Guaranteed it was a locked model and thats why the review was slim. You and i both know if the browser was working he would of shown it, good chance that was a early version.
    Yeah, I totally agree. That also more confirms that its a really early model, i would think.
    09-10-08 01:57 AM
    Regarding the look of the keyboard screen.

I noticed that when he first shows us that you have to "push" the screen and then it goes to the keyboard screen, well for a second it seems to show much nicer looking buttons (more glossy and fitting to the rest of the UI), then it quickly changes to those dull gray buttons.
    Good Catch. Here's a pic of the interface that flashed before the dull gray buttons.

We've already seen screen shots of the plain keyboard interface weeks ago. I'm guessing that this video was made around the time those keyboard screen shots leaked. I'm sure RIM has tweaked the device since this video was shot.

09-10-08 02:00 AM
    Good Catch. Here's a pic of the interface that flashed before the dull gray buttons.

We've already seen screen shots of the plain keyboard interface weeks ago. I'm guessing that this video was made around the time those keyboard screen shots leaked. I'm sure RIM has tweaked the device since this video was shot.

I wouldn't necessarily say they've tweaked since "this" has been shot. For all we know this kid could've shot this yesterday, and just had an old model. Of course no way to know for sure. We'll see hopefully tomorrow.
    09-10-08 02:05 AM
    Did I see a wifi menu symbol at 3:06 of this video?
    I think you're right!
    09-10-08 02:06 AM
    I wouldn't necessarily say they've tweaked since "this" has been shot. For all we know this kid could've shot this yesterday, and just had an old model. Of course no way to know for sure. We'll see hopefully tomorrow.
    Well, at least I think it's safe to say they won't release a phone that flashes a different keyboard interface for a second, then switches to dull gray buttons
    09-10-08 02:08 AM
    Did I see a wifi menu symbol at 3:06 of this video?
    I don't know if I'd automatically consider that WIFI. On my 8800 the "manage connections" icon looks like something that could resemble a WIFI button. I could be that. WIFI would be one of the options located in there along with the radio and bluetooth and whatever else. We can hope though.

Well, at least I think it's safe to say they won't release a phone that flashes a different keyboard interface for a second, then switches to dull gray buttons
    Yeah def!! Shoot, they better not. LOL!
    09-10-08 02:10 AM
    edit: maybe i was wrong?
    Last edited by Esoteric1; 09-10-08 at 02:17 AM.
    09-10-08 02:14 AM
    Long time Lurker, First time Poster...

If you look at the date on the phone when he first holds it up....bad news....it says Tuesday September 9th....just before 8pm. He just made the video.

I guess it could be an earlier build, but it's a spankin' new video.
    09-10-08 02:14 AM
    Save yourself the hassle of loading the whole video
    Here is the THUNDER ONLY part:
    09-10-08 02:18 AM
    Good eye BBJazz

Well I just noticed something quite interesting. If you look really closely you can kinda make out that there are no, i repeat no side buttons on this unit at all. The is said to have a volume rocker and the convenience key aswell, making this model a def. prototype. I mean unless they are seriously recessed, they're just not there. Just my opinion.
    09-10-08 02:19 AM
    here's the youtube link and you can click "watch in high quality" and get a better picture.

youtube.com/watch?v=e-sDkIP9AUg
    09-10-08 02:21 AM
    I take back what i just said. After seeing the high quality version, I can see the side buttons.
    09-10-08 02:23 AM
    you could start a whole thread just on how annoying this guy is.
    09-10-08 02:24 AM
    i think he kept on saying the phone was 'ok' to seem extra cool and unimpressed. i would not be too worried. i'm sure the phone will be great guys.
    09-10-08 02:24 AM
    I take back what i just said. After seeing the high quality version, I can see the side buttons.
    yep, just saw them on the HQ version as well.

Another note - At the end, he's using the keyboard to enter text into the browser. You can see the website in the background.
    09-10-08 02:31 AM
    The more I look at that symbol there more I'm convinced it's wifi..
    09-10-08 02:35 AM
    Great find, lets cross our fingers that it is talked about at CTIA! Let's get this to the people
    09-10-08 02:39 AM
    The more I look at that symbol there more I'm convinced it's wifi..
    I'm a hopeful believer.
    09-10-08 02:40 AM
    I also noticed that same symbol in the menu for the Bold... so if we know what it does on the Bold then we know what it does on the thunder...right?
    09-10-08 02:46 AM
    Yeah, it definitely looks like a Wi-Fi symbol.

I'm not too familiar with the UI/Icons of BlackBerrys but this video of the 8320 Curve's Icon set might say something.

When he highlights a similar icon around 0:35, you can see it says "Manage Connections" at the bottom. Then you get the option of toggling Mobile Network/ Bluetooth/ Wi-Fi On/Off.

I don't know if this video will have any relevance towards the Storm but I thought it might show how it would be dealt with. I still don't know if it will only be Mobile Network & Bluetooth though.

The symbol definitely looks like it has something to do with Wi-Fi though. I hope it is.
    09-10-08 02:59 AM
    "In order to push a key you have to push..." Novel idea! Interesting that he has a copy but I also get the feeling it's an older copy. Guess we'll know something tomorrow, eh?
    09-10-08 03:05 AM
    uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-kHMXGbDc (Add http: / /, I couldn't since I don't have 10 posts yet)

Here's one of the Bold like KraftBerry said. It's at 1:35. Same exact icon and like the 8320 Curve, it represents "Manage Connections"
    09-10-08 03:12 AM

I tried to get a good look at it but the icon he selects looks like the Address Book. You can see the default picture that appears with a new address entry. It looks like the first keyboard that is shown in the SureType keyboard and then it switches to a numerical keyboard. Maybe he selected the "phone number" entry portion?
    Last edited by skyys; 09-10-08 at 03:27 AM.
    09-10-08 03:25 AM
    Let's say that icon does have something to do with this phone having Wi-Fi, this could easily be the Thunder and not the Storm Verizon is getting right? I didn't have audio for the video since I'm at work so I dunno if it would help with answering my question.
    09-10-08 03:28 AM
    exactly how hard does he need to press down on these keys to think he might break the screen??
    He's dumb.

I personally think thats a early build and will be great when its finally released
    09-10-08 03:30 AM
170 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD