Hey everyone,

Well later today (6 hours), going on a boring 10 hour roadtrip with the family.. I have a laptop and know its possible to use the storm as a modem. When I go to install the software it says that its going to cost you if you dont have the unlimited data share or whatever. I have the cheaper ($29.99) plan not the ($44.99) plan. Am I safe? And whats the difference anyways.
    03-19-09 02:23 AM
    Hey everyone,

Well later today (6 hours), going on a boring 10 hour roadtrip with the family.. I have a laptop and know its possible to use the storm as a modem. When I go to install the software it says that its going to cost you if you dont have the unlimited data share or whatever. I have the cheaper ($29.99) plan not the ($44.99) plan. Am I safe? And whats the difference anyways.
    There is adititional tethering costs. I think with that plan it's 30 a month. Maybe it's still 15. You should look into tetherberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 02:31 AM
    Bored overnight tech rep to the rescue!

The tethering plan will bring your total Data plan costs up to $60 monthly. It is the same as having data card service, but in this particular case, it also includes your Blackberry data.

On an extra note, your internet connection will temporarily pause if you receive any calls while tethering.

Personally, I'd get it *if* I were planning to use it for more than a single road trip.
    03-19-09 02:39 AM
    or get tetherberry
    03-19-09 02:41 AM
    No ones really answered my question. My question is - Is the $29.99 blackberry internet plan going to cover the charges of me using VZAcess through verizon?
    03-19-09 02:52 AM
    No ones really answered my question. My question is - Is the $29.99 blackberry internet plan going to cover the charges of me using VZAcess through verizon?
    Polychrome answered it. No. You have to pay 30 extra to tether.

Tetherberry is a nice alternative and only a one time fee but keep in mind that without the 30 extra you're limited to 5 gigs of data transfer (even though it says unlimited). So if you go over you risk having your service cut off.

Tetherberry tells you how much you've used up and down so it shouldn't be hard to monitor that and stay under the limit.

Ultimately it's up to you. Some are against tetherberry because it breaks your contract essentially....but others see it as a nice, emergency alternative.
    03-19-09 02:57 AM

Actually, you have been answered. If it is going to cost an additional $30.00 per month fot tethering (using your phone as a modem) that means that your $29.99 plan does not include using your phone as a modem. You need to read the responses you receive. 2 or 3 responses did answer your question.
    03-19-09 03:01 AM
    03-19-09 03:51 AM
    Polychrome answered it. No. You have to pay 30 extra to tether.

Ultimately it's up to you. Some are against tetherberry because it breaks your contract essentially....but others see it as a nice, emergency alternative.
    What do you mean breaking your contract
    03-19-09 04:06 AM
    It no longer breaks your contract so don't worry about it. VZW *used to* limit the way consumers used their data services. Once they introduced the no longer unlimited 5GB plan for the same price they changed the Terms and Conditions so that now you can do VoIP, streaming video, etc to your hearts content, but they will no longer send you friendly warning letters letting you know you went over your 5GB limit then disconnect your service for going over 5GBs in 3 seperate months.. so just make sure you stay within that limit.

BTW... for any limited data plan (which is all they have now), say you go over your limit, it will cost you .25 per MB so be careful.
    03-19-09 05:54 AM
    the data plans are unlimited use right?
    03-19-09 06:34 AM
    the data plans are unlimited use right?
    No unfortunately not....
    Even when they were called the "unlimited" plans they still had a hidden 5GB limit listed in the Terms and conditions but they used to let it slide unless it became a consistent issue. They then sent out warning letters and after several months of going over they could (as listed in the original Terms and Conditions) disconnect your service and if they felt like it they could also charge the ETF since the T&C's were broken. Now its advertised as 5GB limit only, so even if you have an old blackberry and your plan is the original 49.99 data plan, it is still a 5gb limit.
    03-19-09 06:41 AM
    Lol lol lol nice

03-19-09 09:42 AM
    The way the VZW rep explained it to me is that you pay $1 per day for tethering with VZW, you can have it on for 10 days and not pay for the whole month.

So if you're on vacation you could just pay for the time you're away. There is a 5GB/Month limit, but if you use that much while on vacation you have bigger problems than tethering costs.
    03-20-09 09:57 AM
    The way the VZW rep explained it to me is that you pay $1 per day for tethering with VZW, you can have it on for 10 days and not pay for the whole month.

So if you're on vacation you could just pay for the time you're away. There is a 5GB/Month limit, but if you use that much while on vacation you have bigger problems than tethering costs.
    I heard something similar from a VZW rep back in Feb. but I didn't get the gory details. She mentioned offhandedly that I could turn tethering on and off and only pay for the time (days I assume) used. This might be worth look into. Can anybody elaborate or confirm?
    03-20-09 10:16 AM

Exactly what I was going to say, I add and remove it all the time...definite PIA but better than paying for it when I'm not using it

03-20-09 10:16 AM
    ok confused, so with my 30 dollars a month im limited to 5gb of data transfer a month? Is that up and down to my blackberry? And where do i go to check how much ive used so far throughout the month???
    03-20-09 11:05 AM
    03-20-09 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD