I recently got the Storm 9530, my first ever BlackBerry. Before making the purchase, I read several (positive and negative) reviews and did plenty of research, and it seemed like the BB for me. After the first few days - week of owning and getting used to it, the problems that I'd read about in the reviews started cropping up: slow or no response from keypad or screen even after touching/clicking several times, freezing, and a few other things. Things which my home computer and laptop do...the reasons why I wanted a BB/PDA with faster, easier access to business necessities. I'm still within my 30 days and would be able to switch to the Tour but with having to pay the approx $50 difference and a $30 re-stocking fee I'd nearly be spending as much as I did to get my Storm in the first place, something I'd prefer not to do and may not really be in a financial position to do so.
    I'm learning that a battery pull is needed to help keep the Storm running smoothly - is this true for other BB/PDA devices as well? A tech guy at my local Verizon store installed QuickPull so I didn't have to dismantle my entire case and phone, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
    Regardless that the Storm does have it's issues, every other person I've encountered with it doesn't really seem to have the same problems, or the extent, that I have. Did I just get a lemon? Or am I better off leaving the Storm behind and going on with the Tour?
    07-20-09 11:03 PM
    I recently got the Storm 9530, my first ever BlackBerry. Before making the purchase, I read several (positive and negative) reviews and did plenty of research, and it seemed like the BB for me. After the first few days - week of owning and getting used to it, the problems that I'd read about in the reviews started cropping up: slow or no response from keypad or screen even after touching/clicking several times, freezing, and a few other things. Things which my home computer and laptop do...the reasons why I wanted a BB/PDA with faster, easier access to business necessities. I'm still within my 30 days and would be able to switch to the Tour but with having to pay the approx $50 difference and a $30 re-stocking fee I'd nearly be spending as much as I did to get my Storm in the first place, something I'd prefer not to do and may not really be in a financial position to do so.
    I'm learning that a battery pull is needed to help keep the Storm running smoothly - is this true for other BB/PDA devices as well? A tech guy at my local Verizon store installed QuickPull so I didn't have to dismantle my entire case and phone, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
    Regardless that the Storm does have it's issues, every other person I've encountered with it doesn't really seem to have the same problems, or the extent, that I have. Did I just get a lemon? Or am I better off leaving the Storm behind and going on with the Tour?
    Check out the links in my sig for Tips and How To's. Also if you havent already, please read the BB 101 Lecture Series as there is a wealth of information there for a BB newbie and seasoned veteran alike.

I am assuming you are running OS .148? You should ditch that and go with .151 instead. Much more stable and has the best memory management to date.
    07-20-09 11:19 PM
    welcome to crackberry! and congrats on the first post! hahaha..

i know that you're new to blackberry but there are a couple things you can do to ensure your phone will work the way it should.

Quickpull is an awesome app. do you know if the rep set up a scheduled time for the app to do the "pull"? for instance, i have mine set to do a reset every day at 430 am. this helped me a lot.

another thing to make sure you get used to is fully close your apps. you can do this by hitting the bb button, then close. A shorter way to close apps is to hold the back button down. You can check open apps by holding down the bb button. there should only be 5 apps running at all times. the home screen, browser, messages, bbm, and phone.

another thing that helps is updating to .151. this may be a little out of your league, but there is a significant difference in performance compared to the .148 that comes with the phone out of the box.

Im sure i am missing plenty of other things that may help, but these should help you a bit. If none of these things work for you, try a search. there are plenty of people with pleanty of answers for you.

oh... and this http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-w-pix-242294/ tells you how to do it... thanks drift!!!
    07-20-09 11:21 PM
    +1 agreed .151 is great if your still haveing issues have them replace it. Tour is haveing issues to plus the small screen that a personal pref thing but most that got the storm I think did so for the screen. Mine works well no real issues so I would stick with it and get one that works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 11:25 PM
    Ok, great! So...how do I get the .151 update? BB Desktop Mngr and the BB website only shows the .148.
    07-21-09 12:14 AM
    There are a ton of stickies that will show you how to under the Tips & tricks section. Read there first

07-21-09 12:21 AM
    Ok, great! So...how do I get the .151 update? BB Desktop Mngr and the BB website only shows the .148.
    You can find it here in the forums. Check in the OS forum or just search it out. Remember to delete the vendor file or you can download and use Shrink-A-OS to get rid of all the preloaded junk that is not needed. If thus is your first OS update please read the his to's in detail before you begin and make sure you do a backup and 3rd party app backup, there us a difference.

Good Luck!

07-21-09 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD