When I try to backup my device from desktop manager, progress is consistent until it attempts to backup my Messages where it causes an error, "Error backing up database(s)," and fails to create a backup. Any ideas? It has been doing this for weeks and I would really like to backup my address book because it has been seriously updated since the last backup which was over a month ago.

Thanks in advance.
    04-02-09 01:58 PM
    Clear your browser cache
    04-02-09 02:00 PM
    I think you also need to have the mass storage setting turned off. I had a similar issue and clearing my cache and turning off mass storage seemed to remedy it.
    04-02-09 02:02 PM
    So I went into Browser->Options->Cache Operations and cleared everything. Then I turned off mass storage mode. When I went to backup the data in desktop manager, it said that the device must be in mass storage model to perform this action, do you want to activate mass storage mode? I said yes and then it still cause an error when backing up my messages.
    04-02-09 02:32 PM
    I then tried this again clicking "No" when it asked me if I wanted to active mass storage mode and it attempted to back it up anyway and I received the same error.
    04-02-09 02:35 PM
    Same problem here. Also gives error message when backing up messages.
    I cleared browser cache, tried backing up with both mass storage turned on and off, deleted messages with "x" in front, but no success so far.
    Strange, because I've never had any problems with back ups so far. Always did need to clear browser cache, but apparently that doesn't solve the problem this time.
    04-02-09 02:39 PM
    What I resorted to this time was solely backing up the address book, but I do not consider that an acceptable solution for the long term. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
    04-02-09 02:45 PM
    i keep my mass storage mode on, and in order to make a backup i must clear the cache..leave mass storage on and try
    04-02-09 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the help, but I'm afraid if I read cpels7's messages above correctly, both of us have tried that. Unfortunately without much success.
    04-02-09 05:11 PM
    In addition to clearing the cache on the phone also do it in DM

Backup/Restore>Advanced Then clear Browser data cache and try again.

If that does not work then back up from the Advanced tab. Do about 5 or 10 items at a time until you get the error, then try tose specific items until you find the bugger causing the trouble. Clear that item and you should be able to do the full backup.
    04-02-09 05:53 PM
    I cleared the browser cache in DM, and then was able to successfully back up my Storm. Clearing the browser cache on the phone didn't resolve the backup error.
    04-02-09 10:12 PM
    I always clear the browser cache in DM and this time, to be sure I did both DM and phone. I also tried the advanced backup and the problem is with my messages. Problem is I've got over 300 of them and I'd rather not delete them all.
    Hmm, thinking of it, I've only looked at my emails for strange items (like the ones with an "x" in front). I haven't looked at IM messages yet. Will try that and see if that helps any.

Edit: Unfortunately, that isn't it either. Deleted all my IM messages, but it still gives the error message.
    Last edited by Hmtsjmftsch; 04-02-09 at 10:39 PM.
    04-02-09 10:26 PM
    i had the same problem backing up, cleared browser via DM and worked like a charm.. woo wee
    04-05-09 11:21 PM
    Thanks for the help! Clearing the DM cache worked perfectly!
    04-10-09 06:59 PM
    i had the same problem backing up, cleared browser via DM and worked like a charm.. woo wee
    I'm not in front of my DM, so this might be a stupid question, but how do I clear cache in DM. I know how to do it on the phone, but I'm still getting the error when I backup that way.

BTW for anyone still having problems, install smrtguard beta, it backs up OTA and hasn't been causing any problems for me...backs up my phone daily.
    04-10-09 10:07 PM
    I've also had problems doing a backup - keep getting the error message when the browser data cache section came up. You need to clear it out of DM.

To clear browser cache from DM:
    From DM, go to "backup and restore"
    click "advanced"
    After programs load, scroll down to "browser data cache"
    Highlight that and click "clear"

Backup worked for me after that
    04-14-09 08:56 AM
    I seem to be having more problems than usual backing up in preparation for .122

I've tried clearing browser cache in both DM and on my device itself. I've rebooted my computer and phone. I'm consistently getting the 'error backing up data' message.

On the phone itself I've been clearing the browser cache, history etc. Anyone have any other suggestions? I've searched for any options I can find, but none of them have worked this go round.
    04-16-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD