Just read about 2 new BB's in the works. And they are EXACTLY what I want!!!

hardware keyboard, touchscreen screen - hybrids of the Storm and Bold (Pluto) and Storm and Curve II (Magnum). Both with 3G and WiFi...

BlackBerry Magnum and Pluto - touch screen BlackBerry clarification at QuicklyBored

BGR also had a report on this little uber-BB concept.

Let's see what comes out from RIM in the next year.

I think I'm glad I returned by Storm and got a nice reliable Curve to sit tight with until these new super-candies come out!!!
    12-14-08 10:23 PM
    ...that picture is horribly done... id wait for a more reliable kind of confirmation before posting on this.. i know there is going to be 2 new blackberries, but will they look like this? i feel like its too early to know.
    12-14-08 10:30 PM
    Can't say I want a hardware keyboard and I don't need wifi. I think the bold hybrid will literally live up to the name "Magnum". Although, if RIM makes advances in the screen technology (4" 640 x 480 or something crazy like that) then yea I would be jealous. Otherwise the storm is where it is at for me.

Edit: Yea, the pic looks like someone took a 4x4 of the home screen and pasted it onto a bold. Heh. Someone on the site is saying they have seen the schematics though.
    12-14-08 10:33 PM
    Yeah horrible photoshop skills.

Look at the image on the screen. Now look at the top right and left corners. The screen actually overlaps the silver border lol.
    12-14-08 10:34 PM
    Lol. I actually find that picture really funny. The bold had sex with a storm and that's their offspring.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 10:36 PM
    This is old news. And there is more than 2 new devices coming also...

12-14-08 10:41 PM
    I agree, crappy photo-chop job. But the point is not the artistry, but the information...

The fact that RIM is really forward thinking their clickable touchscreen idea and applying it in new directions gives Apple a kick in the teeth, and I LOVE apple products!!! I think the iPhone and iTouch are brilliant and deserve the success they have acquired. but an iphone just doesn't do what a BB does.

Steve Jobs is SO stuck on not offering a real keyboard on the iPhone that I think, for maybe the first time, Apple will miss out on a next step technology because of close-minded-ness (I know, that's not a real word). Let Apple come out with a laptop with a keyboard and a clickable touchscreen - no need for mouse, fingerpad, rollerball, etc. They would have a home run!

A hybrid clickable touchscreen with a hardware keyboard is an obvious and logical next step for RIM. No need to rotate from portrait to landscape, no need for the accelerometer for true business users. Just a solidly improved user interface with all of the benefits long time BB users have come to love!!!

GIVE ME MY MAGNUM (or PLUTO) !!!!

I'm going to buy some RIM stock! :-)
    12-14-08 10:43 PM

I hope the magnum is as handsome as this magnum.

12-14-08 10:49 PM
    Personally, I don't see the point of a device like that.

IMO, a touchscreen is a step down in usability. The ONLY reason to go with a touchscreen is if your screen is too big to fit in other input methods. It is slower and less accurate... I think the Storm would have been a much better device if the track ball had been left in tact.

A Bold/Curve with a touchscreen and losing the trackball is pure fail IMO.
    12-14-08 11:07 PM
    I am waiting for a storm update thats sealed and has multiple buttons under the screen (less hardware limitations). With rim pushing in to the consumer market. I see their platform for touch phones only getting better.
    12-14-08 11:09 PM
    these sound sweet. i think i would be all over one of these.

now with verizon, if i just signed a 2 year contract on my storm, using my ne2, when can i upgrade with another 2 year contact agreement?

do i have to wait for the 2 years are up before i can buy another phone at promotional price?

i think i heard you can extend your contact for 2 more years after 12 months into a 2 year contract and get a phone at the promotional price (but no ne2 of course)
    12-14-08 11:19 PM
    yea, i def. don't like that "magnum" phone, i would much rather stick with the storm, i don't see the point in having half the phone be touchscreen, and half not, it's either all or nothin. and then if you stick an accelerometer in it, you can't use the keyboard...
    12-14-08 11:28 PM
    Personally, I don't see the point of a device like that.

IMO, a touchscreen is a step down in usability. The ONLY reason to go with a touchscreen is if your screen is too big to fit in other input methods. It is slower and less accurate... I think the Storm would have been a much better device if the track ball had been left in tact.

A Bold/Curve with a touchscreen and losing the trackball is pure fail IMO.
    If a touchscreen UI is done well, it can be quite a bit faster, but by and large most attempts have been marred by trying to keep to something resembling what people are already accustomed to.

Just think about some of the aspects in which the Storm is much faster. You want to select some email that's a good ways down the list. Instead of having to scroll to it, you select it with your finger. Want to launch some app that's at the bottom of the screen? You hit it with your finger instead of scrolling to it.

I know it's unlikely to ever happen, or at least not any time soon, but I'd love to see RIM design an OS for the Storm that is built from the ground up around SurePress. That would be a truly amazing device IMO. Obviously it would also be very time consuming and expensive, so it won't be happening any time soon but it would be nice. Given what RIM did with the Storm, and marrying the old BB UI with a touchscreen interface, I think they could very well give the world an idea of just what a touchscreen could do.

Ultimately though, I don't see touch screens going anywhere. If anything, I see them becoming more and more common. Fewer moving parts to break or wear out, production costs are probably less since there are fewer parts that need to be assembled, and it makes a number of things possible. Imagine being able to actually sign your name to an email or document using a special stylus. And once flexible displays are perfected, you will be able to literally roll your phone up or fold it like a newspaper. A touch interface just opens up a number of possibilities that you don't have with a hardware keyboard. It really is more than just a novelty thing. At least if it's done right.

But since it's unlikely to be going anywhere, and hardware keyboards are likely on their way out... You will either want to get used to the idea of an all touch interface or start saving money now so you can stock up on the last model to have a hardware keyboard when that fateful day comes.
    12-14-08 11:31 PM
    i wouldnt mind a hybrid Curve but with a regular capacitive touchscreen that is sealed and not "clicky" like the storm. I really think stuff getting under the glass and screen could become a long term issue. so something with a sealed screen would be best for the future.
    12-14-08 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD