I have had several replacments and when i got the first 2 they had great bright displays and the 3 others i have had and current have a darker look. I went to a Store and looked at the display models and they were really bright and the sales person advised they were the originals and had .65 before upgrading them and they got them a few days before release. The current one i have is definly darker/ Less Bright. I Went there for them to replace my phone and when i did that they compared it to the new one out of box, to my amazment it was dark. So how bright is your Display.????
    01-02-09 10:56 AM
    I also went to verizon today to get a replacement and my screen color was so much brighter than this one. I noticed when I click options it goes bright white with text of course to like an off white slash yellow?All with in a split second. I am not happy. I hope I can get one with the screen brightness I had.
    01-02-09 09:48 PM
    Make sure that the option for Auto Screen Brightness is on or off depending on your preference. This option changes how bright your screen is depending on how the light conditions are where you are using your phone.
    01-02-09 09:53 PM
    How do you change the auto screen brightness? It isn't under option-->keyboard/screen
    04-19-09 09:58 AM
    How do you change the auto screen brightness? It isn't under option-->keyboard/screen
    Yes. I have mine set at 60 because yu really dont need it as bright as it gets. and it saves battery life.
    04-19-09 10:13 AM
    You can't really change the screen from auto adjusting to light but you can do other things. You can turn off the auto dim backlight features so that your device's screen goes off after the timeout period instead of slowly dimming until it is completely off. Also try changing your brightness to a lower settings, I have mine set to 10 which is plenty bright enough to use the device since the auto brightness adjust will make my screen brighter when it is darker and darker when it is brighter out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 10:34 AM
    You can't really change the screen from auto adjusting to light but you can do other things. You can turn off the auto dim backlight features so that your device's screen goes off after the timeout period instead of slowly dimming until it is completely off. Also try changing your brightness to a lower settings, I have mine set to 10 which is plenty bright enough to use the device since the auto brightness adjust will make my screen brighter when it is darker and darker when it is brighter out.

It is my understanding that "automatically dim backlight" IS intended to be for the adjustment based on lighting in the room, but that turning it to "off" sometimes doesn't work. The screen fades out the same way under both settings. I might be crazy though.
    04-19-09 11:02 AM
    It is my understanding that "automatically dim backlight" IS intended to be for the adjustment based on lighting in the room, but that turning it to "off" sometimes doesn't work. The screen fades out the same way under both settings. I might be crazy though.
    That's what the auto dim does but it seems that it still works slightly even if you set it to off. I've had my auto dim set to off for the last 4 months and it still adjusts according to light. If I'm in a brightly lit room the screen will dim but if I walk into a completely dark room, the screen gets very bright (almost like a 40 or 50 setting on the brightness). The only difference is that if you have the setting to on it will do it almost instantly instead of progressively.

04-19-09 11:25 AM
    "If I'm in a brightly lit room the screen will dim but if I walk into a completely dark room, the screen gets very bright (almost like a 40 or 50 setting on the brightness)"

Mine works the complete opposite. If I'm outside it gets brighter to counteract the intensity of the sun and in a darker environment it dims as not to cause night blindness.
    04-19-09 01:46 PM
    ya its supposed to get brighter in bright ambient light conditions if it didn't you would not be able to read the screen.
    04-19-09 02:41 PM
    In the following video, you can see a clear difference between the brightness of my screen on the right and my wife's screen on the left. The themes, firmware, and screen brightness settings are identical, and since I was in a dark room, I made sure the auto dim on both devices was turned off and the screens were as bright as they could be... sucks for me! I had to get a replacement a few months back, I am guessing I was unlucky!

Any definitive reason for the difference in screen brightness?

Video Here:
    10-30-09 11:57 PM
    Yea there seems to be a whole lot of confusion about this issue and trust me what we are experiencing is not normal obviously I've had my storm for months not a couple hours. The auto dim sensor worked perfectly fine before I updated to the .328 it wpuld dim to an acceptable dim brightness and outside would light just abit brighter to make it possible to see screen. But after the update its seem on my phone that it dims whenever outside in direct arizona sun, or in a dark room but it dims like to a darkness that is just impossoble to keep your eyes on the screem without hurting ur eyes. I have messed with settings to like the max combinations haha and no result.

Now I called verizon and rep asked if I had my sd card in phone when I updated os, I said yes shhe told me there has been an issue with leaving sd card in phone so now I have to go back older op and redownload 5.0 and reinstall which is fine I just don't know how any help.

10-31-09 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD