I'm sorry to post a new thread for my 2 questions but I've been searching the forums and can't fine what I'm looking for.

First: Almost every post is about peoples' problematic storms. My 8330 is my first BB and I don't wanna buy any other kind of phone!!! It does everything so well!!! I really want the storm but it just seems like too much hassle. (But to be honest I'll pro ably end up buying it anyway. Haha) Is it really worth it?

Also I've been hearing a ton about memory leaks and no idea what you're all talking about. What exactly is it? And what causes it? Some people say they get more or less "leak" with different OS's. So what's the best OS?

Thanks you guys so much, you're always a great help!
    06-04-09 11:39 AM
    It's hard to trust the userbase here. The storm brought a LOT of people to BB that have no clue about the device (see the bajillions of "how do i enable wifi on my storm" posts)

It's not a device for everyone, and the switch from a full qwerty to the surepress can be too much for some people to bother learning.

Where other BBs have instant screen changes, the storm has transitions and fades. Was kinda clunky at .75, but as of .148 it's running pretty smoothly. Don't expect a perfect device, but it's not NEARLY as bad as some people claim it to be. ( a lot of users here seem to have a personal vendetta against the device and come back to bash it months after they have moved on for some reason)

I'd say if you enjoy touch screen devices, it's worth a shot. If you are really hooked on trackballs and physical keys, you'll probably be turned off from it.
    06-04-09 11:43 AM
    I agree with Kinggeoff. The Storm is not for everyone, the hardest thing for me was getting used to not having a physical keyboard, and being able to "feel" my way around the keyboard to know which letter I'm on.

Other than that, I have been happy with it, and .148 has been working well for me since I was finally upgraded.
    06-04-09 11:49 AM
    I love the touch screen and the picture is incredible. I leaned a ton about my Berry so I know how it works best. I'm sure it would be the same with the storm. But I now that I think about it, there a lot of people that just like to yell about their storm, haha. Thanks for the quick return. I'm on my lunch break. Haha.
    Do you know anything about leaks and stuff?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 11:51 AM
    Like you, Joe, my first Blackberry was the 8330 on Verizon. I will agree with you on the 8330 I thought I was never gonna give it up in my life.

I decided to sell my Curve the week before the Storm came out and I went out and bought the Storm the first day it came out. I HATED it. It was laggy, buggy, slow, pretty much everything you don't want in a phone. I would have done anything to get my Curve back. But I decided to stick it out and stay with the Storm. And I can say it was the BEST decision I ever made. The Storm is everything you need in a BB. The new OS (.148) makes it lightening fast, the apps perform very well on the Storm, web pages look amazing, the camera is professional grade, etc.

So to answer your question, yes it is worth it. Be sure to get the most updated software to avoid all of the problems us early Storm users had, and you will absolutely love it.

Hope this helps man and enjoy your Storm!
    06-04-09 11:54 AM
    *Cough* Tour, Atlas, 8530...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 11:56 AM
    I went from my 8830 to my Storm and I really like it, but I kept the 8830 for the couple of weeks I test drove the Storm. The camera alone is much better and honestly, as of late, the hybrids being released (like the transitions) make the Storm seem much more promising. Lots of people have felt like throwing the towel in but the advancements of these OS's give certainty that things can and will be much better for the Storm.

At least that's how I feel about it!
    06-04-09 12:13 PM
    I don't know if it's just that the Storm "isn't for everybody" as much as the touchscreen might not be.

With the current OS, I love it, so I say go for it...but some people really like having the physical buttons.
    06-04-09 12:17 PM
    I love the large display, it's good at tethering, and .148 makes it the phone I expected in the first places.

I'm a network engineer and sys admin so I set up phones at my sites touching other Blackberry models, Windows, Palm, iPhone, others etc..... It drives home that none are perfect and even though I went from a keyboard on phone now I think no thanks when I use a or set up a curve.

YMMV of course.
    06-04-09 12:43 PM
    Get it for a year, if you have the money.
    Wait until another great phone drops, beacause if your on verizon and you want a good touch phone your going to have to wait til the end of the year.

Personally its a hate love phone
    Right now im in love with my phone hahaha
    The OS is going up and it will hit 5.0
    We will see some new features but not many
    .2XX when we get up there.
    06-04-09 12:49 PM
    It's hard to trust the userbase here. The storm brought a LOT of people to BB that have no clue about the device (see the bajillions of "how do i enable wifi on my storm" posts)
    I know what you mean, A LOT of people, many of whom don't even know what Crackberry is, hate their Storm, I try to educate people that when you join the BB world, certain things about your phones change, like back ups and thinking about your phone more as a PC than a phone.
    My dad for one didn't understand why my phone was so much faster than his until I told him about leaked updates, so true BB fans know that every phone has it's ups and downs but you gotta be vocal about your concerns, I'm glad we have these forums for that.
    06-04-09 12:54 PM
    Straight out of the box, the first thing you'll need to do is upgrade to the latest official OS, 4.7.0.148(on verizon). Other than that, it is really about what you find important on your phone. Obviously, if you enjoy a physical keyboard this may not be the phone for you. As a 8830 user prior to switching to the storm, I feel it was worth the switch. I love the surepress screen and usually type in landscape mode. I type as fast as I did on my 8830's physical keyboard. Also, for me, the large screen is a must, especially for watching movies and browsing the net.
    06-04-09 01:01 PM
    Look down \/\/\/
    06-04-09 06:30 PM
    i went from the storm to the curve. the curve right now is much more stable. I have played with .148 its still not right. Stick with the curve or try something new like 8900. If you text and email alot this phone is not for you. the media player is better on the curve. the only thing is video is better on the storm. Music is superior on the curve. The os is still not there. i am glad i didnt do a leak if the phone if .148 was ther best the best that they can do. When i heard about leaks and how much better it was. they are playing you
    06-04-09 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD