Hi

My Storm Camera is not working. Here is the message I get:

! Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again.

I searched the forum and found this tip which fixed the problem for another user:

Back up your phone. Go to options, securtiy options, general settings. Hit the blackberry button and choose wipe. Reinstall you info and you should be good.

This is my first Blackberry and I have not had one problem..until now.
    I've never had to wipe the phone, so I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

So, my question is...I have the phone backed up...when I choose wipe do I do it while connected to the DM? Then reinstall?

Thanks for any help...I just don't want to mess up the process.
    02-16-09 03:52 PM
    My wife's Storm did the same thing. She had 25MB of free memory still and nothing was running out of the ordinary. A battery pull did the trick.
    02-16-09 04:13 PM
    Thanks...but I pulled the battery numerous times with no results.

I just got off the phone with VZW Tech Support. He walked me through wiping the phone...and guess what? No luck...the camera is still not functioning.

So, they are sending me out a replacement. I loved my Storm...it was perfect in every way...perfect click, no dust issues...not one single problem for 2 months...until today, that is. Ugh! I am so bummed.

I will add, Verizon Customer Service was, as usual, very professional, courteous and helpful. (another reason I have stayed with them for 8 years)

Oh well...such is life...
    02-16-09 05:56 PM
    I had the same problem with my storm back in Nov. I ended up doing the same and got a replacement and my storms been doing very well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 07:44 PM
    Could be a hardware problem try this:

Put some pressure on the phone with your thumbs on the camera lense and your index fingers holding the backside near your earpiece and LED light.
    A connection worked itself loose on my camera just a few days ago and this fixed it.
    There is another thread on this elsewhere too.

edit: I had the same error message you did and wipes and an OS upgrade did nothing to solve the issue until I tried the fix above
    Last edited by HawkeyeOC; 02-16-09 at 08:01 PM. Reason: additional info
    02-16-09 07:56 PM
    Screw that don't send the storm back do a backup then wipe it using jl_cmdr then reload os then restore the backup
    02-16-09 07:58 PM

Put some pressure on the phone with your thumbs on the camera lense and your index fingers holding the backside near your earpiece and LED light.
    A connection worked itself loose on my camera just a few days ago and this fixed it.

edit: I had the same error message you did and wipes and an OS upgrade did nothing to solve the issue until I tried the fix above
    Yes, I saw that post and tried this fix...with no success. Plus, my concern then would be how long until the connection loosens again?

Screw that don't send the storm back do a backup then wipe it using jl_cmdr then reload os then restore the backup
    Do you really think this would fix the problem?
    I would like to try this...but this is my first BB and I have no clue (embarrassingly) how to wipe it using jl_cmdr and I am scared I will really mess it up.
    02-16-09 09:46 PM
    i have the same problem with my phone it doesn't seem to want to open the camera. Some times it will open the camera but it won't save any pictures.... it's all kinds of messed up...
    02-16-09 10:26 PM
    I'm on my 2nd Storm....My First one had this problem so they replaced it....i got my 2nd one last week...today the same problem also the LED stop working...I haven't sent the first one back yet....So tomorrow I'll be stopping by fedex to mail the first one back & then stopping by VZW to get a new one sent to me.
    03-05-09 08:12 PM
    I actually had the same problem, after spilling vodka down the screen. I thought that was the reason for it malfunctioning. But after a couple weeks i tried to fire up the camera app and it worked normally again. Strange Strange phone.
    03-05-09 08:59 PM
    I have this same problem - would they upgrade me to a storm 2?
    11-18-09 07:16 PM
    uh, no. do another search for bbsak or jlcmdr. backup your data, wipe your phone with one of those programs, and then reload the OS. that should fix it.
    11-18-09 07:37 PM
    I had this same issue with my Storm 1 in October. I tried wiping and reloading OS and nothing fixed it. The pushing in on the camera lens work, but that only lasted a week. Then I started getting the same error again. Once the Storm 2 came out I took my phone to VZW and begged with them to upgrade me to the Storm 2 but I didn't have any luck. They did send me another Storm 1 free because I was still under the one year warranty from RIM.
    11-19-09 08:17 AM
    uh, no. do another search for bbsak or jlcmdr. backup your data, wipe your phone with one of those programs, and then reload the OS. that should fix it.

you sir are wrong - BBSAK wipe and a reload did jack to fix the problem.
    11-19-09 10:48 AM
    you sir are wrong - BBSAK wipe and a reload did jack to fix the problem.
    I said "should", not "would". Btw, "you sir are wrong" sounds a lot like "thanks for nothing *******".

11-19-09 12:21 PM
    What OS is your phone running ? The O.P. was running .75 . Have you updated the OS to .328 ?
    11-19-09 12:27 PM
    Not sure if this will help you, but it did help me.

I was having the same issue with the camera not starting. It would always work for a period of time after a battery pull, or a quick pull, and then give me the same error.

Get your camera to start by doing a battery pull, then go to options and see where your camera folder is located. I had changed mine to the external memory (in an effort to get some more free device memory). Change the camera folder back to device memory. Since doing that, my camera has been working for three days now without a battery pull, and I've been checking a lot. Even while running other applications like Slacker.

I initially thought this error had something to do with the OS 5.0 upgrade, but I don't think that any more, because I changed the camera folder option after upgrading to 5.0.
    11-21-09 07:37 AM
    Not sure if this will help you, but it did help me.

I was having the same issue with the camera not starting. It would always work for a period of time after a battery pull, or a quick pull, and then give me the same error.

Get your camera to start by doing a battery pull, then go to options and see where your camera folder is located. I had changed mine to the external memory (in an effort to get some more free device memory). Change the camera folder back to device memory. Since doing that, my camera has been working for three days now without a battery pull, and I've been checking a lot. Even while running other applications like Slacker.

I initially thought this error had something to do with the OS 5.0 upgrade, but I don't think that any more, because I changed the camera folder option after upgrading to 5.0.
    Looks like I celebrated too quickly. After a few days, I got the "Could not Start the Camera" message again. So, it doesn't have anything to do with internal/external memory.

That leaves upgrading to OS 5.0 as the only thing that's different from when the camera worked all the time, and now where it works for a period of time then doesn't, until the phone is restarted/rebooted.
    11-22-09 07:46 AM
    I started to do a Security Wipe, But the phone told me I would lose all my email and contact data. I DID do a backup onto my laptop, when I reinstall will this put my contact info back. Sorry I'm not real good with this stuff.
    01-13-10 06:07 PM
    Yep I'm having same camera issues as you guys. I've wiped OS. I've reinstalled .328. I then installed .419. Nothing. same problem. I've done security reset to factory default. Again nothing. Of course tried battery pull and holding camera lens and led with persure. Only thing left that I can think of us that I switched over from tmobile and I'm back on Verizon and maybe something in Verizon bloat ware is interfearing with camera operation. Just a thought cause camera worked fine the whole time I was with tmoble and ran different OSes. Latest I was on before leaving was .328. Lol this is a ******** problem and looking at threads and google I see its a problem among a lot of storm users recently. Has to be something in Verizon

01-14-10 09:19 AM
    I also had same issues with my storm camera, did battery pulls many times no help. Vzw just send me a replacement phone.

I was running .328

01-14-10 08:07 PM
    Yeah unfortunately not insured anymore. I need a quick fix here

01-14-10 08:35 PM

due thanks that helped alot actually
    01-15-10 01:50 PM
    Just found potential fix. My camera now works. I was missing blackberry messenger so I downloaded last night. Rebooted and still nothing. This morning I downloaded ebay app. Played with it for a while and by accident hit camera key and voila. It worked. Not sure which software triggered it. U believe software related for sure. Prior to t

01-20-10 09:29 AM
    Just found potential fix. My camera now works. I was missing blackberry messenger so I downloaded last night. Rebooted and still nothing. This morning I downloaded ebay app. Played with it for a while and by accident hit camera key and voila. It worked. Not sure which software triggered it. I believe software related for sure. Prior to that I used every suggestion that was posted here. Hope this helps someone

01-20-10 09:30 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD