This past weekend my wife broke down and decided to take advantage of the buy one, get one free Blackberry promotion at Verizon.

I cannnot believe how much more stable her Curve is than my Storm. I ALMOST wish that I would have gotten the Curve instead of the Storm. I hope they fix the Storm OS system soon. It sure would make me one happy camper.

BTW, my wife, who normally hates technology, is already adicted.
    03-31-09 07:23 AM
    Just remember the Storm isn't that old yet...

Once they get another OS update or two I have a feeling she will wish she got a Storm.
    03-31-09 07:33 AM
    There are already leaked os's and hybrids out there if you want to improve the Storm. I've been running them for months without any real issues and I'm very pleased with my Storm's performance. If you just aren't satisfied and don't want to upgrade to betas or hybrids then you can wait for the next official or take advantage of VZW 14 day return policy.
    03-31-09 10:21 AM
    Take it back and get the Curve, you'll be glad you did!
    03-31-09 10:23 AM
    Curve is old and boring

Go with the Niagara

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 10:33 AM
    I've had my Storm since December 3rd and am going to stick with it. I really like the form factor and am willing to put up with its shortcomings. However, because the Storm is my first Blackberry, I didn't realize how smooth the OS's on other Blackberries were.

BTW, although I am new to the Blackberry platform, I have been using PDAs going back to the old Cassiopeia 105 and iPAC 4155.
    03-31-09 11:10 AM
    hybrid os all the way. pretty damn smooth
    03-31-09 11:13 AM
    113 has been great so far. Give that a try before you make any decisions
    03-31-09 11:17 AM
    if you want a BB that you can buy, use, and never worry about the curve is a great phone. the storm if you like to tweak, install, wipe, try leaked OS, a labor of love of sorts its a great phone.

before anyone flames me the storm is a labor intensive phone but thats one thing i love about it
    03-31-09 11:24 AM
    Love my storm! Especially now that I'm running on BBCrackmans .114 Hybrid V3 it is far faster then on the original OS and most of the bugs have been fixed.

I would definately recommend taking a look at it and seeing what you think, you can find it in a thread in the Beta OS discussion section of the site.
    03-31-09 11:43 AM
    I had a chance to play around my GF's curve (that sounds funny, doesn't it? ) anyway, for about a month, she had a BB Curve and I started to really like it. My old phone was an LG VX-1800 and it was seriously getting out-of-date. So along came the VZW bogo and I couldn't resist not only did I get my first BB, but it was the Storm. Here are my observations:

Curve UPSIDES:
    Capable, stable, keyboard is the best thing about it (physical buttons are so much easier to type on), polished OS, trackball works great, easy to navigate on the internet, handles email with grace and ease, stays charged a lot longer than the Storm, camera isn't too bad.

Curve DOWNSIDES: Smaller screen, slower on the internet, not much wow factor since they've been around so long.

Storm UPSIDES: Bigger and better screen, faster internet and email feeds (in fact, receives and sends email very quickly), More apps, looks great, major wow factor with BB's newest technology, camera image quality can be very good (on most pics)

Storm DOWNSIDES: Random reboots, buggy OS causes delays and lags, keyboard really takes some "getting-used-to" as there is a steep learning "curve" as you learn how it works (and how it doesn't work)... I can't type on it nearly as fast as I can on a Curve, accelerometer sometimes stalls (going from landscape to portrait), phone not as good as Curve's, camera software is really slow and buggy, battery life, although better on my replacement phone, is not nearly as good as the curve or even my old LG phone, weird problems seem to crop up all the time.

NOTE: I am still on .75 and a lot of my issues with the Storm should clear up once i upgrade. OF course, there will prolly be new ones popping up once I do that, so forewarned is forearmed.

The above are only my observations/opinions. Your results may (and prolly will) vary.
    Last edited by motrv8d; 03-31-09 at 01:04 PM.
    03-31-09 12:12 PM
    This past weekend my wife broke down and decided to take advantage of the buy one, get one free Blackberry promotion at Verizon.

I cannnot believe how much more stable her Curve is than my Storm. I ALMOST wish that I would have gotten the Curve instead of the Storm. I hope they fix the Storm OS system soon. It sure would make me one happy camper.

They are going to fix it.. a update is suppose to be coming out extremely soon (read: less than a couple weeks) but we all know Verizon...

03-31-09 12:15 PM
    I don't think RIM will fix the Storm anytime soon. .113 is supposed to be the next official and is horrible. The curve is old but works. The N should be like the 8900 though, near flawless out of the box.

03-31-09 12:20 PM
    I agree I hope they really work out the storm problems but since I got the .113 it seems to be running pretty smooth so far I had atleast 3 batt pulls since I first got the OS leak
    03-31-09 12:29 PM
    couldnt say it better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had a chance to play around my GF's curve (that sounds funny, doesn't it? ) anyway, for about a month, she had a BB Curve and I started to really like it. My old phone was an LG VX-1800 and it was seriously getting out-of-date. So along came the VZW bogo and I couldn't resist not only did I get my first BB, but it was the Storm. Here are my observations:

Curve UPSIDES:
    Capable, stable, keyboard is the best thing about it (physical buttons are so much easier to type on), polished OS, trackball works great, easy to navigate on the internet, handles email with grace and ease, stays charged a lot longer than the Storm, camera isn't too bad.

Curve DOWNSIDES: Smaller screen, slower on the internet, not much wow factor since they've been around so long.

Storm UPSIDES: Bigger and better screen, faster internet and email feeds (in fact, receives and sends email very quickly), More apps, looks great, major wow factor with BB's newest technology, camera image quality can be very good (on most pics)

Storm DOWNSIDES: Random reboots, buggy OS causes delays and lags, accelerometer sometimes stalls (going from landscape to portrait), phone not as good as Curve's, camera software is really slow and buggy, battery life, although better on my replacement phone, is not nearly as good as the curve or even my old LG phone, weird problems seem to crop up all the time.

NOTE: I am still on .75 and a lot of my issues with the Storm should clear up once i upgrade. OF course, there will prolly be new ones popping up once I do that, so forewarned is forearmed.

The above are only my observations/opinions. Your results may (and prolly will) vary.
    03-31-09 12:39 PM

Didn't someone post a similar question not that long ago?

In my humble opinion, the Storm and the Curve are targeting different dermographic. So you are comparing apple to orange. The Storm is for those who like touch screen converged device like the iPhone, but will not go to AT&T. The Curve is for the traditional BlackBerry customers who are accustomed to that hardware keyboard, the scrolling ball, and the tiny portrait screen.

03-31-09 12:46 PM
    Didn't someone post a similar question not that long ago?

In my humble opinion, the Storm and the Curve are targeting different dermographic. So you are comparing apple to orange. The Storm is for those who like touch screen converged device like the iPhone, but will not go to AT&T. The Curve is for the traditional BlackBerry customers who are accustomed to that hardware keyboard, the scrolling ball, and the tiny portrait screen.

I am the OP. Actually, I have read most, if not all of the previous posts. I wasn't asking a question here. I am a techno junkie by nature and love the Storm. I guess that I'm just a little jealous that my Storm isn't as smooth as my wife's Curve. I will probably be subjected to a little spousal teasing when my Storm hiccups (and her's doesn't). Call it an observational testimonial, not a question.
    Last edited by CrackOne; 03-31-09 at 01:06 PM.
    03-31-09 01:03 PM
    just yesterday my gf called me from her Curve. Storm rings, I pull it out of the holster, press the green call button, BOOM. The phone dies. Random reboot. I have some "splaining to do!" Why did you hang up me when I called??? Well Honey, my Storm crashed right when you called...
    03-31-09 01:07 PM
    my Storm isn't as smooth as my wife's Curve.
    Gee, I can't believe I wrote that.
    03-31-09 01:14 PM
    Besides the obvious... "Storm" sounds more manly than "Curve" (no offense ladies)...

You keyed me in on one important fact about yourself. If you are a techno-junkie as you say, stick with the Storm. When it comes to having the latest "gadget", the Storm is the deal. Everyone knows (who is a TJ also) half the fun in having a device such as this "messing" with it. I was running .75 until about a week or so ago, and then I made the move to .113. No more random reboots, the camera is MUCH faster to respond, and I have only had two battery pulls. I used to have to reset the device daily when on .75 or it would do it for me.

So, check out the .113 posts (they helped me a lot in deciding) and have fun with it.

Oh yeah, tell your wife she may want to visit the CB Store and buy some replacement trackballs. I also have a 8830 World Edition and it starts to track weird after about two months of in-and-out of my pocket.

Good luck!

J.
    03-31-09 01:22 PM
    oh yes ladies, I noticed that the Curve will collect makeup not only on the face of the screen, which needs to be wiped off, but I also noticed makeup residue and powder collecting on the trackball of my GF's Curve 8330. So the Curve has a maintenance issue that the Storm does not, although the Storm needs to have a wipedown with a lens cloth every day or so...
    03-31-09 01:38 PM
    I don't think RIM will fix the Storm anytime soon. .113 is supposed to be the next official and is horrible. The curve is old but works. The N should be like the 8900 though, near flawless out of the box.
    I hope this is true. I heard the build they're on internally is a okay build, it doesn't reboot anymore.
    03-31-09 03:33 PM
    I am the OP. Actually, I have read most, if not all of the previous posts. I wasn't asking a question here. I am a techno junkie by nature and love the Storm. I guess that I'm just a little jealous that my Storm isn't as smooth as my wife's Curve. I will probably be subjected to a little spousal teasing when my Storm hiccups (and her's doesn't). Call it an observational testimonial, not a question.
    I have been a programmer for many years, so I consider myself a computer geek. If you are a technophile, I strongly suggest you to stay with the Storm.

Although the Curve is very stable, it is old technology. Touch screen and full-screen landscape mode are the way of the future.

03-31-09 04:10 PM
    Try updating and if you still aren't satisfied return it for the Curve, or even go back to your old phone and wait for the niagara. After the niagara comes out the Curve will be more outdated.

Verizon has a 30 day return period if you realize you don't like the storm.
    03-31-09 04:14 PM
    I'd say download .113 and see if it helps your experience with your storm. I think if you still don't like it wait for the 9630, it's much better than the curve. The curve is outdated....
    03-31-09 07:36 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD