For those who have it, inquiring minds would like to know?
    11-23-08 02:32 PM
    For those who have it, inquiring minds would like to know?
    Apples and Berries don't mix. The Storm will never kill the iPhone and the iPhone will never kill the Storm.
    11-23-08 02:34 PM
    no, the two don't even compare, the only thing they have in common, is they are both touch screen smart phones, its up to you to decide which ones is better once you play with both
    11-23-08 02:34 PM
    no, the two don't even compare, the only thing they have in common, is they are both touch screen smart phones, its up to you to decide which ones is better once you play with both
    Of course they compare, they are both targeted at the same market and I'm sure RIM was thinking iphone when they developed the phone. Why do you think there are so many comparisons if they don't compare.
    11-23-08 02:43 PM
    Why does it have to kill the Iphone?

The question is does it compete with the other choices...HTC, Dare, IPuke, and G1. I say yes!

It allows me to stay with my carrier and provides me with touch screen from a brand of phone that I have wanted since 2003.

I never consider owning an Iphone and have never touched one. Because of the Storm, now I can keep that streak going!!!
    11-23-08 02:46 PM
    They definitely do compare and in terms of touchscreen UI's it seems that the iPhone is still king, not to say than the Storm's a slouch. Nice first try for RIM though.

no offense.. but the Dare is... gar-bage compared to the HTC Touch/Pro/HD and G1, and I think that HTC's Touch HD has probably come to closest in giving the iPhone a run for its money. It'll be interesting to see the next gen versions of all these phones though, that'll be a serious touchscreen smart phone battle.
    Last edited by jcee81; 11-23-08 at 02:53 PM.
    11-23-08 02:49 PM
    Of course they compare, they are both targeted at the same market and I'm sure RIM was thinking iphone when they developed the phone. Why do you think there are so many comparisons if they don't compare.
    The thing is, RIM doesn't have the same mindset as Apple. Apple already has their targeted market locked in. RIM is just trying to join them. I can never see RIM beating Apple in their own game. That's why I say Apples are different than Berries. Also, the app store on the Storm wont be half as successful as Apple's app store if you have the carriers controlling it.
    11-23-08 02:49 PM
    It's not an iPhone killer. It's an iPhone alternative. Personally, I like this much better than the iPhone (assuming that the minor bugs will get fixed soon.)
    11-23-08 02:50 PM
    The two certainly are comparable and at this point no the storm is not an iPhone killer. This said, the reason it's not is because the iPhone has about 2+ years on the storm. the storm certainly has the potential to be better but at this point it's too new, too many problems, its slow, it lags, there aren't any 3rd party apps. BUT if you compare the iPhone now, and the storm 2 years from now... YES the storm could potentially be an iPhone killer.
    11-23-08 02:52 PM
    The two certainly are comparable and at this point no the storm is not an iPhone killer. This said, the reason it's not is because the iPhone has about 2+ years on the storm. the storm certainly has the potential to be better but at this point it's too new, too many problems, its slow, it lags, there aren't any 3rd party apps. BUT if you compare the iPhone now, and the storm 2 years from now... YES the storm could potentially be an iPhone killer.
    It is going to be extremely hard to "kill" the iPhone, when it is the ONLY phone Apple makes. RIM has a variety of phones, and honestly, who cares if they can't kill the iPhone, at least they most likely have a device for everyone.

And in 2 years from now, the iPhone wont be the same, and neither will the Storm most likely, so you really can't make that accusation. Technology develops too fast.
    11-23-08 03:01 PM
    Of course RIM was thinking iphone, they were also thinking, omnia, dare etc.. and whatever touchscreen phone there is out there. To answer your question about why there's so many comparisons, it's due to the fact that they are probably the top touchscreen phones out.

NFLBlitze1 is right, it's whatever you are in need for. I personally like the Storm more for the fact that I don't have to deal with the apple bs. Better coverage where I live, and it's better smartphone out of the box. I have a iPhone so I can tell you, it's a good ipod, syncs with many consumer products, and lots of apps to please you with whatever you need. But, you gotta deal with all the apple bs. lazyyboy00 has a point, the Storm will be a KILLER in 2yrs time. It's still a baby.
    11-23-08 03:10 PM
    the Storm will be a KILLER in 2yrs time. It's still a baby.
    Technically the device is a baby. It still runs off the same old BB OS. Just some UI enhancements and special features since it's a touchscreen.
    11-23-08 03:14 PM
    because there is nothing else to compare them too, they are smartphones, and they are both touch screen, they can be used for the same thing, being a phone, a multimedia player etc, but that is everything that smartphones do. they are in different classes. a blackberry is a blackberry, an iphone is a mini apple computer which happens to be a phone as well. If you want games and cool apps, and productivity tools and phones calls are at the bottom of ur list, get the iphone, if you want a solid phone that helps you organize your work day, get the blackberry.
    11-23-08 03:18 PM
    Of course RIM was thinking iphone, they were also thinking, omnia, dare etc.. and whatever touchscreen phone there is out there. To answer your question about why there's so many comparisons, it's due to the fact that they are probably the top touchscreen phones out.

NFLBlitze1 is right, it's whatever you are in need for. I personally like the Storm more for the fact that I don't have to deal with the apple bs. Better coverage where I live, and it's better smartphone out of the box. I have a iPhone so I can tell you, it's a good ipod, syncs with many consumer products, and lots of apps to please you with whatever you need. But, you gotta deal with all the apple bs. lazyyboy00 has a point, the Storm will be a KILLER in 2yrs time. It's still a baby.
    Yeah but the iphone won't remain stagnant for those 2 years.
    11-23-08 03:24 PM
    IMO the iPhone has a "killer" internet but blackberry's have internet and everything else also. The Storm has 3G internet now so I still think the BB will be "one up". I strongly believe that there are "iPhone People" and there are "Blackberry People". I have had several cell's, including 3 Curves, the 8800, the 8700, I am presently using the BOLD (the best one yet, IMO) but I am yet to receive my Storm, scheduled by FedEx for delivery tomorrow.
    I hope some or any of what I said, helps. Cheers
    11-23-08 04:19 PM
    Technically the device is a baby. It still runs off the same old BB OS. Just some UI enhancements and special features since it's a touchscreen.
    Baby? Storm was born premature, iPhone full term.
    12-18-08 12:25 AM
    Baby? Storm was born premature, iPhone full term.
    Eh....iPhone 3G was born premature as well. That's what software version 2.1 was for.
    12-18-08 12:26 AM
    IMO the iPhone has a "killer" internet but blackberry's have internet and everything else also. The Storm has 3G internet now so I still think the BB will be "one up". I strongly believe that there are "iPhone People" and there are "Blackberry People". I have had several cell's, including 3 Curves, the 8800, the 8700, I am presently using the BOLD (the best one yet, IMO) but I am yet to receive my Storm, scheduled by FedEx for delivery tomorrow.
    iPhone is like using a Mac, Storm is like using a PC running Mac emulation.
    12-18-08 12:30 AM
    both will always be here... but give the Storm 2 years and then re-evaluate how this is considered an "iphone killer"....

today... no iphone killer but iphone users are worried...

summer and beyond (2nd generation) the Storm will rule the touch screen world
    12-18-08 12:34 AM
    Just look at the memory.

The storm comes with 8gb (by a microSD) and can be upgraded to 16gb.

The iPhone comes in 8gb and 16gb models. Coincidence? I think not.

Why would RIM include an 8gb card if they weren't trying to compete with another device?
    12-18-08 12:36 AM
    Agreed. As for the specs, the storm suits my needs much more than the Iphone. The comparison shows the difference between a device centered around music, and a device centered around, well, everything. Phone Scoop comp.
    12-18-08 12:49 AM
    haha, I love how that guy said he never touched an iPhone... classic!
    12-18-08 01:38 AM
    I'm happy with my Storm, but if the Iphone was on Verizon I definitely would have chose it over the Storm. I'm hoping RIM can deliver the support and the content that makes the Iphone famous. I'm loving my Storm though.
    12-18-08 01:51 AM
    I say within the next six months, the Storm will go through much changing. Version .81? has been speculated being released on Jan. 16. Who knows how many more changes the Storm will go through. Not only that, but the app store is supposed to launch in March. I believe the success of the app store will correlate tremendously with the phone itself since this is what the Apple mainly has ahead of the Storm. Everything else can be possibly beaten by the Storm through software updates. Everyday I find more useful tips that help with the phone. Even today, I went into options, and changed my mobile network to 1XEV instead of Global since I don't really go outside of the U.S. and if I planned on it, I can always change the settings back. I noticed quite a bit of improvement just by doing that. Internet browsing speed truly feels like "3g" now, and even the sounds has improved. This little tip was not even part of the update that improved the phone significantly. Who knows where the Storm will be in the next six months. But six months is a long time in the highly competitive world of electronics. In 6 months, Apple can announce the iphone 3. or any other competitor like Nokia and Samsung and HTC that are doing very well can come out with something new also. For example, Nokia's n97 might dominate. Might not. This race to be the overall best will always continue.
    All you can say is which phone is the "best" at a certain time. (More like best for me)
    12-18-08 04:14 AM
    My Storm is not an iPhone killer. Peace Bro'. The Storm and iPhone are like chalk and cheese, and besides, my Storm much prefers doughnuts with multi-coloured sprinkles on them. He is my best friend. I call him Jumbo. He calls me Tosser. He wakes me up in the morning. I wake him sometimes late at night when I am lonely and we'll watch a movie together, or take a stroll along the beach. He says the funniest things and does some weird ****e. He's cool.
    12-18-08 04:57 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD