Yes, yes it is.

It is too slow to be considered useful. I don't have 2 minutes to wait for a single webpage to load.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/browsers-366442/
    11-24-09 06:46 PM
    I think the people who like the BB browser haven't used Opera Mini, or if they have didn't take the time to get used to it. Opera Mini is no less that 10X faster. The BB browser is bottom of the barrel. Total joke!
    11-24-09 08:02 PM
    I think the people who like the BB browser haven't used Opera Mini, or if they have didn't take the time to get used to it. Opera Mini is no less that 10X faster. The BB browser is bottom of the barrel. Total joke!
    Does RIM allow you to change the default browser yet? So that links in e-mail open in Opera? Until I get the S2, I can't have many overlapping apps...
    11-24-09 08:30 PM
    I never realized how crappy it loaded (just blamed it on the network being slow lol) until I got my Droid and the pages load super fast on that. That's when I found out that the network wasn't slow and that it was just another slow thing on the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 08:35 PM
    Does RIM allow you to change the default browser yet? So that links in e-mail open in Opera? Until I get the S2, I can't have many overlapping apps...
    No.

11-24-09 08:35 PM
    Bolt 1.5! I love it
    11-24-09 08:41 PM
    I don't have a particular problem with the browser. Web surfing on a mobile phone, although made better by BB hardware, is not particularly practical. It works to read some news and check things here and there while mobile. But I don't have near the expectations of a mobile browser that I do of a browser on my laptop.

On a side note, one kick I get out of Crackberry is that someone will yell out "I hate the browser." Then, like talking prairie dogs, about fifty folks will poke their heads out of their holes to yell out "I hate the browser". Good stuff.
    11-24-09 09:54 PM
    Open browser, go to options>browser configuration> uncheck support javascript.

Voila! Extremely fast Granted, on some pages you will need javascript but for the most part you will enjoy your browsing experience much more.
    Also, turn off "load background images". Do these two things and the browser is pretty darn fast (for a phone).
    11-24-09 10:41 PM
    The Storm browser is as good as any BB browser, unfortunately, none of them are any good. This is why RIM bought a company called Tourch and their webkit browser. By summer?????? we should see a brand new browser on most later model BBs, such as the Storm2, 9700 & 85XX.
    Do you think they'd push out an OTA upgrade to give it to the rest of us PK?
    11-25-09 06:19 AM
    On a side note, one kick I get out of Crackberry is that someone will yell out "I hate the browser." Then, like talking prairie dogs, about fifty folks will poke their heads out of their holes to yell out "I hate the browser". Good stuff.
    Isn't that the point of posting on an open forum? And anyone who thinks the stock BB browser is good hasn't loaded Opera or Bolt onto their phone for comparison. No, it isn't a laptop... but yes, it can have a full and useful web browser
    11-25-09 06:34 AM
    Isn't that the point of posting on an open forum? And anyone who thinks the stock BB browser is good hasn't loaded Opera or Bolt onto their phone for comparison. No, it isn't a laptop... but yes, it can have a full and useful web browser
    I'd load Opera if they offered Opera Mobile with proper Storm compatibility.
    11-25-09 07:56 AM
    I have had more problems witht he BB browser lately, before it seemed to be pretty quick and load everything, now I sometimes have to try 3-4 times to get a page to load, if at all. Beginning to get frustrating.
    11-25-09 08:04 AM
    I love the new 5.0 OS....maybe works even better on the S2
    11-25-09 12:28 PM
    I used Opera 4.2 and found it the fastest but limited on text entering. Second fastest was Bolt but awkward with links, and the third was the BB browser, but was the best for text input etc.

When I tried Opera Mini 5 beta i could not get it to work very well and didn't know how to use it. After changing the settings to those that were posted earlier, it rocks!! The main one that made the difference for me was changing from 'socket' to 'http'. Then finding out how to use it. I now have my main pages on the front short cut screen and can have them all open at the same time in tabs! All my twitter links open in opera, it's great for quick browsing and lik following. For forms I use the BB one. NO use for Bolt now.

With Opera Mini 5 and 5.0. 329 my storm is ...... STORMING!
    11-25-09 01:05 PM
    Okay seveal days after I posted this, Opera releases Opera Mini 5 beta 2. It must have been their response to my original question.

Anyhow after downloading OPA5b2 I got to answer my question with a; heck yeah! Wow I can't believe how much better opera is.

I must admit while surfing mobi friendly sites the difference is minimal, surfing more complicated sites is day and night.
    =X=

Last edited by _X_; 12-09-09 at 03:17 PM.
    12-09-09 03:14 PM
    I agree with you X. If you stick to mobile sites you will not see much difference. It's the full site where the difference is. This is the difference between Opera and Bolt too.

It's all about how the browser displays the site and how the browser allows you to work with the site.
    12-09-09 03:23 PM
    It's slow, it's primitive looking, it is primitive in the way it works, it is actually slower than my LG enV's browser, you have no tabbed browsing, and to go to another site or enter a new URL, you have to go back to the browser's home.

it's ****.
    12-09-09 03:31 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD