View Poll Results: Do you use your BB Storm as your primary MP3 player?

Voters
482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do use my BB Storm as my primary MP3 player.

342 70.95%
  • No, I use another device as my primary MP3 player.

140 29.05%
    Just wondering how many people use their storms to replace their iPod's or other MP3 players.
    What are you findings on SQ and Battery Life compared to the iPod?

Thanks.
    12-18-08 05:33 PM
    its working fine as an MP3 player for me. Battery life isn't great, but I have chargers at work, in my car, and at home.
    12-18-08 05:35 PM
    It's my primary mp3 player, and i love it as one too. At work i'll play it and then when i get in the car, i hook it up to the auxilary jack. and the good thing is unlike some phones when you use it as an mp3 player in the car, you can still charge the phone while playing. Not a big deal, but every little point toward the storm counts.
    12-18-08 05:40 PM
    Nice, any comments towards SQ in comparison to the iPod, because obviously the iPod is a nice device, but really has problems with SQ.

Note: SQ is not the same as the bitrate of a song. The better cans you get, the more you can differentiate. iPod is whacky with expensive cans.
    12-18-08 05:44 PM
    Its working great for me as a Player. Battery life is great and I use it all the time for not only MP3s but for videos too. I can usually go the whole day before a charge is needed depending on my data usage for the day. I've never owned iPods but have extensively used friends pods. I honestly think the Storm is better quality. I just wish for two things. A customizable EQ and that the volume would have smaller increments in adjustment. It only has about 6 I believe.
    12-18-08 05:45 PM
    for those of you that DO use the Storm as a primary mp3 player....

try plugging it into the wall charger and play music while its charging. notice anything funny? is epilepsy the first word that comes to mind?

secondly, while playing music, press the red button. shouldn't this cancel the music app and go to the menu? it doesn't. it goes to the menu and continues playing the music. have to go back into the music program and physically end it. can't use the hard buttons to control the stoppage of the music. dont like that one.
    12-18-08 05:48 PM
    I've got a large library of music and I transferred everything to my Storm from my Zune (although had to remove DRM from half my library). I got a Parrot MK6100 system that runs over my speakers. Start my truck the storm automatically pairs with Parrot and play via bluetooth....love it!! Got 14gb of music on a 16gb micro sd.
    12-18-08 05:55 PM

try plugging it into the wall charger and play music while its charging. notice anything funny? is epilepsy the first word that comes to mind?

secondly, while playing music, press the red button. shouldn't this cancel the music app and go to the menu? it doesn't. it goes to the menu and continues playing the music. have to go back into the music program and physically end it. can't use the hard buttons to control the stoppage of the music. dont like that one.
    Yes you can. Just another thing to learn about BBs. Its how they work. If you press the red end key on ANY program it'll just push it to the background. To close completely you can do one of two things. Either HOLD the back key until close, about a second..or..BB menu - Exit. BB is flexibility, gotta love it.
    Last edited by cocruxified; 12-18-08 at 06:02 PM.
    12-18-08 05:58 PM
    I do like the call/message interrupt. I plug it into the stereo at work and blast some tunes while I tune (skis and snowboards), and I always know when I am getting a call because the music just stops! sometimes it's funny.
    12-18-08 05:59 PM
    I do like the call/message interrupt. I plug it into the stereo at work and blast some tunes while I tune (skis and snowboards), and I always know when I am getting a call because the music just stops! sometimes it's funny.
    Yeah, that is pretty funny. The option to turn that off would be nice, I agree. Though I would hate to miss that one important phone call.
    12-18-08 06:00 PM

if you want to stop music, the mute key on the top right will do that for you. i have said this on another thread. just an FYI if you guys didnt know this already. you can change tracks by pressing and holding the volume button. volume up is next track and volume down is previous track. this even works with the screen being locked. which is wonderful for me when i have my storm in my pocket knowing nothing will open by accident and allowing me to change tracks on the fly rather than taking it out and clicking the screen.
    12-18-08 06:08 PM

1. Its called multitasking, this way your music can play while you can do other stuff and like it was said, no program on a bb closes using the end button it just minimizes it.

2. If you need the music to stop just hit the top right shoulder button (not lock, the other one). It acts as the pause/play button so theres your hard button to "control the stoppage of the music".

Please learn to use the device you own before trying to trash it.

EDIT: looks like i was beaten too it :P
    Last edited by InspecterJones; 12-18-08 at 06:22 PM.
    12-18-08 06:08 PM
    I use it a LOT more than I thought I would, but my 80 Gig iPod Classic will never be replaced by my phone. Even if it had 80 Gigs of storage it wouldn't convince me...the iPod just has far superior sound quality and a much nicer interface.

One thing funny to note though is that ever since I got the Storm whenever I pick up the iPod I try controlling it from the screen.
    12-18-08 06:11 PM
    So can i use mp3s as "ringtones"?
    12-18-08 06:11 PM
    So can i use mp3s as "ringtones"?
    Yes. Just menu the song you want and click the 'set as ring tone' option. Just make sure you have the SD card in if you want it to work. Unless you put it on the internal memory. Which is what you should do.

Know that doing this just changes the DEFAULT ring tone. Just assign ring tones to specific contacts you'll have to go to the contact in your address book and edit it directly.
    Last edited by cocruxified; 12-18-08 at 06:16 PM.
    12-18-08 06:14 PM
    I use my iphone as my ipod, I use it to scrobble my songs to my last.fm account
    12-18-08 06:22 PM
    One thing that irritated me a bit, but its understandable, is that I cant save positions within a music file. I listen to a lot o podcasts and in order to be pause and be able to go back I have to just leave the music open the entire time. Would be nice if I could save a spot and go back.
    12-18-08 06:24 PM
    One thing that irritated me a bit, but its understandable, is that I cant save positions within a music file. I listen to a lot o podcasts and in order to be pause and be able to go back I have to just leave the music open the entire time. Would be nice if I could save a spot and go back.
    Could you do this on any other device? Just a question. I'm not a podcast listener.
    12-18-08 06:30 PM
    I use my storm as my primary mp3 player now. Cuts down on bulk of what I carry. I need something bigger than an 8gig card. Would love to find a nice 32gig card, but the 8gigger will do for now.

It does cut down on battery life so you need to keep a charger handy.

I also like how the mp3 player can be put in the background and some of the features are still usable through various buttons and shortcuts.

I wish there were some better streaming options like pandora for the blackberry. I would even pay for the app that can stream pandora radio.
    12-18-08 06:31 PM
    I wish this was something that was possible. But I never used this functionality since i am not a podcast listener and I have few mp3 tracks that are over an hour long of some live mixes.
    12-18-08 06:32 PM
    To my ears, the Storm seems to compress the audio. I have the volume all way up to feed a strong enough signal into the FM modulator in my car. I notice the pumping of the levels on all music at various bitrates.

I also notice this through multiple headphones so I don't think it is any equipment I am feeding with the Storm.

The bad doesn't outweigh the good though, and I love having it available to me. I also love the fact that it was designed to have basic controls available to use without turning on the display. Try changing tracks on an iPhone or Touch without turning the display on. I don't think it can be done.
    12-18-08 06:38 PM
    I love using it as an mp3 player and whenever someone calls or i get a message, the music cuts off to let you know and it plays the ringer. Battery is pretty good, it should last you somewhere from 10-14 hours depending on how you use it. I listen to music and text at the same time even sometimes go online with it and it still gets more than 9+ hours. But yes, if your a power user i would recommend to have a spare battery somewhere.
    12-18-08 06:41 PM
    cost's half as much as an ipod touch and can do twice as much, respectively.
    12-18-08 06:41 PM
    I still use my 80gb ipod for music, I couldn't put half of my collection on a 32gb SD card. Also, the internal amp on the ipod is better than the storm. Maybe if I pick up a small pocket amp I might use the storm more, but it just doesn't push my Grado's properly.
    12-18-08 06:44 PM
    1. Its called multitasking, this way your music can play while you can do other stuff and like it was said, no program on a bb closes using the end button it just minimizes it.

2. If you need the music to stop just hit the top right shoulder button (not lock, the other one). It acts as the pause/play button so theres your hard button to "control the stoppage of the music".

Please learn to use the device you own before trying to trash it.

EDIT: looks like i was beaten too it :P

im sorry, but you obviously had no clue what I was trying to say. it's NOT called multi-tasking. I want to END the music, not do other things while it's playing. Secondly, I specifically said I want to STOP the music....not MUTE the music. ...*****.

i also like how you try to make yourself sound smart by repeating what 3 other people before you have already said. if you really want to be productive instead of repeating others comments, then why don't you test out my other problem that no one has answered yet? plug in your phone to the wall charger and play music. everything flashes like you're having a seizure.
    12-18-08 06:46 PM
128 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD