I live in Louisiana and it get ridiculous hot and humid. When I'm in air condition and walk outside, the phone gets damp then the screen goes haywire. It will only highlight objects on the left side of the screen no matter where I'm touching it, if it responds at all. This is the only issue I've come across with this phone. But its so aggravating when I walk outside and can't use the phone for upwards of 15 minutes. Anyone else experience this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 03:49 PM
    The problem is the glass screen is not completely sealed. That's how dust get's under it. Same with moisture. Your in an a/c environment in which the temperature inside is probably lower than the wet bulb temperature outside. The minute you step outside, moisture condenses on the cooler surface on both sides of the glass, because it's not sealed, and thus the problems with the screen. It takes 5 to 15 minutes for the phone to warm up enough for the moisture to evaporate. Over the long term, the condensation can not be good.
    Last edited by wxman2003; 06-23-09 at 05:42 PM.
    06-23-09 05:26 PM
    In in AZ and its 108 F so i agree with the humidity/moisture hypothesis
    06-23-09 05:38 PM
    i have no problems (knock on wood) with the heat so far and while in the sun, but i know the new trackpads sometimes have an issue with being in the sun and working properly.
    06-23-09 05:39 PM
    Well I love this phone but it doesn't seem to be a good south summer phone lol

06-23-09 06:01 PM
    The problem is the glass screen is not completely sealed. That's how dust get's under it. Same with moisture. Your in an a/c environment in which the temperature inside is probably lower than the wet bulb temperature outside. The minute you step outside, moisture condenses on the cooler surface on both sides of the glass, because it's not sealed, and thus the problems with the screen. It takes 5 to 15 minutes for the phone to warm up enough for the moisture to evaporate. Over the long term, the condensation can not be good.
    also, since he is in LA they are probably using a refrigerated air cooling system so on top of it being cooler inside it is taking the moisture out of the air as well...
    06-23-09 06:10 PM
    Its def the moisture...the phone will be wet. I just never saw anyone talking about it so I thought I'd post

06-23-09 06:43 PM
    Im experiencing the same thing in metro ATL. I find once i get in my truck, if i place the storm in the cup holder in front of the ac vent, the screen comes back quickly.
    06-23-09 07:14 PM
    It is definately not the heat, as I also live in Arizona and 100+ temps don't seem to have any impact on the performance. Very little humidity here, so I also support the high humidity theory.
    06-23-09 10:53 PM
    Houston Texas Dirty South here....and I think it is the humidity thing as i find my storm acting up in certain weathers....i mean it is does use a heat activated system so i wouldnt doubt that weather temperature and humidity will affect its performance
    06-23-09 10:58 PM
    Occurs in showers too if you bring it to your bathroom. High humidity and moisture causes the condensation issues thus not contacting with the responders of the touchscreen. Not exactly the greatest thing that RIM offered for a touchscreen, overall it doesn't really cause much impact, unless you just got in an emergency. Ouch.
    06-23-09 11:28 PM
    Wonder if Verizon covers this?
    06-24-09 03:57 AM
    I'm in Florida, and I've never had this problem and it's been crazy humid/rainy the last few days. Neither has my husband - he has a Storm also.
    06-24-09 09:44 AM
    I'm in Florida, and I've never had this problem and it's been crazy humid/rainy the last few days. Neither has my husband - he has a Storm also.
    That's weird. But for me when it happens its usually night time. I had someone ask me to check a football schedule on ESPN.com and I had to tell him wait till we go back inside. Not cool

06-24-09 10:33 AM
    I live in Miami and have noticed this problem is Summer gets in full swing. I'll be on my house in the a/c. And all is working perfectly, the .minute I get outside the screen stops working for a few minutes. Th humidity explanation makes total sense.

06-24-09 11:12 AM
    my girl and I both have storms, we reside in florida right on the beach with no problems from humidity , however I spilled a glass of wine on her storm and she drowned mine on the beach. both cases I removed batt,towel dried, then used a blow drier on low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, then allowing them to sit over night and both phones are fine. Also this dust fear , well it is plain B.S. . everything I have is contaminated with sand yet our phones still hold up. you would have to be in a very dirty environment(which would mean you should buy a protective case) or too childish to take care of personal equipment . One must remember this isn't a samsung flip phone . you must buy the things needed to protect your investment .Too many times I see people buy laptops and blackberry products and say "I'll get a case or accessories later". it is best to wait til you can afford it all because most accidents occur when these items are still "new" to us . take care and enjoy your toys!
    06-24-09 11:29 AM
    I take my phone with me in the bathroom when I shower and my screen never fogs up and always works

06-24-09 11:33 AM
    I'm in NJ but I have had this happen once and it was defintiely due to humidity.

I also have left the Storm in direct sunlight and it went a little haywire for a few minutes. Not a problem though because besides not working it was too hot to touch.
    06-24-09 11:37 AM
    Here's something no one has posted on this thread yet (I didn't search so forgive me) but has anyone had their Storm exposed to the direct sunlight for a period of time and then have the screen flicker? That's the most common "Summer condition" problem I have.

However I am a lot farther North then a lot of you...
    06-24-09 12:02 PM
    It is definately not the heat, as I also live in Arizona and 100+ temps don't seem to have any impact on the performance. Very little humidity here, so I also support the high humidity theory.
    thanks DJ! It is way too hot for 8AM today!
    06-24-09 12:45 PM
    Its is a humidity problem to storms with a bad seal on the screen. If the phone has a good seal you won't get dust or this problem.
    06-24-09 01:18 PM
    I take my phone with me in the bathroom when I shower and my screen never fogs up and always works

It doesn't affect mine if I take it in the bathroom when I shower either

06-24-09 02:56 PM
    Wow that's good to know. I haven't had problems yet but I also haven't been outside much. For the amount of money i put into this phone it looks like I won't be outside this summer.
    06-24-09 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD