Forgive my ignorance, does anyone know if the storm will have the capability to act as a wireless tether for a cellular broadband router like a Cradlepoint or a Digi?

My situation is this: I have a credit card processor that is Ethernet capable; I'd like to be able to use this in the field through a cell router using the Storm as the network interface. I know it can be done of the BB's that have a wi-fi transmitter, but since the Storm does not........

Can anyone help me sort this out? I really don't want to buy a seperate cell modem/plan just for the occasional field use of the credit card processor.

Thanks
    11-15-08 12:04 AM
    Bump.... I am curious about the tethering capability as well. Will it have wireless tethering capability via bluetooth that will allow voice and data simultaneously?

Thanks
    11-15-08 11:01 AM
    I just tested this out over the last week. Works fine. I have a Cradlepoint MBR1000. I had some trouble getting the Storm to be recognized as a modem but when I dis-enabled my password lock it hocked up fine. I did upgrade to the latest firmware release which Cradlepoint says supports the Storm.
    Last edited by donheff; 01-04-09 at 12:47 PM.
    01-04-09 12:41 PM

Can anyone help me sort this out? I really don't want to buy a seperate cell modem/plan just for the occasional field use of the credit card processor.

Thanks
    I forgot to mention in my earlier response, if you only tether your BB now and then you can call up VZW to enable the broadband access capabilty and call back to cancel it. They will pro-rate your costs based on the portion of the month you use it. That is what I did for the last week. Also, when I unplugged my Storm from the Cradlepoint the Storm still thought it was engaged in the connection and told me so when I attempted to browse. I had to turn the antenna off and then back on to clear it. If anyone knows how to gracefully exit a connection to a router please let me know.
    01-04-09 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD