Hi,

First, I have done a search, I realize this topic has been discussed, but I still need help. This is my first BB and I am still in the process of learning....especially when using the DM...so keep that in mind, please.

Here is my problem:

I went into media ringtones and deleted (with success) some ringtones I had downloaded.
    When I go to sounds - "set ringtones", those deleted ringtones are still listed.
    Is there an easy way to fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Carol
    01-24-09 08:32 PM
    Battery pull
    01-24-09 08:35 PM
    Thanks, I tried....Battery pull does not solve the problem.
    01-24-09 08:41 PM
    Yet battery pull will fix most of your problem instantly.
    01-24-09 08:42 PM
    I've done numerous battery pulls...the ringtones remain in the sounds section, but not in media section.
    01-24-09 08:50 PM
    No..battery pull isnt the fix all. There is no way for a battery pull to delete lines of code from a file.
    In this case, you need to plug it into your USB port on the computer, explore to your ringtones folder on the SD card and delete the BBThumbs.dat file. The storm will create a new one with only the contents of the current ringtones listed. You MAY need a battery pull AFTER you delete the file I specified.
    01-25-09 06:30 AM
    No..battery pull isnt the fix all. There is no way for a battery pull to delete lines of code from a file.
    In this case, you need to plug it into your USB port on the computer, explore to your ringtones folder on the SD card and delete the BBThumbs.dat file. The storm will create a new one with only the contents of the current ringtones listed. You MAY need a battery pull AFTER you delete the file I specified.
    +1. This has always worked for me for removing ghost listings of files/ringtones.
    01-25-09 09:02 AM
    explore to your ringtones folder on the SD card and delete the BBThumbs.dat file.

Ok, embarassingly, this is the part I need help doing.

Thanks so much for your help.

Carol
    01-25-09 11:56 AM
    The first thing you need to do is enable mass storage mode on your storm. This is done by: Options> Memory> Media Card Support: ON, MTP: ON, Mas Storage Mode Support: ON, Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: ON.

Next on your computer you need to have it show all hidden files and folders. Depending on what OS you are using, there are different steps.

XP:
    Open a window, click Tools and then Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders. Finally click OK.

Vista:
    Open a window, click Organize and then Folder and Search Options. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders. Finally click OK.

Now connect the storm to the computer using the included USB cable. On your computer screen you should see two drives: Blackberry1 (device memory) and Blackberry2 (media card memory). The BBThumbs.dat files only appear where you have media on the drive.

On BB1, go to home> user> music and delete the BBThumbs.dat if it appears.Do the same for the ringtones folder.

On BB2, go to Blackberry> music and delete the BBThumbs.dat if it appears. Do the same for the ringtones folder.

Disconnect the cable after you are done. Now do a battery pull on you device. When your device reboots it will do a brand new scan for files and add the ones that appear.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 12:56 PM
    I DID IT!!!

Thank you so much for the time you took to post these easy to follow instructions. It is very much appreciated.

This is why I love Crackberry...so many nice people, like yourself, that contribute their time and knowledge to help other people.

Thanks!

Carol
    01-25-09 01:37 PM
    Thanks ArmaK. I have been looking for a fix for this very issue and found yours. I just did it and it works.

Thanks for the post!!
    01-27-09 12:36 PM
    Question??? I have deleted the preloaded sounds and they are still coming up in the list. I have tried this method but they are still there. Is there another way for the preloaded sounds?
    02-06-09 03:23 PM
    Reformat memory card and start from scratch? Obviously you would need to have the media saved on ur pc to load onto the card again to format

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 03:46 PM
    Before I go reformatting the media card. I have another tidbit of info.
    When I go to the media center. The list shows exactly what I have on the card. But, its when I go to change the sounds on the phone or contacts profiles. That I see the old preloaded ringtones still in the list.
    Doesnt this mean that it is something in the device or system memory that is causing this?
    02-07-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD