My (4th) Storm seemed to be working fine. I've had it a week now. Suddenly today, the dissolves have slowed down dramatically, and the little arm dial comes on showing me that it's working quite a bit..

All i did was add 1 theme, quicklaunch, and a couple other apps, and launchers. That was pretty much it. My memory is in the high 30s.

If adding adding a few things slows it down THIS much (if that's what caused it), what's going to happen when the app store opens, and I want to get ever more apps??

An ideas? The very slow dissolves between screens is annoying.
    03-09-09 11:31 PM
    its prob an app or a theme making it that slow... not cuz u have too many apps
    03-09-09 11:32 PM
    4th? I like my 11/21 original but I would stop after the second return.
    I also have removed apps. It'll never be able to use the app store at his pace.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 11:40 PM
    All the apps are off except quicklaunch
    03-09-09 11:41 PM
    What apps? I thought weatherbug was great until I realised that it might have been making my phone hang when locking and unlocking it. I took it off and it seems to be close to how fast it used to be.
    03-09-09 11:47 PM
    All i have is capture it, facecall, quicklaunch, and a couple launchers. I think that's it. Only app on is quicklaunch...

All I know is this worries me.. with only 128mbs dedicated to apps, can this phone handle much?? Just wondering...
    03-10-09 12:06 AM
    128 megs is quite a bit considering most apps are less than 1 Meg.

03-10-09 12:16 AM
    All the apps are off except quicklaunch
    My BB timer started around the time I updated to .103/.106H but at the same time that was also when I had to update Bolt and had trouble so I had to remove it and add it again.

Now I am curious if all the timer related issues that started are related to the latest version of Quicklaunch, that also came out around then as well. Anyone out there without Quicklaunch and BB timer issues?
    03-10-09 01:01 AM
    I don't use quicklaunch and mine is slow sometmes.....I do use weatherbug though. I think this is the culprit. .

03-10-09 01:51 AM

It would be if there was 128MB dedicated to user apps but, that's not how it is. The OS uses the 128MB and you get to use whatever's left...which isn't a ton.
    03-10-09 08:10 AM
    yeah does anyone know why apps arent saved to the 1 gig of flash? seems wasteful to force it to ram
    03-10-09 08:18 AM

Agree w/ previous post regarding the OS - looking at a lot of the non-hardware related issues around here most it comes down to leaking apps, memory issues, and battery pulls to get the memory back up over 20. It is a darn shame they did not double it - of course we would all have twice as much crap on our phones and still be complaining .
    03-10-09 08:20 AM
    Well I did a test last night.
    Steps:
    1. Created full backup and 3rd Party backup.
    2. Removed all apps and themes from my phone except for Crackberry launcher and Quickpull 1.1.2(haven't updated yet)
    3. Created another 3rd part backup
    4. Loaded .109 onto my laptop, I had to install my ghost image last weekend.
    5. Used Crackmem to remove as much as I could.
    6. Reloaded .109 onto my phone, using loader.exe.
    -
    Results:
    I ended up with 18mb more free memory after having removed all other apps and the one other theme I had(Titanium) now 48mb free after quickpull being run.
    I surfed the web aggressively changing pages as soon as one loaded trying to see a BB clock.
    First time I saw it my content cache was at 552kb
    Second time 662kb
    History, cache, cookies and pushed content were then cleared again.
    First time I saw BB clock again was at 428kb

Granted I saw it for maybe .5 second but it was still there. I wasn't reading anything on pages so I'm not sure how realistic a test it was. It did not really simulate my normal browsing. It did prove however that with nothing other than Quickpull, Crackberry launcher and default programs when the processor is pushed you will see the BB clock, kinda scary.
    I used to see the BB clock for 3-5 seconds sometimes, but usually only a second while a page loaded.
    App memory is now down to 37.3mb, only program opened was the browser and I haven't received any emails or SMS/MMS.
    Last edited by bp22_ca; 03-10-09 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add Crackmem step
    03-10-09 11:04 AM
    I have likely a dozen apps, three or four launchers on my Storm and it is running just as fast as it was when I first got it. Have you made sure you have the memory cleaning is enabled and that you are using it on a regular basis? I run mine a few times a day even with it running in the background while the device is idle and is does seem to make a differenece...
    03-10-09 12:02 PM
    I have likely a dozen apps, three or four launchers on my Storm and it is running just as fast as it was when I first got it. Have you made sure you have the memory cleaning is enabled and that you are using it on a regular basis? I run mine a few times a day even with it running in the background while the device is idle and is does seem to make a differenece...
    I never enable memory cleaning, to be honest I always found it slowed things down and the phone is stable and works fine without it once memory evens out around 30mb. I might run Quickpull once a week so that shows it runs relatively stable and ok, it just hangs now and then BB clock spinning for 3-5 seconds or other times just while a page loads.
    The whole intent of my test was to try and find a cause for the BB clock annoyance that started for me on .76 just before I updated to .103/.106H and then to .109. I would put it down to a device issue except that a majority seem to have it as well. This leads me to believe it is an application problem since it started on my phone when I was still running .76 and I am on Bell and Verizon users have the same problem.
    I have had update prompts in DM that won't update due to .109 OS being higher than what Bell's official .76 OS is. I might try going back to .76 just to see what those updates do.
    In the end maybe it is my device, it has been dropped a few times but runs fine except for BB clock issues. For the record I just turned on memory cleaning again for kicks.
    03-10-09 01:25 PM
    I'd suggest be very picky about what apps you load. All of my apps are through the available app center that came stock on my 9530, or from reputable sites that provide apps OPTIMIZED for the storm. Keywords: reputable, optimized. Keep that in mind and should help.

03-10-09 01:34 PM
    Just running the phone causes a consistent and constant memory leak. I usually restart the phone every few days since I get down to 10 or 12 MB or less of RAM regardless of how many programs I run. It's a good habit to get into.

On the other hand, sometimes the phone out of the blue restarts itself (especially when I am performing such useless functions as writing a message, making a phone call, etc) and so that is one way to solve the memory leak temporarily
    03-10-09 01:36 PM
    I've tried installing 3 different themes (from different authors) and have ended up uninstalling them all because they caused major lag.

I have been using QuickLaunch and it hasn't been causing me any problems.

My (4th) Storm seemed to be working fine. I've had it a week now. Suddenly today, the dissolves have slowed down dramatically, and the little arm dial comes on showing me that it's working quite a bit..

All i did was add 1 theme, quicklaunch, and a couple other apps, and launchers. That was pretty much it. My memory is in the high 30s.

If adding adding a few things slows it down THIS much (if that's what caused it), what's going to happen when the app store opens, and I want to get ever more apps??

An ideas? The very slow dissolves between screens is annoying.
    03-10-09 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD