Wow, look at the frames taken from the videos posted on the blog page. The screen flexes and discolors like an LCD screen does on the edges when you press down. WTF RIM? Why would you release it like this? This is a major turnoff for me... anyone else?

10-20-08 09:30 PM
    Great, I didn't notice this until you pointed it out and now I'll be paying attention to it as soon as I get it. I hope I can get past this.
    10-20-08 09:34 PM
    If it does no harm I don't see a big fuss about it. Chances are if you are pressing on the screen you're more focused/concentrating on the text you're typing than the edges of the screen.
    -Rik
    10-20-08 09:40 PM
    Civic if you don't like it don't buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 09:47 PM
    Civic if you don't like it don't buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And the classic response from the slappys.
    10-20-08 09:48 PM
    Eh...that... really doesn't bother me... I mean... not at all. I'm still sold. It'll take more than an incredibly slight discoloration when clicking to turn me away from what appears to be an awesome phone.
    10-20-08 09:50 PM
    Damn that's a shame. It doesn't look that bad though. I'm coming from a Samsung SCH-i760 which had a really soft screen and discolored much more frequently and intensely than that. It was also a touchscreen so it's very common to see it when you're pressing the screen with the stylus all the time.

Sorry to bring up the iphone again but it doesn't do that (from what I remember). Still, other features like the clicking screen sounds better than the iphone anways heh. I'm really excited for this phone! Those videos really impressed me.
    10-20-08 10:02 PM
    Good eye, Civic. I wonder what exactly is going on there.
    10-20-08 10:04 PM
    Doesnt bother me. Im in love with the Storm. Im so glad I waited on buying the iPhone.
    10-20-08 10:07 PM
    I think you're all missing the point here. Everyone was sold on this device by RIM/VZW that the screen technology was going to be revolutionary and awesome. Yeah, awesome on how it flexes. How do you miss this during development? Obviously the answer is... PLASTIC SCREEN. Heck, other touchscreen phones don't have this problem... at least ones I've used.
    10-20-08 10:09 PM
    I think you're all missing the point here. Everyone was sold on this device by RIM/VZW that the screen technology was going to be revolutionary and awesome. Yeah, awesome on how it flexes. How do you miss this during development? Obviously the answer is... PLASTIC SCREEN. Heck, other touchscreen phones don't have this problem... at least ones I've used.
    Keep in mind those videos were likely done using pre-release hardware. I would wait for the final production devices to see if its an issue or not. No point in getting all worried about it yet.
    10-20-08 10:13 PM
    oh man, the blue made it look like it was just a "glow" that i thought followed your finger, but now that i see those other pressure smudges... man... it would bother me pretty badly...
    10-20-08 10:18 PM
    Now that you pointed it out that would totally bother me. Does any other touch screen (i.e. iPhone) do this??
    10-20-08 10:20 PM
    If the screen is glass then it couldnt really flex like that from a soft touch. My guess it is something to do with the software and not the hardware.
    10-20-08 10:23 PM
    Doesn't bother me one bit, unless of course the flex and distortion of the screen has lasting effects after a while.
    10-20-08 10:24 PM
    I figured if it was a big issue, reputable sites like cnet, engadget, gizmodo, etc. would bring this issue up though.
    10-20-08 10:27 PM
    Now that you pointed it out that would totally bother me. Does any other touch screen (i.e. iPhone) do this??
    iPhone doesn't, but yes others do. If the screen on a touchscreen is plastic it will most likely do this.
    10-20-08 10:28 PM
    Huh. That's odd. I actually thought that this was a feature of the phone. I posted this in hofo. If it is actually a feature, then I think it is beneficial. It is a visual cue that you are actually clicking the screen, much like the blue halo, but in response to a click.

For example, on the google text field, it lets you know that you've clicked the text field. I could be 100% wrong -- but that's what I thought it was.
    10-20-08 10:31 PM
    I did notice it when I saw the videos. The one where they type down near the keyboard and it discolors far away up top caught my eye the most. I'm hoping that it's either worked out or has no lasting effects. Just have to weigh all the pluses and minuses when it lands. Things like this do tend to bother me but we'll see. I do not think there is anywhere near a perfect phone feature wise. They all seem to have issues and very tediously long rollouts.
    10-20-08 10:32 PM
    That is pretty bothersome, however I am willing to bet this is an older model used in the video.

If I remember correctly a month and a half or so ago there were reports that touching the screen would make a discoloration when pressed (like in the video), but that they were working on fixing the problem.
    10-20-08 10:41 PM
    Damn that's a shame. It doesn't look that bad though. I'm coming from a Samsung SCH-i760 which had a really soft screen and discolored much more frequently and intensely than that. It was also a touchscreen so it's very common to see it when you're pressing the screen with the stylus all the time.

Sorry to bring up the iphone again but it doesn't do that (from what I remember). Still, other features like the clicking screen sounds better than the iphone anways heh. I'm really excited for this phone! Those videos really impressed me.

I htink this is because the iphone uses heat sensitivity on a glass screen. I just hope i can type fast on it.
    10-20-08 10:44 PM
    I like how people use the "its not final" excuse for everything. That doesn't apply here. They will not go back to the drawing board at this point and redesign the screen or materials used. That would be a major delay.
    10-20-08 10:44 PM
    OK, if the screen is made of glass and glass DOESN'T flex, HOW CAN THIS BE !?!?! If the final model of the Storm does this, it's a deal breaker for me. Repeated pressure causing discoloration over time is CERTAIN to kill screen pixels !!
    10-20-08 10:47 PM
    Here's what I don't understand.
    Every hands on review that has appeared online (that I've read) has claimed that the touchscreen was the best feature of the phone. I don't recall anyone saying, "Oh, I liked the screen, but I was really thrown off by the discoloration when I clicked." If every big website has given the screen a passing grade, who are we to watch a video and say that the screen is bad. Pick up the phone. Try it out. And if you don't like what you see, don't get it. Simple.
    But for now, I'm going to listen to the people who have gotten the chance to try the phone out. And then I'm going to try the phone as well. If a discoloration on the edge of the screen is the worst of the phone's problems, I'll be buying one.
    10-20-08 10:48 PM
    Huh. That's odd. I actually thought that this was a feature of the phone. I posted this in hofo. If it is actually a feature, then I think it is beneficial. It is a visual cue that you are actually clicking the screen, much like the blue halo, but in response to a click.

For example, on the google text field, it lets you know that you've clicked the text field. I could be 100% wrong -- but that's what I thought it was.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, I'm sorry, was that out loud?

Seriously, this is not a feature. Do you think it's a feature of your laptop LCD screen to discolor as well when you press it? Perhaps it's to let you know that you're pressing something that you shouldn't be and causing damage...

I'm sorry if this post makes you feel bad, but you didn't honestly believe I would let you get away with such a viewpoint... did you?
    10-20-08 10:49 PM
220 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD