OK, someone want to put this thing to bed once and for all on what is correct because various sites have things listed differently and I've discovered differences as well. Crucial, the phone is released, what are the exact specs on this and where does the memory come from (allocation wise)? This should not fall under your NDA because the phone is public now.

Memory: 128MB Flash Memory, 192MB RAM, 1GB On�board memory

Above is what Verizon advertises.

What I've found is that 1GB of memory is not 1GB, but rather 8xxMB or so, so 1024-192=832MB... which is damn close to what the Memory free indication is for the Internal storage. So, what's allocated from where? Is there a seperate 128MB from the 1GB for FLASH only? Is RAM separate from the internal 128MB FLASH and 1GB of storage? Or is it all the same NAND memory just allocated differently for each memory section? Which is it?

According to this pic, people are stating that the memory is all included in one NAND chip.

So, wtf is up? Is the memory all one thing and simply allocated differntly on the core firmware level of the device or what?
    12-07-08 12:34 AM
    ^^^ this is were the confusion comes in for sure..

at first I thought that some of the media that came on the device was taken up the 1gb IE the free trailer

but after completely removing it from the device the 8xx mb didn't budge NOR did the main application memory.. I do not believe there is a full 1gb of dedicated to storage..
    12-07-08 12:40 AM
    OK, did some digging and found this... SAMSUNG Semiconductor - products - Fusion Memory - MoviNAND�

According to this and to the teardown on the Bold from Phonewreck, the MoviNAND in the Bold and Storm are the same. It's a 1GB FLASH module with embedded controller for the Media Card slot. Firmware upgradable to support higher Memory Cards as well. So, it looks like RIM has complete control over how much of that 1GB is allocated to base FLASH (i.e. the 128MB we're stuck with now.)

I want to know, if this is true, why did RIM only allocate 128MB to the phone? This 128MB is also the limit on the Bold as well. Why not more? Can they allocate more with a simple OS upgrade/change? Will they do this to help us all?

I'm going out of my mind here... I want more memory allocated!!!
    12-07-08 12:47 AM
    yes I agree it seems as easy as just pulling a switch however I don't fully understand the limitation of there current code either..

I mean obviously they have made upgrades in the size but it doesn't seem logical to limit it to such a low amount..

If I could I would leave like 128 left for media storage (i don't change cards)

and the rest could just be internal memory applications and such
    12-07-08 12:52 AM
    I think the answer to your question is, yes they can change the OS to allow programs to have free reign over all the flash memory in the phone. The real question is "will they do it?" That depends on how in touch they are with their user base. I'll say this: the Storm hasn't a prayer in competing with the iPhone (like it or not, this has to be their goal) in terms of apps if 128mb is all the space they're going to give us.
    12-07-08 12:54 AM
    I would like some answers on this as well.
    12-07-08 12:58 AM
    yes I agree it seems as easy as just pulling a switch however I don't fully understand the limitation of there current code either..
    And with that comes the big clincher. The Niagra (CDMA Bold) will have 256MB of FLASH enabled on it. Supposedly it's still OS4.7.... but is it possibly OS4.7.1.x as apposed to the Storm's 4.7.0.x? Is RIM limiting memory size now because of an OS limitation or simply as a bullisht marketing scheme? Just seems like a crap thing to do, especially on the Storm.

PLEASE RIM, PLEASE OPEN UP THE MEMORY ALLOCATION ON THIS PHONE TO AT LEAST 256MB with an OS update!!! It needs it badly!
    12-07-08 12:59 AM
    Here is the sales flier for the processor that was used:
    :: DatasheetPro :: Download MSM7600 datasheet PDF download :: QUALCOMM Incorporated :: MSM7600 Chipset Solution

I'll see if I can actually find a real datasheet. Not sure if there is a full family of parts or if this is a one part wonder. But it does appear that the SRAM is in the processor.
    Last edited by bthoward; 12-07-08 at 01:06 AM.
    12-07-08 01:04 AM
    And with that comes the big clincher. The Niagra (CDMA Bold) will have 256MB of FLASH enabled on it. Supposedly it's still OS4.7.... but is it possibly OS4.7.1.x as apposed to the Storm's 4.7.0.x? Is RIM limiting memory size now because of an OS limitation or simply as a bullisht marketing scheme? Just seems like a crap thing to do, especially on the Storm.

PLEASE RIM, PLEASE OPEN UP THE MEMORY ALLOCATION ON THIS PHONE TO AT LEAST 256MB with an OS update!!! It needs it badly!

this has crossed my mind for sure.. I Personally don't think its a limitation at all.. the hardware in the device has more capability's then what the os is pushing so I am inclined to say that its a limitation that could in deed be removed.
    12-07-08 01:05 AM
    By freeing up more memory (if they do it), will this benefit us more than just being able to add more applications? Or will it be like upgrading your computer from 2GB or ram with 4GB? ie make things run a lot faster.
    Yes, to both parts.
    12-07-08 01:05 AM
    Perhaps they are working on opening it up. There could have been a bug that causes a massive leak. Maybe they are trying to work that out before release it.
    12-07-08 01:07 AM
    I personally think we're getting dik'd by RIM here on what the hardware can and cannot do. I have no doubt that they can reallocate the memory as they see fit. I think the limitation is either something they cannot overcome on the Java OS (up to this version) or something they just chose to limit to keep the devices from being REALLY GOOD. You know, give you just enough to make you buy it, but cause you to want the next model that comes out. I think that's bullisht, especially since the Storm would have benefited greatly from more memory allocation for apps and OS.
    12-07-08 01:30 AM
    yes especially with what market they were truly going after with it. Like or not this device was not aimed at the business world.. not saying that it can't be used for business.. but it was advertised as more of a media device.. getting away from there typical sales point.
    12-07-08 01:33 AM
    give you just enough to make you buy it, but cause you to want the next model that comes out.
    unfortunately, this is probably closer to the truth.
    12-07-08 01:45 AM
    possible for ppl to modify the settings in the OS to free the memory?
    12-07-08 01:52 AM
    ^^^ That is what we are trying to find out.
    12-07-08 01:56 AM
    ^^^ this is were it gets tricky.. we often delete unwanted things to open up already allocated space..

your talking about rewriting major os functions. which once done will more then likely not pass the security tests run when first booting up everytime you boot.

I could be wrong on this but in the code the memory allocation is probably intertwined all over the place not just one line of code..

I am not a current programmer but I have seen a little bit about a little bit.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-07-08 at 02:03 AM.
    12-07-08 02:00 AM
    I don't think anyone has cracked RIM's firmware.
    12-07-08 02:02 AM
    i would love for 256+ mb of mem

you think if enough people requested it that they'd give us more?
    12-07-08 02:08 AM
    my phone is more than a year old and has 128Mb for OS/applications running.

i really REALLY REALLY hope they can change it and they do.
    12-07-08 02:11 AM
    Everyone wanting this bumped to 256MB should email RIM at [email protected] asking for an allocation change from 128MB to 256MB on the Storm. While you're at it, also request they make the Mute button go to Standby when held down. (This is how other Blackberries work).
    12-07-08 09:37 AM
    Everyone wanting this bumped to 256MB should email RIM at [email protected] asking for an allocation change from 128MB to 256MB on the Storm. While you're at it, also request they make the Mute button go to Standby when held down. (This is how other Blackberries work).
    Great idea, Civ. I just did.

Now if we want a USEFUL sticky thread, there should be one for suggestions to RIM for future improvements. I love my Storm, but there are changes that would make it better.
    12-07-08 10:13 AM
    128mb for OS and applications... only way to have an app store is they some how manage to make applications less then 1mb. even 256mb is tiny for os and applications, if they're gonna introduce an app store. unless, apps can be installed in the sd card like WM (if I'm not mistaken).
    12-07-08 11:36 AM
    Now if we want a USEFUL sticky thread, there should be one for suggestions to RIM for future improvements.
    This would not survive because too many people would log posts asking for ridiculous things that are not logical or fixes to carrier limitations...
    12-07-08 11:47 AM
    Yeah, something is up with RIM on this. There's no way they'd make the hardware changes they have and not have some sort of plan for future expansion. According to everything I'm reading about the MoviNAND, it's 1GB of user selectable allocation. Something tells me that RIM has got some memory allocation limitations to deal with on the current Java OSs they have running. I think they saw the need for expansion in the near future and went with a hardware design that would allow for this when the OS supported it. As stated before, the Niagra will have the same MSM7600 chipset in it and more then likely the same MoviNAND for memory (since it's basically a CDMA Bold), but since it has 256MB allocated, something tells me the Storm might get upped on this in the near future. It is certainly something they drastically need to do. For now, I'd strongly suggest everyone keep hammering that email address with any suggestions you have to improving the Storm. Remember, for now suggest things that can actually happen to the current Storm. I know we all want the Storm 2, but it would be nice to get some of the software upgrades on the current one for now.
    12-07-08 11:49 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD