people use the "its not final" excuse for everything. That doesn't apply here. They will not go back to the drawing board at this point and redesign the screen or materials used. That would be a major delay.

The thing to keep in mind is that a device will generally go through about half a dozen hardware revisions before launch. Early models will generally have some fairly severe defects and often lack certain features. Obviously I don't know what iteration that device is but if the screen discolouration was a problem in early models it is something they would fix if possible.
    10-20-08 10:59 PM
    First of all, this phone rocks and I've already made up my mind that it will be my next device. The day that I'm finally able to get one of these puppies in my hands is the day I **** my pants in sheer happiness.

However, when I watched the videos this was the first thing that popped out at me. At first I thought it was perhaps the blue glow from the highlighting but then I noticed that it was actually the screen flexing. To be honest, this is fairly disappointing to me. I'm really hoping that this is an issue that has been fixed and that the fact that no other site has mentioned this problem after handling the phone is indication that it's something that was corrected.
    10-20-08 10:59 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, I'm sorry, was that out loud?

Seriously, this is not a feature. Do you think it's a feature of your laptop LCD screen to discolor as well when you press it? Perhaps it's to let you know that you're pressing something that you shouldn't be and causing damage...

I'm sorry if this post makes you feel bad, but you didn't honestly believe I would let you get away with such a viewpoint... did you?
    Woah, I think you didn't understand him. I think liquidsense thought we were talking about the "glow feature" that follows your finger on the keyboard, not the actual discoloration of the screen that's NOT supposed to happen.
    10-20-08 11:01 PM
    The Iphone is similar in this way too but I don't have one right now to know for sure what happens when you press hard on it.
    You have to press really hard on it for a slight discoloration to show. You really have to push down on it.
    10-20-08 11:03 PM
    I'm really hoping that this is an issue that has been fixed and that the fact that no other site has mentioned this problem after handling the phone is indication that it's something that was corrected.
    Thanks for your post, I know exactly how you feel. However, perhaps the people reviewing this phone on the tech sites weren't bothered by the discoloration and flex. As you can see even in this thread, not everyone is super picky. Those of us who have a keen eye for details pick up on this stuff, others don't. Soon I'll be changing my avatar to Monk I think.
    10-20-08 11:06 PM
    Everyone points out the suspected bad. Civic, take your camera and take a picture (and or a short video) of your television - now tell me how Fracked up those pic's are. It's my suspicion from my own photographic experince that this could be just the case we see here.

New rule:
    For every bad point you pull out on the device you have to pull out a great one too.

I noticed that the apparent lag (in revent videos) when rotating the phone from, or to, landscape to portrait is gone.

All is good though Civic. I just keep asking myself how much of my 401k would it take for me to produce a device like this myself!
    10-20-08 11:09 PM
    Woah, I think you didn't understand him. I think liquidsense thought we were talking about the "glow feature" that follows your finger on the keyboard, not the actual discoloration of the screen that's NOT supposed to happen.
    Based on this quote, in one of the videos, he presses down on the Google text field and the screen discolors on the edge. It's not the glow affect.

For example, on the google text field, it lets you know that you've clicked the text field.
    10-20-08 11:10 PM
    If your basing yourself on something that is OBVIOUS to happen on an LCD screen, then you shouldnt be using a BlackBerry. Id suggest a RAZR. No offense ment to anyone, I mean this in general.
    10-20-08 11:19 PM
    Everyone points out the suspected bad. Civic, take your camera and take a picture (and or a short video) of your television - now tell me how Fracked up those pic's are. It's my suspicion from my own photographic experince that this could be just the case we see here.
    I have with an 8MP to show my cable TV area supervisor how bad the HD channels pixelate when they first expanded the lineup. It didn't take long for them to fix the issue. The videos and pics were very clear.

All is good though Civic. I just keep asking myself how much of my 401k would it take for me to produce a device like this myself!
    I don't think that gives RIM or anyone for that matter an excuse to produce a product with an issue like this. If the Storm was developed with older screen tech then I would expect it to be as lame as other phones. The problem I have is that RIM prided themselves on a revolutionary screen design, when in fact it's just a plastic touchscreen that clicks. Perhaps Vodaphone sending Mike packing when he presented the first Storm incarnation should have given us all better hindsight here on what to expect or not expect. I just feel let down a bit, that's all. Besides, us picking this phone apart is what RIM will use to improve their products in the future.
    10-20-08 11:21 PM
    If your basing yourself on something that is OBVIOUS to happen on an LCD screen, then you shouldnt be using a BlackBerry. Id suggest a RAZR. No offense ment to anyone, I mean this in general.
    Ya, because the RAZR doesn't use an LCD screen.
    10-20-08 11:23 PM
    I have with an 8MP to show my cable TV area supervisor how bad the HD channels pixelate when they first expanded the lineup. It didn't take long for them to fix the issue. The videos and pics were very clear.

I don't think that gives RIM or anyone for that matter an excuse to produce a product with an issue like this. If the Storm was developed with older screen tech then I would expect it to be as lame as other phones. The problem I have is that RIM prided themselves on a revolutionary screen design, when in fact it's just a plastic touchscreen that clicks. Perhaps Vodaphone sending Mike packing when he presented the first Storm incarnation should have given us all better hindsight here on what to expect or not expect. I just feel let down a bit, that's all. Besides, us picking this phone apart is what RIM will use to improve their products in the future.
    I am curious....how do you know its a plastic screen?
    10-20-08 11:26 PM
    Well I didn't take the pic's, as well I am considering the source who say's themself that they suck at photography LOL. I like you Civic am patiently waiting on Kev's review and my own hands on. Will it be the Storm, or the iPhone....Time will tell.
    10-20-08 11:26 PM
    Based on this quote, in one of the videos, he presses down on the Google text field and the screen discolors on the edge. It's not the glow affect.
    Good point, after reading his post again it does seem like that's what he's saying. Ma baaaad.
    10-20-08 11:27 PM
    not for nothing, but are you pressing down too hard on the screen to begin with to get that effect?

I'll take my chances - and if it turns out to be an issue, THAT'S what the warranty is for.
    10-20-08 11:29 PM
    I'll take my chances - and if it turns out to be an issue, THAT'S what the warranty is for.
    Warranty won't fix this problem for you as the replacement will have the same issue. It's a design flaw, not a hardware/software "bug".
    10-20-08 11:34 PM
    I figured if it was a big issue, reputable sites like cnet, engadget, gizmodo, etc. would bring this issue up though.
    Agreed. I do not think this is a problem and this thread is null and void. A site like Engadget would have definitely pointed something like this out...unless *GASP*...it was fixed by the time they got the device!

You're not the only one who would have noticed this issue, Civic.
    10-20-08 11:39 PM
    The Storm in these videos is newer then the Storm sample that tech sites reviewed a few weeks ago.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see who's right in the end.
    10-21-08 12:04 AM
    The Storm in these videos is newer then the Storm sample that tech sites reviewed a few weeks ago.

Then why wouldn't they say anything? Seems strange to me!

And I guess we WILL have to wait and see... ....but at that point I probably won't care haha
    10-21-08 12:08 AM
    im not sure that the phone could have a capacitive screen if it werent glass. and we know that the screen itself is capacitive, without respect to the click mechanism.

i think what another poster was talking about with regards to this under warranty was that if this condition were to be caused by simply pressing on the screen TOO HARD that could lead to a failure, hence the warranty, not that just replacing it under warranty if it werent misused.
    10-21-08 12:29 AM
    From the original announcement press release a few weeks ago:

"Sleek, elegant design with contoured corners, stainless steel back and chrome accents surrounding its large (3.25″) glass lens; its exceptional 480 x 360 resolution at 184 ppi is crisp and bright with eye pleasing clarity"

Emphasis mine. Clearly they don't mean "lens" in the sense of a focusing lens like in a camera (unless the camera lens is THAT huge and nobody has picked up on it), and the rest of the paragraph is devoted to talking about the display resolution, so my best conclusion is that the "glass lens" is the clear overlay of the screen.
    10-21-08 12:36 AM

How do we know that its newer? (I'm just saying)

However if this does hold true it is quite a let down, however it wont stop me from getting the Storm. The way I look at it is that I have such a ****ty phone now almost any phone would be worth purchasing (especially the Storm). I'll just get it with a 1 year contract and then purchase the Storm 2/HD/whatever when that comes out.
    10-21-08 12:43 AM
    I think you're all missing the point here. Everyone was sold on this device by RIM/VZW that the screen technology was going to be revolutionary and awesome. Yeah, awesome on how it flexes. How do you miss this during development? Obviously the answer is... PLASTIC SCREEN. Heck, other touchscreen phones don't have this problem... at least ones I've used.
    that with glass screens before on the edges. Now if it was doing it in the middle of the screen when he pushed down then I would think it was plastic. I would be a little concerned about that but then again that is what the insurance is for right??
    10-21-08 04:36 AM
220 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD