Pardon me if this has already been posted or asked, but I'm considering buying a Blackberry to replace my dead/dying cell phone (RAZR). I would most likely buy it outright ($499.99+tax?) to take it to T-mobile or just drop my AT&T sim in it, but I'm not thrilled about paying another 30 bucks for the web plan every month.

My question is this: If I buy it outright, do I need the data plan to use the phone just as a phone? If I buy it, all I need to use the "phone" features is a regular month-to-month contract, yes?

Radical idea, I know, but right now, that's all I need. The hubby plans to use the other features in the future, which is why I'm considering Blackberry and the Storm, (seems the best built, most reliable hardware on the market) but that's months down the road.

So, there it is. Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
    12-31-08 04:12 AM
    TTT for a little help, please...
    12-31-08 03:04 PM
    you cannot buy the storm (or any vzw blackberry) to use just as a phone. if you have a berry they make you get a data plan.
    12-31-08 03:06 PM
    No offense but what would be the point of owning a Storm without a data plan?

No mobile email. No mobile IM (it would then use texting). No web browsing. No thanks.
    12-31-08 03:25 PM
    No offense but what would be the point of owning a Storm without a data plan?

No mobile email. No mobile IM (it would then use texting). No web browsing. No thanks.
    Because by summer I will be needing the extra features, but my old phone is dying now, so I was buying with an eye to the future. I figure I can "tough it out" for six months before choosing a data plan.
    12-31-08 07:43 PM
    Unless, that is, Verizon will not sell the phone by itself for full retail.
    12-31-08 07:44 PM
    nope you need the data plan

if you're asking that question, you don't need a blackberry
    12-31-08 07:46 PM
    If your current phone is not working, I would just get another cheap phone to get by for now. In six months, there will be more unlocked Storms floating around for much cheaper than what they're going for now. And you never know, six months is a long time something new may divert your attention then
    12-31-08 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD