Do Not Buy That Garbage
    04-06-09 09:46 PM
    All these replies are very interesting. My wife and I just got 2 storms. We were very excited and ecstatic to get the phones after the commercials literally got us both wet. I'm the berry man and she's a newbie. I was glad to trade in my overworked 8830.

The first day, the screens started locking up. Going from horizontal to vertical mode would freeze up and half the screen would be horizontal, and half the screen vertical. Then my wife's screen went staticky. I had to do a battery pull.

Then I took a picture and it came out purple with the top half of the pic at the bottom, and the bottom half of the pic at the top. A second try failed completely then a third try did work.

After that, the video camera would not work. I had the 8 gig card inserted and the phone set to save to the card. I kept getting a message that video failed, nothing else.

Then I would get calls and the screen would freeze up. I couldn't press any buttons to take a call and would lose the call (to vm tho). The screen would remain frozen for approximately 5 minutes before it would get back to normal.

I tried to conference another caller in, during a call, but I was having difficulty using the vertical dialpad. Unfortunately I couldn't get to vertical when turning the phone to find a contact, while I was on a call. This was very annoying.

Also the lock button is extremely sensitive. The slightest touch would unlock the phone. My wife and I both experienced the same problems on both of our phones. And the SureType system is great if you hit the key perfectly. Otherwise it will suggest weird words you don't want to type. And because it's flat there is no way for you to really learn your keyboard and become a true berry.

We concluded that the Storm is not a phone for someone who uses it for business (3+ calls per hour, plus approx 10 text msgs per hour). The phone is very cute and sexy. Although the spaces between the touch screen and the phone body are kinda wide and make it look a bit cheap compared to the iPhone. It's great for college fun and just to show up in the subway, but you will lose your mind if you try and use it for business, at the same pace you would use an 8830 or a Curve.

After reading all the comments about what users have to go through, to get around some of the software issues, I can't imagine that this should be standard operating procedure when you have a phone.

I have owned Blackberrys since 1998, starting with the 850. Even though the Storm is the sexiest one of them all, it seems to only be a mere response to the iPhone and still has many software issues.

My wife and I traded our Storms in for Curves which are pretty much smaller 8830s with cooler software and the video, voice notes and camera. And the keyboard is even better.

I was pretty disappointed in the Storm, as a veteran Berryman. The device, which is supposed to make my business life a lot easier, brought a lot of additional complication to my efficiency. The worse part was when the device froze, I felt so helpless and out of touch with my business. I couldn't resolve the fact that I would need to be pulling out my battery twice a day to fix these types of issues.

So, in closing, if you are thinking of upgrading or trading in your Blackberry 8830 for a Blackberry Storm for business (and I mean at least 3 calls per hour for 6 hours straight and 10+ texts per hour for 12 hours straight), think again. The software is not ready to handle that kind of rugged business usage. The Blackberry Curve would be the best alternative.

What's funny is that, when we returned to the Verizon store to give back our Storms, the technicians admitted that our complaints were textbook when it came to the Storm. We also witnessed 5 customers returning to the store with the very same complaints about the Storm. A few calls that morning before our visit, yielded the very same feedback from people we knew who had gotten the Storm.

Out of 5 starts, the 8830 gets 4, the Curve gets 5, and the Storm gets 2. I don't need data while being abroad, I'd much rather hole up in one of those cozy internet (and the other thing) cafes on the banks of the Amstel deep up in the 'Dam. Know what I mean Gene?
    04-08-09 12:36 AM
    I disagree the the Storm is garbage. I honestly expected nothing of it and was going to use it as a filler in between the niagara thats coming out soon. But once I upgraded it to the .113 software. Many of the problems the previous poster said doesnt exist and its smooth. It obviously isnt as smooth as butter but its pretty damn close.

Upgrading the OS isnt much of a hassle. I recommend you try it at least, give it the benefit of the doubt. There are many other happy Storm users. Personally, I fell in love with it after upgrading the software. There are many improvements it needs but every phone does. **** even iPhone users are waiting for the MMS app on their iPhone.

I've used many other Blackberries, I am actually coming from, well an Omnia but before that I had the Bold and before then were all BBs. It's a great phone. Try it for yourself.
    04-08-09 01:52 AM
    I would personally just ask one question. How much do you EMAIL? I never had a problem with my Storm and for the most part it work really well. Updated to leaked OS and bam the thing sprung to life. However, I receive and send in excess of 35 emails a day and find that typos are a crazy little pain in the but. Texting didn't bother me because they are short and not that big of a deal, but emails can and do tend on being quite longer making all those typos more of a hassle. So go from there but my Curve gets here in the morning!!!
    04-08-09 02:33 AM
    i hate the storm
    bold ftw
    04-14-09 11:10 PM
    I would personally just ask one question. How much do you EMAIL? I never had a problem with my Storm and for the most part it work really well. Updated to leaked OS and bam the thing sprung to life. However, I receive and send in excess of 35 emails a day and find that typos are a crazy little pain in the but. Texting didn't bother me because they are short and not that big of a deal, but emails can and do tend on being quite longer making all those typos more of a hassle. So go from there but my Curve gets here in the morning!!!
    I find that with .122 the typos are largely a thing of the past.

Other threads have also suggested that disabling the spellchecker also speeds up typing - I supose this depends upon how confident you are about spelling...

That should read suppose!!! Guess I won't be disabling the spellcheck
    Last edited by Hanniballecturer; 04-17-09 at 10:54 AM.
    04-15-09 04:58 PM
    NO wifi, no Storm!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 05:47 PM
    Hello,

I currently have the BlackBerry Curve 8330, and love it, but I am thinking of maybe wanting to upgrade to the Storm come July.
    I was hoping to get opinions and thoughts from people you have used or own the new BlackBerry Storm.
    I am curious as to the software, the use-ability, etc, etc.
    Anything that can be provided is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jennifer
    Jennifer

I here there is alot of bad reviews on the Blackberry Storm. I currently own the Blackberry Curve and I love it. I'm waiting for the new Blackberry Niagra by sprint should be out around August or September.

Good Luck
    Rob Shepherd
    05-17-09 08:30 PM
    I had the Storm and hated it, switched to the Bold and love it. I think the Storm was a flop.
    05-17-09 08:54 PM
    Hello Jennifer, I don`t know if you already decided to but a storm or not. You have seen a lot of opinion about the storm.

Don`t worry about the os. You are Bell a user, and Bell released 122 officially for the storm. It is a fine OS and I have used it since it was a beta release.

It really comes down to it if you like to use a physical qwerty keyboard. Because of you do then storm might not be to your liking. But if the keyboard is not an issue then try the storm
    05-17-09 09:27 PM
    I wouldnt trade your curve in for the strom, i did the same thing and have regretted it, the phone just isnt stable enough to be happy with on daily use
    05-27-09 01:00 PM
    Wait for the Storm2 why don't you? It's coming out soon and will surely be better in every way than the shaky-as-they-makey Storm1. I agree it's all about 2 things: do you type a lot? If so the keyboard beats the touchscreen hands down. Or do you want the pretty big screen? That's getter for browsing internet and video and games.
    05-27-09 01:30 PM
    The storm rules!!!! At first i was skeptical of getting a blackberry touch screen phone. After playing with it at the vzw store, i said to my self. I kinda like this phone. I bought it, now i cant keep my paws off of the damn thing.
    06-02-09 08:33 PM
    The Storm seemed like a great concept and a natural evolution in BlackBerry's lineup; however, for me personally, I prefer buttons such as those on the Curve or Bold over the touch screen on the Storm. I wanted to like the Storm, but at the end of the day, and after several days of typing on it, I found it to be less precise and harder on my wrists. In my humble opinion, there's no substitute for a well-designed button-based qwerty keyboard. I don't even mind if BlackBerry makes the device a bit wider to increase space between the keys for ease of typing.
    06-03-09 07:25 PM
    Have you considered the tour?
    07-09-09 05:14 PM
    How long does the battery last?
    07-09-09 05:16 PM
    Personally I have a love-hate relationship with my Storm, worst BlackBerry I have ever owned (reliability wise), but best touchscreen. It also gives me pride knowing that it was one more bite out of Apple and at&t which I despise. I would tell you the best way to find out if you would like it or not is play with the demo (not the best option) or play with a friend's and see if you can for an hour or two. Remember that phone choices are important so weigh your options and compare multiple phones.

Chris
    08-13-09 06:57 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD