Hey There all

A friend of mine is Blackberry shopping and he has mentioned he's very interested in the Storm. I, personally, don't know anyone who owns one so I'm turning to you guys!

I've heard about all the issues when it was first launched but I am now hearing from reps in the store that they have been resolved with the OS updates.

So.... you guys out there that have stuck with the storm... or just recently got it. How do you feel about it. Would you recommend it to someone? What's the good and the bad about it!

Thanks in advance folks!
    Much appretiated!
    09-28-09 04:56 PM
    Since Storm 2 is coming out in the next couple of months I would suggest that your friend waits. At the very least he will pay less for the storm 1 if thats what he decides on.

As for the storm itself, it is a really good device. Some people have had bad luck and had to replace their phone because of hardware issues. Not really a big deal if its under warranty. Some people have said that they have had to replace their phone because of software issues, which probably means they messed something up themselves.

Ive had mine since December and I am very happy with it. I use it for business and have not had any problems with it that couldn't be solved in this forum. A lot of people have dumped on the phone because they thought it would give the iphone a run for its money. However, RIMs intention was never to duplicate the iphone. They simply made a blackberry that functioned without a keyboard. Nothing less, nothing more.

Great device but i would wait for the Storm 2. It will be even better.
    09-28-09 05:04 PM
    i would get the storm one, the 2 is going to be full of bugs until probly 6 months from date.thats rims trademark. plus he wont have a pricetag of 4 hundred or whatever its gonna be,i say storm one. i love mine,with upgraded and leaked os.cant go wrong. price is good right now.
    09-28-09 05:11 PM
    I WAS happy with my storm

but with the 5.0 leaks we've been getting, I love it! .230 is amazing. Everything is much more smooth and the look of the OS as a whole seems much more cohesive (alarm settings, check boxes and buttons, etc)

It's really a love or hate thing with most people. I'd tell your friend to try it a bit in the store, if they're diggin it, do the 30 day thing, and if it's not what they thought, they can return it and get something else
    09-28-09 05:28 PM
    i say go for a storm 1 as well, but wait until storm 2 is released as the prices for storm 1 at this time will fall nicely!
    09-28-09 05:33 PM
    storm 2....its is not going to be buggy like S1 is. and it will be out in less than a month supposedly.
    09-28-09 05:55 PM
    Not always thrilled with my storm 1. The phone is sluggish often (like right now, the phone can't keep up with my typing on the mobile crackberry site). Other than that, the screen click mechanism was poorly conceived, having one button in the middle of the screen led to corner click issues for many people. I'm hopeful, however, that new storm 2 hardware and the 5.0 OS will fix the issues storm 1 has.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 05:57 PM
    The Storm is as amazing as it is frustrating. I'm thinking the first full 5.0 OS with app support and the frustration will evaporate. Sorry, but .230, as promising as it is, ain't it, too many glitches and not enough app support.

That being said, I'm having a lot of fun with mine and as a business phone, and I'm self employed and the storm is my main business phone, it's good enough to get the job done. It's not as good a business device as the Treo 700p I gave up for the Storm, but neither, IMO, are any of the other BB's. The calendar and contact handling of the Treo is far superior. But I ain't going back.
    09-28-09 06:22 PM
    I have had my own frustration with the Storm. But since I have loaded 4.7.0.167 it has been like a new phone!
    09-28-09 09:09 PM
    i really like it and have no problems with it from the beginning.
    09-28-09 09:10 PM
    LOVE mine so much I'm getting a 2nd one off eBay as a backup.
    09-28-09 09:16 PM
    Got my Storm just five days ago and am totally happy with it. My first BlackBerry was an 8130 Pearl acquired almost exactly a year ago. In the meantime Verizon acquired Alltel, the Storm was released as a half-baked device just before Christmas, Verizon got a good, stable OS out there for the Storm, the price of the device for upgraders dropped to 50 bucks, and I became eligible for an upgrade. Moving from a Pearl to the Storm for just 50 bucks was a no-brainer.

I've read a lot of negative stuff about using the Storm but, frankly, I haven't encountered any of it...yet. I have no difficulty using the clicking touchscreen...but then, I don't have Ball Park franks for fingers, either. The device is well-built and solid--feels expensive, looks expensive and is a professional-looking phone.

Yes, I probably could have waited for Storm 2, but then I'd be looking at (at least) $200 to upgrade to that device. It might be worth $150 more than my Storm, it might not. But what matters is now, and I'm happy with what I have now.

Oh, and if your friend is just starting out, the Storm is free with a two-year agreement...at least from Verizon. Definitely worth a flyer.
    09-28-09 10:16 PM
    Ok so I have heard and read a lot of bad stuff about the storm on these sites. I have had mine since release day. I have never had an issue. I have never returned it. I am still on original. I have run every leaked OS and currently running the latest leak. The storm 2 is supposed to have an OCT. Release date so personally I would wait. The storm 1 is free with 2 year agreement and I believe they are still BOGO through VZW...now keep in mind you can get any second device of equal or lesser value. So really all I can say is go into your local VZW store and play with one. Your friend will not be disappointed.

09-28-09 10:53 PM
    The Storm on the more recent OS versions made major improvements to the phone. The phone is completely a solid phone. The Storm was not a good phone on the original OS release. The Storm 2 is probably what you want to target at this point.
    09-28-09 11:09 PM
    I love my Storm and would def recommend it to a friend. It may have gotten a bad rep from when its launched, but with the new OS5.0 leaks this phone has been flawless. I never had a problem with my storm before the upgrade, but the upgrade clearly makes this phone even better.
    09-28-09 11:13 PM
    My storm works fine.
    Had it since Mar. 17.
    Does what I need it to do, not many probs at all.
    09-28-09 11:35 PM
    I paid $187 for my Storm back in December. They're going for $50 now. I'd go for the Storm 1 rather than wait for Storm 2. The only new thing about Storm 2 is Wi-Fi - which I've never wished that I had.

The latest official OS release have solved most of the bug issues.

I love my Storm - I'm never without it.
    09-29-09 12:09 AM
    I am a happy Storm owner.
    09-29-09 02:03 AM
    I paid $187 for my Storm back in December. They're going for $50 now. I'd go for the Storm 1 rather than wait for Storm 2. The only new thing about Storm 2 is Wi-Fi - which I've never wished that I had.

The latest official OS release have solved most of the bug issues.

I love my Storm - I'm never without it.
    $50...In the U.S....garghhh....American carriers can afford to put their phones that cheap due to the number of customers (compared to Canadian)...we still got this thing at $150 and this is as low as it's going for now.

And also, for those of us not application-obsessed, memory-obsessed, and OS-obsessed, the Storm is a great phone. I've had mine for 4 months and have only had one issue, which was the phone re-booting once when I was trying to take a photo. Annoying, but only once.

As far as the Storm 2 goes, if you want to deal with "just released" issues, the usual RIM hassle, go right ahead. I will be getting the Storm 2 when it comes out for curiousity's sake, not because I actually think it will work better than my Storm 1 when it's just been released.
    09-29-09 09:22 AM
    I'm more than happy. however you are close to storm 2. Just get that.

09-29-09 09:26 AM
    The Storm was my first Blackberry I bought it in December. I bought it mainly for business but it is also my personal phone. I love it and I hate it. What I love about it unfortunately is what I would love about any Blackberry. The ability to be always connected to my email, calendar and the internet.

What I hate about it are the buggy issues, lag and freeze ups. I also HATE touch screens. I didn't realize how much I would hate a touch screen. I glad I had it since I realized that I'll never want another touch screen again.

I am upgrading to a Tour this week. I love Blackberrys but I do not like the Storm. Just my $.02 worth.

My advice, make sure you love touch screens before you get a Storm. If you hate them like I do, you will count down the days before you can upgrade again.
    09-29-09 09:55 AM
    I love my Storm. Had it since Nov. 08
    09-29-09 09:58 AM
    i say go for a storm 1 as well, but wait until storm 2 is released as the prices for storm 1 at this time will fall nicely!
    they are already down to 50 bucks for the storm 1 with 2yr contract. I'd say that's pretty dang cheap for a storm
    09-29-09 11:28 AM
    vzw rep at best buy pensacola fl yesterday at 3:00Pm had s2. looks like oct 25 is a realistic rls date of course he said this is unofficial lol
    09-29-09 11:44 AM
    I've had mine for about 5 months now $50 with new contract w/verizon - no major problems.

There is lag here and there but I do run 8 apps at once.

Memory stays above 20mgs (after using Shrink-a-os).

Battery is good, only drops fast if I'm streaming music or using the GSP or Bluetooth a lot.

I do run the default theme. (My girlfriend has the same phone WITH themes and it runs slow, and does lock up from time to time, but that could also have something to do with the apps loaded) Mines only locked up twice since I've owed it.

I do have a scheduled restart every night.

This is the nicest phone I've ever had, and I've had time to play with a 3GS. The storm 2 looks nice but like many have said above there will be bugs, getting a 9530 and just upgrading the OS would be a better option in my opinion, and you get to learn a lot about the phone too.

The build is real nice, but I promptly bought a otter box defender case - its too nice of a phone to get scratched up in my pocket :P

Hope this helps!
    09-29-09 11:51 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD