Hey everyone, I'm kinda new to this site, but I have had my blackberry storm since it first came out. I have really enjoyed it so far... however, In the last 3 days it has been acting very weird. For one, it will 'freeze.' then i do a battery pull and it will sometimes freeze right when it boots up again. the times where it does not freeze, the screen is very NON responsive. by this i mean it is not scrolling up and down in my menu, it is not entering into applications when i click on them and it is not recognizing the letters i am typing in a text message. I deleted the 2 apps that i had installed right before this started happening (free tips and whippoh) but it hasn't done anything. when i plug it into my laptop through a USB it works much better, but only when it is plugged in. Idk about you, but i have my cell phone so i DONT have to be connected to a cord. one last thing about my phone, i do not have any screen protector of any form on it so for those of you who think it could be that, it isn't

If anyone would like ANY other information about my phone that they think could help feel free to ask. ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED. I have worked hard to put over 40 apps on my Storm and i really dont want to have to send it in to Verizon and start all over again. PLEASE HELP!!
    06-19-09 01:10 AM
    1) Do a backup in DM.

2) Are you using generic phone chargers?

3) Try a wipe and reinstall.

4) If all others have failed, it could be a hardware malfunction. You might need to get it replaced.
    06-19-09 01:17 AM
    I have already backed up my files in DM as of today

I use the charger that came with the phone

and what is the best way to 'wipe it clean' or restore factory defaults or whatever you want to call it

thanks
    06-19-09 01:20 AM
    Check to see how many apps you have running in the background. Also check your available memory right after boot-up.

Sounds like you may have jammed your phone with too many apps and may need to trim some fat.

Also, which OS are you running?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 01:20 AM
    I only have four apps running in the background, Home screen, phone, messages, and browser.

When i reboot it i have about 30-35 MB

i am currently running OS. 4.7.0.148
    06-19-09 01:30 AM
    I only have four apps running in the background, Home screen, phone, messages, and browser.

When i reboot it i have about 30-35 MB

i am currently running OS. 4.7.0.148
    Can you list all your 3rd party apps? Sounds like the best option would be to do a wipe using JL commander. There's a sticky for those instructions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 01:43 AM
    1. App store
    2. Berry unit converter
    3. Beyond 160
    4. Big tin can Buzz Me
    5. Vista complete
    6. Copter
    7. Flight path
    8. F my life
    9. Google maps
    10. Hangman
    11. Pandora
    12. Parking lot
    13. poynt
    14. quickpull
    15. shazam
    16. simon storm
    17. storm slider
    18. storm torch
    19. tiltris
    20. tilt to kill
    21. viigo
    22. weather eye
    23. word search
    24. You tube
    25. Blackberry app world

this is what i have left after 'trimming some of the fat' earlier today when i was trying to solve the problem on my own. besides these i have about ten more themes from the site themes4bb.com, but i have had those on my phone for months now. (i considered those themes applications because in advanced options in my options menu it lists them as applications also.)
    06-19-09 01:52 AM
    How much stuff do you have on our Media Card? Pull the card and reboot the phone. If it's quick after that, then the slowness is from Media Player indexing your card. If it's still slow, you'll need to get rid of each app and then reinstall one by one until you find the cause.... I'd start with themes or screen locking apps first.
    06-19-09 01:55 AM
    Why do you keep themes you aren't using?
    06-19-09 03:00 AM
    i think the main thing to try first would be to revert to the stock verizon theme...and see if that helps....themes are known to cause bad mem leaks...

also as Civic said, delete all apps and then restore one by one...there is a sticky about backing up 3rd party apps and then restoring them...
    06-19-09 10:12 AM
    I did everything everyone suggested here but unfortunately it still did not work correctly. I took my phone into verizon earlier today and they told me it was a complete Hardware failure and there was nothing that i could do about it. The very nice customer service rep gave me their last brand new storm that they had in the back room so i did not have to wait for it to ship. They could not even transfer my numbers to my new phone because they kept getting error messages and then it would reboot before they could put them on. Anyways i just wanted to let you all know the problem has been 'solved.' and I appreciate everyone who tried to help me

THANK YOU

Mecky
    06-19-09 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD